Server Transfer Worries

AvalonTreman

I currently play on the Lord Ieldis server, and I'm sure that the population there isn't as high as other servers. I know a couple people are looking to server transfer as soon as it comes out.

My only worry is that, if everyone server transfers to a higher population, what will happen to the status of the server, as far as Warzones, the upcoming LFG tool, etc.

And while I won't knock people for wanting higher populations, but I won't do a server transfer unless I can take all my characters with me.

And even then I wouldn't leave because of the guild I'm in is a good guild with lots of good people.

I'll end my dumb rant. My question is: (TL;DR version)

Will server transfers only transfer one character, all characters, and will we have to pay for each character if it's the former?

And if lots of people transfer servers, what'll happen to the lower pop. servers?

No one knows yet. They might force you to transfer to an allocated server, then shut down yours, as you can see it has some benefits over mergers, as you can choose to either go with your friends or simply start fresh. Who knows.

I currently play on the Lord Ieldis server, and I'm sure that the population there isn't as high as other servers. I know a couple people are looking to server transfer as soon as it comes out.

My only worry is that, if everyone server transfers to a higher population, what will happen to the status of the server, as far as Warzones, the upcoming LFG tool, etc.

And while I won't knock people for wanting higher populations, but I won't do a server transfer unless I can take all my characters with me.

And even then I wouldn't leave because of the guild I'm in is a good guild with lots of good people.

Will server transfers only transfer one character, all characters, and will we have to pay for each character if it's the former?

And if lots of people transfer servers, what'll happen to the lower pop. servers?

Well lets look at it logically from a business perspective.........Cuz, in the end, money is what its about, right? Right...

So, once server transfers open, those servers from which people are leaving will obviously become barren wastelands, not that they aren't allready. So warzones etc are done for.............They will probably shut those down eventually and move everyone off or just kill the toons that are inactive on it........

Transfers imo will be on a per character basis. Its too much work to expect Bio to transfer your whole toon lineup. And they can make ALOT of money by doing this.

Either way, if your server is light, it most probably will die....../shrug

Just a question of when...................

No one knows yet. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if they do something like Rift did last year with GREAT success. That is, put a server MOTD message on low-pop servers informing players of its imminent shut-down in so many weeks, allow everyone to transfer to wherever they want to go, then shut it down.

Anyone left behind gets a server list upon login, pick a server, click login, done. Easy as that.

Also, seeing as how BioWare transferred entire guilds into the game at launch, I don't see why they won't offer Guild Transfers, too.

- server transfer is for whole legacy and overrides lower lvl chars on designated servers if you have any there

- server transfer is avaible only to designated servers (probably those in top 20 population without the top 5 which are "ok")

My biggest worry is that "free transfer" means transfering one character from low pop server to another low pop server chosen by BW. Any other transfer is going to cost. That's what I'm afraid of - that they mess character transfers up.

I wish they'd give us a free choice.

My biggest worry is that "free transfer" means transfering one character from low pop server to another low pop server chosen by BW. Any other transfer is going to cost. That's what I'm afraid of - that they mess character transfers up.

I wish they'd give us a free choice.

I doubt that's the case. No, I don't have any quotes to back that up, but I doubt it's the case. The reason why it's NOT a good idea to allow a free-for-all transfer is because I wouldn't put it past these players on low-pops, being the morale there is so low, to move enmasse to heavy servers. That would only make matter worse, where you'd have a bunch of servers with queues, and the other half still dead.

No, a controlled flow to Standards, with heavies not available at first is the way to go, then have paid transfers to heavies to make it available, but still stem the flow.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

Also, seeing as how BioWare transferred entire guilds into the game at launch, I don't see why they won't offer Guild Transfers, too.

Actually BW did not transfer any guilds 'ino the gsme' at launch they merely had a server flagged with an icon when you first logged in, but you could log in anywhere.

As it was many guilds ignored that flag and went elsewhere.

I doubt very much that they will have an auto guild transfer mechanism.

Actually BW did not transfer any guilds 'ino the gsme' at launch they merely had a server flagged with an icon when you first logged in, but you could log in anywhere.

As it was many guilds ignored that flag and went elsewhere.

I doubt very much that they will have an auto guild transfer mechanism.

Are you stalking me with your semantics?

Not necessary this time.

If someone wasn't around at launch..what would you infer from 'Bioware transferred entire Guilds into the game' ?

And how do you think it works on transfers? Really, once a player chooses the server, it's "flagged" as the destination, anyway. Give the guild leader the ability to "flag" the target server the same way, and a message to members notifying them.

Then, just like launch, it's up to each player to accept that flag or not. That part is already in place.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

All I know is, I wont transfer, unless all my characters in my legacy can come with my main toon. I won't transfer, unless the guild I am with, want to transfer, so I will move with them, because I like the guild I am with, and would prefer to stick with them as well.