legitimate question for non-rp players

Mokilok

Happens in every mmo, the rp player vs non rp player debate. I'm just curious, and I ask this earnestly, if you don't rp and don't plan to, why do you roll on rp servers? I don't direct this question at people who roll on them to grief others, those types should be ashamed, but at the average player. I know that for a long time i always rolled on rp servers with no intent to rp simply because others rping around me made my immersion factor and game play more enjoyable. So, what about you?

Looks like someone is upset about my rp-ing a psychotic maniac in the middle of their rp flirt session with a coy but leacherous female SI.

For serious tho, some people like being around rp but don't want to participate (voyeurs). Some have friends who wanted to be on an rp server, so they rolled there. Some people just like being on a realm devoid of "anal [sundering assault]" in their general channel. Maybe it had a light server load. Why do people have to impose their rp beliefs on others?

I do enjoy occasional RP (when I'm not raiding, usually ;)), that's why I roll on RP

also, in my experience there are nicer people on RP servers and they make more effort in chat etc.

so you see "a healer is looking for a group for Esseles" instead of "lfg esseles heal" which is much nicer in my eyes.

also, no names like Arthasdklol

on the other hand there are of course the "RP Nazis" that report everyone and everything that doesn't fit their narrow view of "proper RP", but those are usually a minority and can easily be ignored.

Edited by Edward_Nigma

Looks like someone is upset about my rp-ing a psychotic maniac in the middle of their rp flirt session with a coy but leacherous female SI.

For serious tho, some people like being around rp but don't want to participate (voyeurs). Some have friends who wanted to be on an rp server, so they rolled there. Some people just like being on a realm devoid of "anal [sundering assault]" in their general channel. Maybe it had a light server load. Why do people have to impose their rp beliefs on others?

I'm not trying to impose my beliefs on anyone...did you read my entire post?

Happens in every mmo, the rp player vs non rp player debate. I'm just curious, and I ask this earnestly, if you don't rp and don't plan to, why do you roll on rp servers? I don't direct this question at people who roll on them to grief others, those types should be ashamed, but at the average player. I know that for a long time i always rolled on rp servers with no intent to rp simply because others rping around me made my immersion factor and game play more enjoyable. So, what about you?

I didn't this time, though I have in the past. I played on AB in EQ2 for example. The reason would be the community, they simply tend to be far superior in that regard even if they do have some bad apples.

Answered your question, care to answer mine?

Well I'm not a heavy rper and I am not experienced at it so my answer is going to be a little unqualified. However, based on what I have seen, most rpers who would do something like that are either A. On the same level just opposite side of the players that role rp servers simply to grief, B. Simple elitist who feel rp is the "right" way to play, or C, which is the most likely in my opinion, are just passionate about the world they create for them selves and just want to protect it, and being a minority among gamers they can get over defensive, but they mean well for their community.

Maturity, plain and simple. I rolled on a RPPVP server and the people have been nothing but nice - even general chat is pleasant. In general, I find RPers to be much more mature players. They are people who play the game for fun above all else, and put stuff like getting good gear behind making strong social connections on the server. This is pretty much true for every MMO I've played, and SWTOR has not changed my opinion of that at all. Edited by Vielix

Maturity, plain and simple. I rolled on a RPPVP server and the people have been nothing but nice - even general chat is pleasant. In general, I find RPers to be much more mature players. They are people who play the game for fun above all else, and put stuff like getting good gear behind making strong social connections on the server. This is pretty much true for every MMO I've played, and SWTOR has not at all changed my opinion of that at all.

I agree.

Maturity, plain and simple. I rolled on a RPPVP server and the people have been nothing but nice - even general chat is pleasant. In general, I find RPers to be much more mature players. They are people who play the game for fun above all else, and put stuff like getting good gear behind making strong social connections on the server. This is pretty much true for every MMO I've played, and SWTOR has not changed my opinion of that at all.

I'll also quote this. We wanted PVP but some of the guild also wanted to RP. We decided to roll on the West Coast RP-PVP server. I can tell you that general chat is very friendly. Everyone seems to want to help out others. I've met a few really good people I talk with on a regular basis.

Its for the community and the general maturity of the people on the rp servers

This.

RP servers have almost no psychopathic-WoW-children and that one sole reason is good enough for anyone to move on RP server. I'd play there myself if not the fact that guild I'm in plays on PvE.

How exactly do people RP in his type of system?

I come from SWG where we had bios that people could access from out characters in game. Also it was normal for people to meet up at cantinas and such, bu here it seems there are no gathering points.

Could be because the game is new and people are busy questing, but from an RP perspective how would one obtain and RP train a padawan for instance?

Or go out bounty hunting together?