Social: The Mentor / Sidekick system

DarthZwicky

Hi guys,

I Know, there is other thread abouts this, but I couldn't find them, so I started a new one.

I'd like to talk about, in my opinion, the major social issue with this game. I've read all sorts of post like: "The Old Republic is the best single-player MMO ever." and "Is is just me, or people in this game aren't social".

Well, It has nothing to do with people. The major problem is the level discrepancies. It's the major barrier between people. This game seriously needs a Mentor system. The party leader's level sets the level of the entire party. For example, a level 50 Jedi Master that would team up with a lvl 6 jedi padawan, would have the stats of a lvl 5 Jedi. And it's only about numbers. The lvl 50 would only have 10% of it health, 10% of it's armor rating and 10% of it's dmg output. (5 lvl out of 50 = 10% in that case). He would only be able to use the abilities available at that lvl, all the other abilities would be grayed out. And the reverse would be the same, if the lvl 50 Jedi Master is the party leader, well the lvl 6 padawan is considered to be lvl 49 stats wise. The padawan wouldn't have any abilities of the lvl 49, but the output of his few padawan abilities would be like a lvl 49. And it could be an option that we can turn on and off.

I played for a while City of heroes, and there was never any problem to team up with people, no matter which toon I logged on with. I think you can put any group finder system you want, the fact is that a lvl 50 Jedi Master will never team up with a lvl 10 smuggler friend to do the flashpoint, the esseles, it would really be boring for both of them.

I hope that Bioware will put a system like that soon. It would make the game even more awesome than it is already.

Thanks for reading.

• 2 months later...

This would be exceedingly good.

I was unable to play a lot in June and July, but still feel it was worth my sub money. However, now the group I was with are all well past me (or they have a few newer characters who are well behind me). It would be nice if we could still play together as a group, but without having characters in the same level range, it is not possible.

Because of this I was thinking of canceling my sub the next time it comes time to pay (but the F2P announcement will likely convince me to stay subscribed, because my experience with F2P has been very positive, games that head that way normally improve considerably, at least for a bit, and this one is already very good).