The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Smoke Grenade useless for us?

Danapa

So according to this guide http://taugrim.com/2012/01/19/understanding-swtors-avoidance-and-mitigation-mechanics-for-tanks-in-pvp/ the first roll its accuracy vs defense,and the second its crit vs shield since we are shield based tanks why do we have this talent? i have like 10% defense on my vanguard,i dont know what the impact of this skill really is on my dodges but why dont give us a skill that lows crit instead? or something usefull to our tank style? it is worth it combined with the defense relic? /discuss Edited by Danapa

So based on that article, why do you think smoke grenade is a useless skill? That article talks about PvP, where defensive gear <<<< DPS gear as a rule, even so, defence is probably the best stat to have in PvP, based on what Taugrim wrote there.

In PvE tanking, smoke grenade is an absolutely amazing and essential skill to have. It debuffs all targets around you with -25% accuracy, which is even better than giving you defence (defence caps out at about 25%), as it stacks with the defence on your char.

As it is a debuff, you can even use it to help your party members survive, or help the other tank in raids where you have 2.

Accuracy debuffs are an additional (to guard and taunt) way to save healers from dying. Especially vs non rage maradeurs, snipers, pyrotechs (in some parts - see railshot).

If you mean if will save you and only you, who cares about solo pugging.

Yeah... I don't see how you could think this is useless. -25% accuracy is a 1/4 chance to miss you with weapon attacks. There are some classes that this doesn't bother in PvP, but against Juggernauts, Marauders, Snipers, and Vanguards/Assassins to a lesser extent, it impacts a large majority of skills. For one talent point, that's a powerful defensive and support skill.

When your spec is built around defensive cd's I think this is another vital one to have.

20% is not huge but I prefer it due to its duration. Rather than the others that have a higher miss chance and shorter application time.

Smoke grenade gives you a 20% additional chance to dodge. You'll dodge just less than 1 in 4 against someone who has accuracy raid-boss optimally stacked. Things like ravage (marauder) or ambush (sniper) for instance which are both pure weapon damage. It's also an AOE. It's very good actually.