LOL at people who still keep asking when and where Star Wars takes place.

Seriously, no one ever picks up on that line in the beginning?

"A Long time ago...in a galaxy far, far away....."

Learn to read people! This very line suggests that the events in the Star Wars (if they were non fictional) takes place in the past (maybe as far back as when Earth had dinosaurs on it or even before our solar system was born) in a galaxy that could very well be on the other side of the galaxy or perhaps at least 20 galaxies away.

Let's this settle in...

Seriously, no one ever picks up on that line in the beginning?

"A Long time ago...in a galaxy far, far away....."

Learn to read people! This very line suggests that the events in the Star Wars (if they were non fictional) takes place in the past (maybe as far back as when Earth had dinosaurs on it or even before our solar system was born) in a galaxy that could very well be on the other side of the galaxy or perhaps at least 20 galaxies away.

Let's this settle in...

Think it would be better to say Universe.

Haven't really seen it to be a problem to warrant making a thread.

Think it would be better to say Universe[/b].

Haven't really seen it to be a problem to warrant making a thread.

Saying "A Long time ago...in a universe far, far away....." would require M-theory or Tegmarks classification theory to multiverses to be true, and so far they are just theories. It 's far more accurate to say galaxy since there are billions of galaxies and it's quite possible that in some galaxy, they are hundreds and thousands of years more advanced than us technologically.

I agree though, I didn't think this was a big enough problem to warrant a thread.

Saying "A Long time ago...in a universe far, far away....." would require M-theory or Tegmarks classification theory to multiverses to be true, and so far they are just theories. It 's far more accurate to say galaxy since there are billions of galaxies and it's quite possible that in some galaxy, they are hundreds and thousands of years more advanced than us technologically.

I agree though, I didn't think this was a big enough problem to warrant a thread.

/facepalm, He meant the opposite side of the universe, instead of the opposite side of the galaxy.

No not in the actual phrase, I bolded the word where he used "on the other side of the galaxy", it would have sounded better on the other side of the Universe. As its described as being far far away, being on the other side of OUR galaxy wouldn't be very far.

You know, the most widely accepted theory is that time and space are inherently connected, so if the galaxy is far, far away it's also got to be a long time ago. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. ;) Edited by MorgonKara

Another reason I felt this needed clarification is that I run into so many sci fi illiterati who keep asking what is the difference between Star Wars and Star Trek. Star trek clearly takes place in the future around the 24th or so century after Earth goes through a World War 3, rebuilds itself from the ashes and then with the help of the Vulcans, colonize space and blossom.

The wording of Star Wars's intro clearly explains a past event.

/facepalm, He meant the opposite side of the universe, instead of the opposite side of the galaxy.

There you go, lesson learned: Don't respond to forum posts after your fifth beer. I was all ready to discuss M theory and supergravity and theories on what there was before the Big Bang,too. Drats.

In terms of fiction :(, the Star Wars galaxy and our own co-exist, as evidenced by the three E.T. "phone home" senators briefly seen in the Senate Rotunda scene in Episode I. Members of their species visited Earth in the Spielberg flick, of course. :) Edited by Matth_Stil

yes it's a galaxy on the other side of the galaxy. :rolleyes:

Actually at the ending of The Empire Strikes Back Luke and Leia are looking at what appears to be the Milky Way. (I was going to double check on Wookieepedia but it isn't working on my computer right now)

Actually at the ending of The Empire Strikes Back Luke and Leia are looking at what appears to be the Milky Way. (I was going to double check on Wookieepedia but it isn't working on my computer right now)

It's a spiral galaxy. There are quite a few in the observable universe.

Oddly enough, we have no actual imagery of the Milky Way from outside its notional boundaries.

Gym "I'll leave explaining why as an exercise for the student..." Quirk

It's a spiral galaxy. There are quite a few in the observable universe.

Oddly enough, we have no actual imagery of the Milky Way from outside its notional boundaries.

Gym "I'll leave explaining why as an exercise for the student..." Quirk

I finally got Wookieepedia to work and it said that, wish it was working before I posted, ah well.