Advice to Devs

Orionmajor

First I might as well introduce myself: I am an * year veteran of MMO's , most of that time being spent on superhero ones like City of Heroes, and DCUO. I like the game so far, but I see some warning sides that need to be adressed now. I offer this because I have seen the cycle of MMOs repeat themselves: game opens well, gets good hype, then declines, stooges whine and cry for free to play. Some games handle free to play well, but many of them are simply awful, and not only do I not want SWTOR to go down that well traveled path, but I want there to be MMos worth paying for. If SWTOR does not make it, than MMOs can become the "bad neighborhood" of games, where the houses were fancy once upon a time, but now you would not get caught dead in them.

The number one flaw in this game is that it feels very much like KOTOR: a single game, as opposed to an MMO. Granted, it is an EXCELLENT game, as Kotor was, but there is little feeling of MMOs; trying to plan group events often winds up being a pain. Granted, I have heard some servers are a LOT different than others, but if that is the case, there are some things that can and should be done early.

One of them is to merge servers, or at least consolidate them better. In a grid like the Star Wars one, servers less than 300 can be cavernous. I like the fact that SW got too many servers as opposed to too few, but if they do not merge servers, at least some parts of the game need to be easier for people to meet. Perhaps some missions can be done on certain servers, ones where people can be collected together, or perhaps servers can be organized by timezone (perhaps a west coast us group, a West Europe group, etc.) I know that DCUO was neasrly destroyed because their grids were dead, but when they did server merge, the situation improved a lot. Metropolis looked like a city full of heroes, which it should. Perhaps Coruscant and Dromund Kass could be centers for an instance teleport, where people from different servers could be ported to the same missions.

I offer this because I want to see this game, and MMos in general, do well. I do not want to have the FTP types go "see, I told ya it was going ftp" because we know d**mned well that that usually means a once grand neighborhood is going to go to the slums.

Greetings everyone!

We appreciate your constructive feedback! Since we have a few threads on the various topics regarding Server Population and suggestions for it, we are going to close this thread and ask that you please continue your discussion here:

You can find more information regarding Character Transfers in our Community Q + A Blog for April 27th, 2012:

Arymono: When will character transfers be available for everybody?

Dallas Dickinson (Senior Producer, Live Services): We will be rolling out our Character Transfer Service in early summer. First we’ll have some targeted free transfers from/to specific servers, but that will be followed with a broader system where you can either take advantage of free promotional transfers to specific servers or paid transfers to the server of your choice. We know everyone has more questions about character transfer, and we’ll reveal more details closer to the launch date.

We have a bit more information on how character transfers will effect other aspects of the game in our Community Q + A Blog for May 25th, 2012:

RKLimes: I recall a developer post indicating the results of transferring a character with a Legacy from one server onto another where a Legacy also exists, the highest level legacy would simple be applied rather than added. Since higher Legacy level does not necessarily equal greatest number of Legacy unlocks, will any and all unlocks be granted from either Legacies, or only those of the highest?

Daniel: Legacies will be merged in the most advantageous possible way for the player. They’re your rewards, you earned them, we don’t want to prevent you from moving them wherever you like. So any unlocks gained by the character you’re moving will come with that character, even if the Legacy they are moving into is a lower level.

You can find this answer and more in our Weekly Q&A Archive!

We hope this helps and we look forward to your feedback! :)

Edited by Ellvaan