Annihilation vs. Carnage

eriknimblehands

Just started playing a marauder and I'm wondering what spec to use. Annihilation seems to be better but it dosen't seem like it has many bleeds. Carnage is nice with Ataru form, but I'm not sold on it. Any opinions? Advice?

That's because you just started the Marauder.

The bleeds from this class will heal you and you will become an unstoppable beast in PVE

Edit:

You will be more likely to notice the bleeds in longer fights, like a Champion 3 levels above you (once you have Quinn).

Edited by Thundergulch

Annihilation is a beast for leveling if you know what you're doing with the spec. Of everything I've leveled (Sorc, Jugg, Sniper and Marauder), it's by far the most powerful if a bit tricky to get used to. The key reasons are the self healing from bleed crits, 0 min range and lowered CD on charge, 6 sec CD on interrupt, and high damage output. You also get the talent that builds fury faster in your tree, which means you pick it up 40 levels earlier than the other 2 specs.

The extra movement speed and better burst from Carnage are nice, but I didn't feel like that outweighed the survivability and reduced downtime on Annihilation.

I've also heard Rage is nice for leveling due to superior AoE against the packs upon packs of normal mobs you'll face. The downside to this is that elites and bosses are a bit harder. I can't say personally though, never tried it out as I just couldn't get myself away from Annihilation once I figured it out.

Well, I played combat spec, and it seemed interesting enough, it just takes a lot of levelling to get some really useful tools. It certainly has more utilities that the Watchman tree, what with a ton of roots and a Transcendence that gives the same speed boost as a grade 1 speeder, but it lacks in survivability.

Watchman is, sadly enough, the superior spec. It is also, almost certainly, the target for the next big nerf, given that in groups it will be nigh unkillable. I'd hate to see the damage an 8-man annhilation could do in a voidstar on offence.

(Watchman = juyo spec, combat = ataru spec. Pretty sure that Annihilation = watchman, carnage = combat)

IMHO: Carnage. Ive played Annihilation and dont get me wrong its a AMAZING talent tree and what everyone says is correct about it. On a personal level, CARNAGE CARNAGE CARNAGE. If your leveling right, you shouldn't have to worry about self heals of the ticks. Take quin and turn all his offensive abilities off then your never gonna break a sweat. In my eyes, carnage is a much faster way to level just because its direct damage opposed to ticks. I love the damage of force scream, the 3000 hit of the final strike of ravage and the amount of procs from Juyo. To me its a much more satisfying game style then stacking bleeds. Honestly, ill switch back to Annihilation once I hit 50, currently 46, and yes I have played both specs with the full tree. Leveling though, its all about carnage. Cant go wrong with straight bashing everything.

IMHO: Carnage. Ive played Annihilation and dont get me wrong its a AMAZING talent tree and what everyone says is correct about it. On a personal level, CARNAGE CARNAGE CARNAGE. If your leveling right, you shouldn't have to worry about self heals of the ticks. Take quin and turn all his offensive abilities off then your never gonna break a sweat. In my eyes, carnage is a much faster way to level just because its direct damage opposed to ticks. I love the damage of force scream, the 3000 hit of the final strike of ravage and the amount of procs from Juyo. To me its a much more satisfying game style then stacking bleeds. Honestly, ill switch back to Annihilation once I hit 50, currently 46, and yes I have played both specs with the full tree. Leveling though, its all about carnage. Cant go wrong with straight bashing everything.

Agreed. I'm 46 also and I just breeze through mobs like nothing. Using Quinn for his heals with your massive burst damage, the mobs just drop. It was a little tough before I got Quinn, but I think that was more directly tied to not having necessary skills/talents than healing. But once you get Gore and can learn how to time your ravages and screams to fall within it before you get massacre at 40, it all becomes a breeze. Massacre just makes it all the easier and all the better too, but again that is at 40. I personally roll carnage for PvP reasons, and find it satisfying while lvl'ing also.

All of the specs work for PvE; so I think it would make more sense to just go with your playstyle, and more importantly, what is fun to YOU.