The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

gear advice

evilharb

Ok - finally hit level 50 today - yay! - and I'm going to give the whole pvp thing a try. What i'm hoping is that some of the more experienced pvp'ers out there might be able to help advise me on which gear set to go for as a target to work towards.

After checking out the various sets I could get from the Battlemaster pvp vendor I think the Eliminator set would be best for me (looking at the set bonuses it gives) - but I've always been curious about one thing: stat trading. For example: the Eliminators Helmet gives me a loss of +28 crit rating but I get a bonus of +100 expertise rating - is that bad or good? I did hear somewhere that certain stats you would normally be concerned about losing aren't so much of a worry when gearing up for pvp...but if anyone can put my mind at rest I'd certainly appreciate it :)

I should probbaly say that I've been levelling as a tank upto now, but after watching things like Taugrims excellent video (which i think he's running as a dps spec?!) I'm going to try and go for the toe-to-toe style of play and do things like guarding when I can.

We need a bit more informaiton such as spec and style of play ;p.

Taugrim has two videos. 1 for Iron fist a more defensive tree, and one for Norse Build which does not use guard.

Heh - sorry bout that :) Upto level 50 I was using the following spec:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301G0GrdoroGRZMcbZ0c.1

I am definately thinking of switching to a different build for pvp but hopefully that chosen build will let me do the dailies well enough still.

I have been watching his Iron Fist video a bit and it seems a really good thing to follow. For myself I generally try and protect the healers when I can but otherwise try to get stuck in and hit hard when I can and keep those targets occupied (and hopefuly take them down either solo or with others help a.a.s.p.) - I've not played too much of this style of play but I have found myself beinf drawn to it more and more. Whilst not strictly tanking I do find it quite fun being able to dish out the damage and keep on on ticking - I guess the best way I could describe my style of play is literally a bit like Taugrim's video play style.

First of all, do not put too much weight on videos/advice/guides that is more than 2 months old. Many things changed, and certainly after 1.2 for PvP. This forum gives you the best up to date advice/tips outside of your own ingame experience. We're probably the most active AC forum on the site.

That said, the ONLY spec that benefits from Eliminator set is Pyro. Do not bother at all with it if you are not 100% sure you will PvP as a Pyro, and remain as such. Because of how upgrades work towards War Hero gear, choosing the right BM gear type is important. If you pick Eliminator set and go pyro, then down the road you decide to respec AP or ST, your Eliminator pieces can not be upgraded to another set type of War Hero. So you will have to grind a whole new BM set before upgrading, not that it is difficult to do these days, but still frustrating.

That said, I dont know of any serious PvPer who just gets a PvP set and keeps all the mods as is. You will have to remod quite a few pieces, regardless of which set you chose.

The main stat for PvP is Expertise. Period. 1100+ is your Goal. NO OTHER stat has priority over Expertise until that point. Once you are at 1100+ then you can focus on other stats. To me, I still feel (after Expertise) Aim>Power>Surge>Crit for a DPS PT. But I think depending on your playstyle, the group you are running with (premade vs solo), you can have different priorities. For example, I run with my premade without a tank. We're usually 3 dps + 1 healer or 2dps + 2healers. I opted for 2pc Combat Medic + 2pc Supercom(PvE) to maximize my Energy Shield and make great use of Energy Rebounder (Pyro talent). It works great for me.