Power of the Dark Side

Theandul

The fight against Maul is actually the reason Obi-Wan adopted and mastered the Soresu Form. He was able to see in retrospect all of the failings of Ataru and decided to utilize Soresu instead.

Don't get me wrong, Ataru is great if you have ample room to maneuver. It is why Yoda was one of the fiercest lightsaber duelists of the Order, his small size allowed him to capitalize on even the smallest of open spaces, turning a confined space into his biggest advantage against his larger opponents.

I don't think Soresu would be better against Maul, you can see in TCW he still got *** kicked by the half cyborg Maul, without using double blade lightsaber.

I don't think Soresu would be better against Maul, you can see in TCW he still got *** kicked by the half cyborg Maul, without using double blade lightsaber.

I'm not saying that Obi-Wan picked Soresu to be the future answer to Maul's Juyo. I'm saying that Obi-Wan saw that Ataru's flourishes and emphasis on wide open attacks left gaping holes in your defense, therefore he opted for the much more defense oriented Soresu.

Obi-Wan Kenobi originally specialized in Ataru, trained in the form by Qui-Gon Jinn. However, upon witnessing his master's death due to Ataru's lack of defensive capabilities, Kenobi took up dedication to Soresu as a defense against the Sith techniques that brought down Jinn.[9] Kenobi's resulting skill in Form III stood him in good stead against masterful gunslingers such as Jango Fett, or during the chaotic firefight on Geonosis. His tight defense and energy-efficient moves enabled him to pull through and survive.[18] However, when confronting Dooku, Kenobi's skill in Soresu was insufficient to effectively counter Dooku's mastery of Form II lightsaber combat. Dooku's elegant style worked away at Kenobi's defense; many of Kenobi's cutting parries missing Dooku's attacks entirely, while the Sith Lord's feints confused and forced him to retreat. Kenobi was ultimately brought down by light, though damaging cuts across his left arm and leg.[19]

Quoted from the Wookieepedia page for Form III: Soresu.

Actually, being the "Master of Soresu" had very little to do with the win. Obi-Wan goaded him and Anakin fell for it, literally. He did exactly what Obi-Wan expected him to do and Obi-Wan capitalized. It came down to which one was able to keep their head in the game.

I always felt that Obi-Wan was using Dun Möch there...or maybe inverse Dun Möch sense he pretty much begged Anakin not to try anything while he held the higher ground.