Overkill - What stat is Power

nedbeverage

Thank you for the reply! I kind of thought that's what it was; but then thought Crit was DPS, Redoubt was Defense, so Overkill might be something else.

Actually, Crit impacts how often you crit and surge affects how much damage or healing a crit does when it goes off.

Basically, Critical and Overkill are fine for healing and DPS, and Redoubt is only really good for tanking. As far as purples go, I recommend Endowment or Fervor for DPS, Vehemence or Supremacy for healing, and Veracity for tanking.

As far as purples go, I recommend Endowment or Fervor for DPS,

No, Expert is the best DPS purple, it has Power, Crit, Surge and Strength... no other purple has those 4 stats.

Toss in an Augment, and you have the best stats for DPS until the Black Hole (more or less).

I have an Armormech, I understand what Critical and Redoubt do, but what does Overkills +Power do.

Wouldn't it be cool if you could mouse over stats on your character screen, and a friendly tooltip would pop up showing you exactly what stats do what, and how your stats affect your abilities?

Oh wait, they do.

No, Expert is the best DPS purple, it has Power, Crit, Surge and Strength... no other purple has those 4 stats.

Toss in an Augment, and you have the best stats for DPS until the Black Hole (more or less).

Actually, Expert is +Power and +Surge, Any crit (or strength) on the item was there prior to it being RE'd at all...

That being said, I'd say it's the best one too, since Power has no soft cap, and most of the build guides I've seen rank Power over all the other secondaries. (other than for tanks, obviously)

(Oh, and PS. Also argue it's best for healing. Alacrity just drains your resources faster, doesn't help as much as more healing for the cost.)

Edited by GnatB

Wouldn't it be cool if you could mouse over stats on your character screen, and a friendly tooltip would pop up showing you exactly what stats do what, and how your stats affect your abilities?

Oh wait, they do.

Thanks for the replies everybody, sorry if I offended GnatB! I'm new to this game and you might notice the forums have no search function, so I am stuck asking my newb questions.

That being said, I'd say it's the best one too, since Power has no soft cap, and most of the build guides I've seen rank Power over all the other secondaries. (other than for tanks, obviously)

(Oh, and PS. Also argue it's best for healing. Alacrity just drains your resources faster, doesn't help as much as more healing for the cost.)

Fair enough. I suppose it depends on the class in question. Alacrity is better for Sage healers than for Scoundrels or Commandos, since they regen Force at a constant rate and do have a few big heals with long cast times. And for builds like the Gunnery Commando, the Telekinetics Sage, or the Watchman Sentinel, which rely on getting critical hits with certain attacks (for resource management in the first two and health regeneration in the third), crit is preferable to power--up to a point, of course, due to the soft cap on crit.

I'm going to say that power+surge is a bad combination, though. Surge only really gets you where you want to be if you have a decent crit rating. And as long as I'm here, accuracy is highly important only if you're trying to make yourself a tank-killer, to reduce the chance of attacks being deflected. (And that goes only for deflection tanks like the Shadow; to counter the mitigation of shielding tanks like the Vanguard, stack your crit.)

I'm going to say that power+surge is a bad combination, though. Surge only really gets you where you want to be if you have a decent crit rating.

Fair enough. But none of the other tertiaries are any better, and IIRC getting to tier 2 does increase the power some, as well as armor/damage (if blue to purple)

And from what I understand, even for sage/sorc, with recentish changes they need to be more careful about force management, so again, more bang for the buck, as opposed to blowing through their force faster, is arguably better.

edit:

Thanks for the replies everybody, sorry if I offended GnatB! I'm new to this game and you might notice the forums have no search function, so I am stuck asking my newb questions.

Yes, but some simple experimentation in-game would have given you the answer. You don't NEED a forum anything to figure it out. (and P.S. They do have a search function. Large as heck text entry box with "Search" next to it just below and to the right of the "Star wars the old republic" logo.)

Edited by GnatB