ToS Violation for name ????

DCGoth

Just because this thread has a lot of pages doesn't really prove that it's important to judge and rate people's names in an mmo. I'm pretty sure that a number of the pages on this thread are full of statements from people who are expressing how stupid it is that someone would spend time in an mmo reporting names for what they feel is "lack of originality".

My point is this: This mmo is full of fun activities and has an engaging story for each and every class. Lots to do without having to spend your time acting as the "Name Police".

Just my humble $0.02.

You're right, next time my immersion is broken by someone named Xxarthasdk, I'll just pretend the character's name is from a very exotic language, and not that he's probably some stupid kid.

Edited by Chomag

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right, next time I see someone named Xxarthasdk, I'll just pretend the character's name is from a very exotic language, and not that he's probably some stupid kid.

Well, I personally don't have to pretend anything as far as some other player's chosen name. I'm just too busy going about my business, questing, levelling, running flashpoints, and generally just having fun playing the game. Someone's name has never bothered me to the point where I had to concentrate on it, let alone "pretend" anything. But hey, that's just me... *shrug*

It is offensive because people want an immersive game and someone running around with a stupid name or some reference from RL stuff, is going to break that immersion.

It doesn't have to be Hitler to be offensive.

Seeing people's names floating over their head in the first place doesn't break your immersion, but a stupid name does.

Someone needs to pull the stick out... seriously. No one cares about your "immersion."

Edited by Mannic

Seeing people's names floating over their head in the first place doesn't break your immersion, but a stupid name does.

Someone needs to pull the stick out... seriously. No one cares about your "immersion."

Well apparently a lot do since the OP's name was taken out, and I think even the GMs may be caring about my immersion. Surprise!

Edited by Chomag

LOL

+10 internetz

I just don't know what happened to "mind-your-own-business." Where I come from being a tattle-tale over something so minor is considered really lame.

The worst part is now someone who just chose an "immersion breaking" name and is probably doing nothing but minding their own business and playing their game, suddenly gets a nasty-gram from BW because of some loser who couldn't mind his own business.

Pretty sure at this point BW is using the same policy as this forum-- meaning that anything goes unless it gets reported, and almost anything that gets reported results in a "warning" because offending anyone for any reason is a violation on these forums.

Edited by Mannic

Simple truth is that when it comes to diseases, people who actually suffer from these diseases might very well be offended. As long as you don't know how badly certain diseases can affect people, I think it's rather ignorant to say that a name like that can't be or isn't offensive.

That aside, it's a common thing in games with MMO to come up with diseases as names because then in the game, when someone is killed by you, their chat channel will say something like "you were killed by anemia" in your case.

Some disease are worse than others, but I think as a rule of thumb, choosing an actual existing disease or condition is at least in poor taste and can be offensive to people.

I am not shocked or offended easily, but I do think names like this (and many others) are childish and ignorant at best. Even if it doesn't phase me, I can see how people might find it offensive.

Don't forget that there are some general filters for name creations, but mostly aimed against profinaty, which can be easily circumvented with spelling alterations. After that, they don't go out and check all names. They just check incoming reports and that's it. So don't be surprised when some people haven't had their name changed...guess they just haven't been reported, that's all.

This perspective is somewhat funny/revealing to me.

In WoW I managed to snag the name rabies and put it on a worgen hunter. I just grabbed it as a play on being a lupine character named for a disease that has some cultural subtexts linking the two. I never even considered the idea that people would see a chatlog message saying they were killed by rabies.

I think this is a good lesson to remember about the differences in our thinking and perspectives, and making assumptions about them.

I just don't know what happened to "mind-your-own-business." Where I come from being a tattle-tale over something so minor is considered really lame.

The worst part is now someone who just chose an "immersion breaking" name and is probably doing nothing but minding their own business and playing their game, suddenly gets a nasty-gram from BW because of some loser who couldn't mind his own business.

Right, so just because you have no idea what immersion is, it means everyone who does give a crap about it is a loser.

Oh, I too see a loser here but I'm afraid it's not the one you think it is.

Edited by Chomag

I don't know why people can't just pick a name that fits with Star Wars and enjoy the game. Names like that are just silly, juvenile, and annoying.

I'd be happy if Bioware took this kind of nonsense seriously for once so we can have a mature environment rather than a junior high cafeteria, it would be a nice change of pace.

You do realize in the Trooper starting quest story, There is a guy named GEARBOX... GEARBOX, seriously.. Star Wars has many different kinds of names, You can have Luke, or Chewbacca. Some people need to grow the hell up.

Simple truth is that when it comes to diseases, people who actually suffer from these diseases might very well be offended. As long as you don't know how badly certain diseases can affect people, I think it's rather ignorant to say that a name like that can't be or isn't offensive.

That aside, it's a common thing in games with MMO to come up with diseases as names because then in the game, when someone is killed by you, their chat channel will say something like "you were killed by anemia" in your case.

Some disease are worse than others, but I think as a rule of thumb, choosing an actual existing disease or condition is at least in poor taste and can be offensive to people.

I am not shocked or offended easily, but I do think names like this (and many others) are childish and ignorant at best. Even if it doesn't phase me, I can see how people might find it offensive.

Don't forget that there are some general filters for name creations, but mostly aimed against profinaty, which can be easily circumvented with spelling alterations. After that, they don't go out and check all names. They just check incoming reports and that's it. So don't be surprised when some people haven't had their name changed...guess they just haven't been reported, that's all.

IMO, if people spent less time being offended over complete rubbish and a lot more time minding their own business, the world would be a better place.

Yeah, I don't know how someone gets to the point where they're concentrating more on someone's character name than they are on the gameplay, story, and other key elements that are to be enjoyed in an mmo. But however it happens, all I have to say to these people is, well, this.

Right, so just because you have no idea what immersion is, it means everyone who does give a crap about it is a loser.

Oh, I too see a loser here but I'm afraid it's not the one you think it is.

I think that if you are on an RP server the point is valid, otherwise you have already forfeited the right to complain about breaking immersion. Non-RP servers do not have the social contract between players to respect and promote mutual immersion (implicit or explicit).

You do realize in the Trooper starting quest story, There is a guy named GEARBOX... GEARBOX, seriously.. Star Wars has many different kinds of names, You can have Luke, or Chewbacca. Some people need to grow the hell up.

There's also an NPC you run into on the Imperial side named "Toybox."

I should report it. Because both "toy" and "box" are very sexually suggestive and I don't think the name is appropriate for a Teen game.

Or I could just mind my own damned business and get on with my day.

I remember in SWG there was a player name K-Mart for years, then one day he logged in and his name was changed to Telephone.

Devs said it was that, or delete the character.

Ha.

Because K-Mart is immersion breaking but "Telephone" isn't? Or am I missing the joke?

For clarity, people who support the restriction on the name are saying roughly this:

"When I'm running a light-saber through someone's back, or zapping a torture victim with lightening from my fingertips, I don't want to be reminded of a mild blood disorder.

It is offensive and/or ruins my immersion."

There's also an NPC you run into on the Imperial side named "Toybox."

I should report it. Because both "toy" and "box" are very sexually suggestive and I don't think the name is appropriate for a Teen game.

Or I could just mind my own damned business and get on with my day.

Wow. Toybox? Seriously!?

And people are complaining about the word "Anemia"?

So much stupid, so little time...

I believe 'immersion breaking' is just something people like to hide behind. I don't believe for a second that a silly name can break your immersion in such a manner that you feel you need to do something about it.

Then again, I don't pay attention to someone's name all that much to begin with, so I probably just don't understand the fuss.

For clarity, people who support the restriction on the name are saying roughly this:

"When I'm running a light-saber through someone's back, or zapping a torture victim with lightening from my fingertips, I don't want to be reminded of a mild blood disorder.

It is offensive and/or ruins my immersion."

That's basically it.

"While I'm fantasizing that I am ripping apart some hapless weakling from the inside out and taking delight in his agony, I don't want to be reminded that there are bad things in the world."

Edited by Mannic

I believe 'immersion breaking' is just something people like to hide behind. I don't believe for a second that a silly name can break your immersion in such a manner that you feel you need to do something about it.

Then again, I don't pay attention to someone's name all that much to begin with, so I probably just don't understand the fuss.

Excuse me sir, I think you should change your name.

I have a fear of being stabbed in the night by sneaky people and that fear ruins my immersion when I'm posting on these forums.

P.S.: I'm also on a diet, and therefore cannot have any McDonalds. So the "mc" in your name is also quite offensive, as it is making me hungry. do be so kind as to change your name...

I have a fear of being stabbed in the night by sneaky people and that fear ruins my immersion when I'm posting on these forums.

P.S.: I'm also on a diet, and therefore cannot have any McDonalds. So the "mc" in your name is also quite offensive, as it is making me hungry. do be so kind as to change your name...

Terribly sorry sir. However, I take offense to your second statement because it was derived from the mcSalad.

I think you should change your name. Your name reminds me of the Pythagorean Theorum, and I don't want to have my immersion broken by suddenly being reminded that I've forgotten how to calculate the hypotenuse of a right triangle.

Also, the name is Greek in origin and there are no damned Greeks in Star Wars.

Edited by Mannic