The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Confused about Vanguard main stat

Emander

Hi all,

Since I like crafting, I picked up Armormech and supporting skills so that I can create my own armor as a Vanguard. Reasoning behind this was that armor needs the most pieces, so I will save more money as opposed to doing Armstech.

Since all items of the heavy armor set have two different versions of the same armor, where only the stats differ, I was wondering if the Vanguard has a different main stat than the Commando.

So how does this work? Is aim also the main stat of the Vanguard, or is this endurance, due to the tanking ability?

Any info is highly appreciated.

All Troopers, Commando or Vanguard, use AIM.

Tanking Vanguards may favor or weigh more towards Endurance, but still ultimately use Aim gear.

(What I mean is, a DPS vanguard might wear a piece that has 60 aim and 40 Endu, while a Tanking vanguard might want the piece with 60 endu and 40 Aim.)

Fordel pretty much nailed it. Either way, all of your gear should have both Aim and Endurance, but the ratio between the two may differ for a Vanguard vs. a Commando.

When you start crafting gear with secondary stats, the differences are more noticeable. As a tanking Vanguard, you'll probably want more Defense Rating and Shield Rating than, say, Critical Rating, Alacrity or Surge Rating. Also, it's no coincidence that items and mods that have Defense/Shield stats also tend to have higher Endurance than Aim. ;)

Thanks for the replies guys.

So that means that for my Vanguard it would make sense to pick those with stats that lean more towards Endurance than Aim, even though I would want both. Am I correct?

This is basically what I was wondering, since when crafting armor, I usually have two identical looking pieces of armor but one with stats where the focus is more on Aim, and the other on Endurance, even though they are both present.

Having read that Aim determines the critical hit rating and such, I was wondering what would be best for my Vanguard. But reading your replies, that would be more important for the Commando, who relies more on Aim than on Endurance.

To try to make things simpler, Aim does EVERYTHING for you, more power, more crit, better tech power, everything, you always want Aim.

If your tanking, you will want more endurance so you can stay alive longer and give a healer more leeway if things go wrong, but you need to find a nice line between having tons of aim and endurance since if you don't hit hard enough, you'll lose threat, not to mention killing anything will take FOREVER.

If you go DPS you want as much aim as possible since again, it does everything for you.

Thanks for the replies guys.

So that means that for my Vanguard it would make sense to pick those with stats that lean more towards Endurance than Aim, even though I would want both. Am I correct?

This is basically what I was wondering, since when crafting armor, I usually have two identical looking pieces of armor but one with stats where the focus is more on Aim, and the other on Endurance, even though they are both present.

Having read that Aim determines the critical hit rating and such, I was wondering what would be best for my Vanguard. But reading your replies, that would be more important for the Commando, who relies more on Aim than on Endurance.

It depends on your particular style of play. A vanguard can focus on damage, in which case Aim would be just as important as it is for a Commando. A tanking vanguard, on the other hand, would want to focus more on Endurance than Aim.