The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Vanguard Rotations

KobiBeef

Im currently leveling a vanguard and Im abit clueless on rotations for this class. When tanking I seem to constantly loss aggro to my partners corso, smuggler tank companion, and groups are difficult to keep on me. During solo PVE I seem to constantly runout of ammo to fast and taking out mobs seems too slow.

I guess what I'm asking now is if there are any definitive rotations for vanguards for tanking and solo PVE, especially when soloing elite mobs were ammo runs out for too soon. Thanks

His companion's AI will auto-taunt anything it doesn't have aggro on. Taunt overrides everything. There's nothing you can do to keep up with that. I relax and go with the flow if I'm doing group quests with someone using a tank companion but it was pretty infuriating when I was trying to learn the ropes.

Energy management improves for vanguards later on. There's a definite mid-level period where it feels like you have most of the abilties that consume ammo but not many that restore it. Reserve powercell, recharge cells but crucially shield cycler and energy blast. Every vanguard tree has some mechanic for restoring cells. Until then just practise staying at max recharge rate and use more hammershot.

I myself use the word rotation but it's actually a priority order. I'm not sure what level you're at but at 50 I use the following order for tanking: Stockstrike > Pulse Cannon > High Impact Bolt > Ion Pulse > Hammershot

With Energy Blast used on CD. Optimally I'd time Reserve Powercell with Pulse Cannon but in reality that's just kept on CD too. Battle Focus I use when I have Stockstrike and Pulsecannon both ready to fire. If Recharge Cells is not ready I make sure to stay at max cell recharge rate.

Some people drop Pulse Cannon and use Sticky Grenade instead. The Pulse Cannon version is less affected by armour, has very slightly better energy management and benefits more from our spec but the Sticky Grenade version is more mobile and doesn't interfere with our ability to interrupt mobs.