The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Server transfers at launch. Problem?

Drom

I'm asking. What's the problem? Introduce server transfers right from launch and let players to move freely from server to server and fluently cast out empty servers with no fuzz around. I mean, come on! Even successful MMOs have to merge/transfer players at some point so why don't anticipate it and prepare for it?

Make it once every 2 or 3 months for free and for $5 anytime and present it as core feature at launch and you're golden.

1) minimum complains about low population servers

2) no bad press about introducing transfers later in live service = dead game

What do you think?

No clue.

IMO, especially with the Legacy system in this game, more thought should of been put into this from the get-go.

How do you come up with a system like the Legacy, and not forsee the need for things like

-Global(all servers) Legacy names

-Global Legacy Perks

-Ability to transfer between 'Legacy' servers.

???

I guess they just ran out of development time. I don't know what they were doing all that time, but even Legacy wasn't launch feature and that's why there is no bigger picture in it. It's in general very underwhelming system as they added it in 1.2. Shame. It's too late to fix this. Damage's been done. People complaing about low server populations, quitting game and not gonna come back.

I'm not saying it's the main reason why people quitting at this point, but it doesn't help :D

I'm asking. What's the problem? Introduce server transfers right from launch and let players to move freely from server to server and fluently cast out empty servers with no fuzz around. I mean, come on! Even successful MMOs have to merge/transfer players at some point so why don't anticipate it and prepare for it?

Make it once every 2 or 3 months for free and for $5 anytime and present it as core feature at launch and you're golden.

What do you think?

free once every 2-3 months i agree with as long as it isn't free once a week that killed RIFT for me

free once every 2-3 months i agree with as long as it isn't free once a week that killed RIFT for me

yeah, you need to keep community together, so once every 90 days is pretty good imo.

Why are we even discussing why they did or didn't do something at launch? They already said why they didn't, the system wasn't in place since they were problem solving the legacy issue. Quite a few games dont' let you transfer at launch anyway since you can easily just create a new character if you dont like the server your on anyway. Not to mention server populations are severly imbalanced and erratic during the first few months.

Granted they opened up too many servers because everyone B**** about Queus which has caused some of the population problems we have now. They did the right thing by letting everything calm down first before doing massive transfers.

Doesn't mean it doesn't suck though to be on a standard or a light server wanting to move to a fuller server, when they could of started rolling out transfers after they used them for the Oceanic servers (test bed obviously).

Either way its coming free and paid versions..isn't that good enough? Why does it matter? I mean honestly I dont think I've played any major mmos that offered transfers on day 1, I can only imagine the nightmare for the devs, the support staff, and the server staff trying to handle launch bugs and transfer bugs. Atleast most of the major launch bugs are out (though I wish they'd fix Boarding Party & Foundry's bugged bosses).

Edited by Kindara

What do you think?

They had already planned server transfers shortly after launch. Unfortunately, the legacy system buggered everything up. Won't be much longer.

They had already planned server transfers shortly after launch. Unfortunately, the legacy system buggered everything up. Won't be much longer.

kinda too late, but w/e. Free month's away and now we're gonna see the massive drop.