[WIndows 7 Guide] How To Increase SWTOR Performance

Lunez

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

g - Restart regularly

It may help if you have 500 active torrents, but otherwise clean (not cracked and without viruses, spyware/adware & so on) and properly installed and configured Windows 7 may work months without restart ... and not loose FPS in SWTOR.

My Asus G75 is sleeping when not in use (clear sleep not hybrid one ... up to 48 hours may stay without draining battery) until major/critical update is released from Microsoft.

Last time played without restart more than a month.

Do not rely one restarts, if you have to - there is another issue you have.

P.S. - My old laptop had test release Windows 2003 Server ... that was hibernated 6 months without reboot and had not lost performance at all.

Edited by morfius

• 1 year later...

Wonderful! Thanks for this guide. I followed the instructions and got a much better overall score under Windows. From 4.6 to 5.7

I did not defrag my HD, but someone told me that Windows defrag is not the best. Any recommendations? I would also like to know how to defrag just the SWTOR directory.

Wonderful! Thanks for this guide. I followed the instructions and got a much better overall score under Windows. From 4.6 to 5.7

I did not defrag my HD, but someone told me that Windows defrag is not the best. Any recommendations? I would also like to know how to defrag just the SWTOR directory.

First, disclaimer, never defrag a SSD.

For a hard drive, defraggler is nice, and free. It actually uses Windows own defrag engine, but it uses it's own placement engine, so it should be safe, and better than the built in copy, and it allows you to just defrag specific files.

One more tip...

Update you drivers, starting with your video card drivers... AMD and nVidia release new drivers all the time, many times the performance improvements are very worthwhile.

A nice tool for cleaning up junk is ccleaner which is a free program.