New Player's complaint?

Nightperson

A few things I found frustrated and confused as a new player

A. The Tutorial Help dialog box doesn't help newbies.

I started the game as a smuggler. Right after the movie of "my arrival" was done, I didn't know where I should go or how I should handle the mission. I didn't remember what was the first thing the tutorial dialog showed but it definitedly didn't tell me that I should open my map and found my way to the mission point. It didn't tell me that I should interact with items that lighted up. It was very confusing and frustrating

B. Tutorial Missions: Social Point and Modification:

a) For the social point mission, there must be a bug. I bought the badge and used it while I sent my companion on a crew mission. Right at the moment I clicked to use the badge, I got a message that telling me that my companion was required standing besides me. It was too late. The badge was gone and the mission was still in my log. I kept trying to buy the badge again but the vendor wouldn't sell me another one. He kept telling me that my social rank not high enough. I didn't know anything about social rank. I didn't know the social rank could be "consumed" either. I asked for customer service. The first personnel told me that the badge should be still in my inventory and I didn't need my companion for the mission. But it wasn't the case. Finally he told me to reset the mission so I did but I still couldn't buy the badge. I had kept trying for an hour. I got pretty frustrated. Then I asked for help again. The second personnel asked tons of questions but nothing helped. Actually, I am still not clear how the social system work. The tutorial help dialog didn't mention it at all.

Moreover, whenever I'm on, I haven't seen more than 10 persons at my location. Usually, there are only 6 or 7 players around. It is hard to get player to group with in order to get Flash point or Heroic missions done already. I believe players would be likely to group together to get tough missions done. Otherwise, we wouldn't be on a multiplayers game. It doesn't need some social system to encourage people to play together. While there are not enough players around, the social system is meaningless.

b) For the tutorial mission for modification, I don't see the point. Why do we need to learn how to use the Enhancement machine while we can modify items by clicking CTRL + <Right Mouse Button>. After I got the nice weapon, I took a look at it immediately. I guess most new players would do the same. We would definitely modify our weapons right there where the mission is completed. Then I found out there was a tutorial mission in my log and asked me to locate the modification machine. So I did, and I thought I might be able to modify the weapon further in some way with the machine. So I kept trying. Then I realized the tutorial mission only wanted me to find the lore beside it. This mission would confuse new players instead of helping them. All tutorial missions should be teaching a new player how to play the game. If the game wanted to tell us that we should search for lores on our exploration, it should use some exploration mission instead

D) Datacron:

The first datacron that all players found is supposed to be a tutorial mission. It is obvious. I haven't found another until I got to Taris. I remember the tutorial datacron was shown as a mission icon on my map. However, the one I found on Taris didn't show up on my map. Is it supposed not showning? Does the tutorial datacron mission mislead us again? Since that mission, I kept looking at my map to see if a datacron was nearby when I was exploring.

E) locations of mail and cargo access

I just reached Nar Shaddaa. I kept forgetting the location where the cargo access is. They would't show up on the map until I already found the sign of the mail box or the cargo access. What is the point if we need to get so close to the location in order to find them on the map?

F) Stuck too often

I haven't played a game I would stuck so often until now. It is so frustrating. Sometimes the /stuck command couldn't help. I had to wait for crits to regen to kill me if I already used my quick travel. Sometime I got stuck in the mid air and had to use quick travel to leap out. If you can't amend the problem soon enough, I would suggest we are allowed to "suicide". Although it is still frustraing, we don't need to wait for another 30 minutes for quick travel.

Edited by Nightperson

G. Grouping:

I finally got someone to group with me to get a heroic mission done. While he wanted to finish one of his bonus quest, I tried to help. But it seemed that nothing I killed added to his quest. Is it supposed to be so? Grouping is only for Flash point and Heroic mission? If that is the case, no wonder players are not encouraged to group up while they want to finish their quests. It is a long walk for most of missions. Most players don't want to quit in the middle until they are done. The regen rate is slow. Whenever there is more than one player in the area, we have to wait and wait for crits to regen in order to finish those bonus quests. So it seemed grouping up would slow down a player to finish his quest instead of helping?

Edited by Nightperson

First off welcome to swotor :)

D) Datacron:

The first datacron that all players found is supposed to be a tutorial mission. It is obvious. However, I haven't another until I got to Taris. I remember the tutorial datacron was shown as a mission icon on my map. However, the one I found on Taris didn't show up on my map. Is it supposed not showing? Does the tutorial datacron mission mislead us again?

I do not believe they show up on your map, they are hidden they supposed to be more difficult to find and you will have to go out of your way to find them.

I just reached Nar Shaddaa. I keep forgetting the location where the cargo access is. However it won't show up on the map until I have already found the sign of the mail box or the cargo access. What is the point if we need to get so close to the location in order to find them on the map?

I have noticed a few locations where the bank does not show up on the map. Nar shaddaa is one of them.

F) Stuck too often

I haven't played a game I would stuck so often until now. It is so frustrating. Sometimes the /stuck command couldn't help. I had to wait for crits to regen to kill me if I already used my quick travel. If you can't amend the problem soon enough, I would suggest we are allowed to "suicide".

If your lucky you can ask a sage to pull you out for example or the equivalent on the empire side, cant say I have ever been stuck, well.... with the exception of on voidstar doors.

G. Grouping:

I finally got someone to group with me to get a heroic mission done. While he wanted to finish one of his bonus quest, I tried to help. But it seemed that nothing I killed added to his quest. Is it supposed to be so? Grouping is only for Flash point and Heroic mission? If that is the case, no wonder players are not encouraged to group up while they want to finish their quests. It is a long walk for most of missions. Most players don't want to quit in the middle until they are done. The regen rate is slow. Whenever there is more than one player in the area, we have to wait and wait for crits to regen in order to finish those bonus quests. So grouping up would slow down a player to finish his quest instead of helping. So I just followed him around and did nothing until he was done.

Grouping is most definitely faster and is encouraged as you receive bonus XP while completing quests. you can level much quicker as group, however leveling solo is still pretty quick.

k.

Thank you for your welcome and reply, Kaesoron.

After I posted the message, I wondered who would have patience to read it. :)

How would grouping help doing the quest faster if other players' kill doesn't count? Or was it a bug too? When my friend killed something, I got the bonus quest message. But whenever I killed something, nothing was shown up. So I figured that I wasn't helping but slowing him down.

I like to explore, especially in games with great graphic like this one. But walking along the rocks or crashed site keep me stuck too often. It is pretty discouraging for exploration.

Anyway, thanks again.

Edited by Nightperson

Thank you for your welcome and reply, Kaesoron.

After I posted the message, I wondered who would have patience to read it. :)

How would grouping help doing the quest faster if other players' kill doesn't count? Or was it a bug too? When my friend killed something, I got the bonus quest message. But whenever I killed something, nothing was shown up. So I figured that I wasn't helping but slowing him down.

I like to explore, especially in games with great graphic like this one. But walking along the rocks or crashed site keep me stuck too often. It is pretty discouraging for exploration.

Anyway, thanks again.

Hmm... thinking about it "you" wont see his quest counter changing it only shows a notification upon completetion, he on the other hand should see the effect of you killing quest mobs.

k.

Moreover, whenever I'm on, I haven't seen more than 10 persons at my location. Usually, there are only 6 or 7 players around. It is hard to get player to group with in order to get Flash point or Heroic missions done already. I believe players would be likely to group together to get tough missions done. Otherwise, we wouldn't be on a multiplayers game. It doesn't need some social system to encourage people to play together. While there are not enough players around, the social system is meaningless.

Your going to be very, very surprised at the amount of ppl that refuse to group in this "MMO".

Your going to be very, very surprised at the amount of ppl that refuse to group in this "MMO".

Sounds like you may have rolled on a bad server with only 7-10 people in a area.

If I were you I'd reroll on the Covenant or Fatman...right now. Before you get deeper into your character. Either that or wait for transfer/merges.

That's somewhat a function of what server you're on. Some servers have very low population levels. Go to http://www.torstatus.net and see where yours ranks up. Here's an extended discussion of how to translate a torstatus number into something like the actual number of people you might see around.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=449144

If you need people, the best way to find them is to join a guild. Here are some places to start that process:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=447172

Paige

B. Tutorial Missions: Social Point and Modification:

a) For the social point mission, there must be a bug.

Sounds like you did get a bug, since what happened to you is not what is supposed to happen. Have you tried abandoning the quest and picking it up again? (This is different than resetting.)

Then I found out there was a tutorial mission in my log and asked me to locate the modification machine. So I did, and I thought I might be able to modify the weapon further in some way with the machine. So I kept trying. Then I realized the tutorial mission only wanted me to find the lore beside it. This mission would confuse new players instead of helping them.

The mission specifically says "find the LORE item." Moddable items also say "Click CTRL+Right Click to modify."

The mod stations are a hold-over from an earlier build when you had to use them to mod equipment.

D) Datacron:

The first datacron that all players found is supposed to be a tutorial mission.

No, it isn't. Datacrons are rewards for exploring (or looking up videos on YouTube.)

Is it supposed not showning?

Yes.

Does the tutorial datacron mission mislead us again?

Since there is no tutorial datacron mission, there is nothing to mislead.

I just reached Nar Shaddaa. I kept forgetting the location where the cargo access is. They would't show up on the map until I already found the sign of the mail box or the cargo access. What is the point if we need to get so close to the location in order to find them on the map?

Pull up your world map and select the Mail or Cargo Hold icon.

F) Stuck too often

I haven't played a game I would stuck so often until now.

You have bad luck, but that is your bad luck, not the game. None of my guildmates (who have several 50s) have gotten stuck a lot.

A few things I found frustrated and confused as a new player

A. The Tutorial Help dialog box doesn't help newbies.

I started the game as a smuggler. Right after the movie of "my arrival" was done, I didn't know where I should go or how I should handle the mission. I didn't remember what was the first thing the tutorial dialog showed but it definitedly didn't tell me that I should open my map and found my way to the mission point. It didn't tell me that I should interact with items that lighted up. It was very confusing and frustrating

Others have covered some of your other points, so I just wanted to hit on this.

I do agree that the game and tutorials don't really outline missions (such as an open triangle over someone's head means that they have a mission for you or that a triangle filled in green is where you turn in a mission, etc.).

I know I missed quite a few side missions the very first time I played through a starting area (during Beta). :confused:

I do know that the first two tutorials that pop up are "Moving" and "Missions". I just don't remember what the mission one says, but I'm fairly certain that it's not detailed enough for a player who is completely new to the game (and even MMOs in general).

After I noticed I didn't get any message from the system for my kill, I asked him if he got any. He told me that my kill didn't seem adding up to his quest.

This only happens if you are not within a certain proximity of him. It is suggested you stay with in sight of your gruopie.