What defines an MMORPG for you?

Moondragon

Throughout the internet and forums, you will find many a thread comparing and contrasting this mmorpg with others. Throngs of commentary from "the masses" giving approval and disapproval of SWToR. Now, this is not to say this is specific to SWToR...because it's not. Happens with all mmorpgs or anything baring the "MMO" title. While there is a common thread there with each discussion for every MMO genre, it made me wonder why people hate...or love...mmorpgs specifically.

With that said, without making specific references to this game (in a positive or negative fashion) or any other specific MMORPG's, what defines and MMORPG for you?

(i.e. Large player base in a persistant world, X-Tools, Y-population numbers, Z-interactions, etc. etc.)

Again, I'd like to avoid: "Well I like a dungeon finder tool like WoW has. I like lots of peoples, which this game does not have", etc.

Freedom of choice.

-The freedom to create characters however I like.

-The freedom to keep their appearance however I wish.

-The freedom to play regardless of additional user inputs.

Those are the fundamentals of a MMO for me, being able to make characters that I want, options to customize their appearance without sacrificing everything else, and being able to progress and play whichever content I'm in the mood for whether it's pve/pvp/exploration.

Choice is the biggest thing I've come across as the main difference with standard SP games when it comes to MMOs, and those that favor choices tends to do well enough for me to keep playing. Being able to ask for help for more difficult content is a great bonus when it comes to MMOs, and when you've played with some of these people you can form guilds or get lots of similarly interested people to tackle even more difficult content. But it has to remain a choice that can be made, not a requirement. Content is there for people to decide if they want to tackle it or not, not be forced to do everything in a certain order all the time.

Being able to make these choices is what sets a MMO apart from a offline SP game.

MMO for me is this -

An Open, Persistant and Explorable World in which the Player takes on the role of a Hero, the World must create a sense of "immersion", and the design of the Game must at all costs try to maintain that immersion, the chosen Hero then proceeds to progress through that world while interacting with other players and the enviroment in which he is placed.

The most important things are -

1. The Game World, Open, Persistant, Explorable, fail here and you might as well start from scratch, it's a Game breaker, full stop.

2. Immersion, break it at your peril, allow your Game design to break immersion and gratz you just failed MMO school and made a first person shooter.

3. Progression, the player chosen Hero must feel exactly that "Heroic", he/she must at all times be the center of attention in the Game world and must progress and grow stronger, building to a given purpose, there has to be a goal, something in the Hero's future that becomes an aiming point, even if it cannot be achieved, fail at this one and you risk player boredom.

Some things that are NOT important -

4. Story is not that important, it really can be pritty much any old nonsense it is simply window dressing, as long as it does not blunder around all over the place with obvious mistakes your pritty much ok.

Note to Devs - Story does NOT create the immersion, your Game World creates the immersion, again you just failed MMO school, gratz.

5, Graphics, again not important, simply window dressing, an acceptable level is desirable but the game world, and how well the actual game functions, ie it's actual playability is a million times more important, WoW proved this point years ago and still game devs choose to ignore it.

SWTOR fails hard on 1, 2 and partly 3, due to forcing the use of companions.

I should add - In my opinion, lol

:rolleyes:

MMO for me is this -

An Open, Persistant and Explorable World in which the Player takes on the role of a Hero, the World must create a sense of "immersion", and the design of the Game must at all costs try to maintain that immersion, the chosen Hero then proceeds to progress through that world while interacting with other players and the enviroment in which he is placed.

The most important things are -

1. The Game World, Open, Persistant, Explorable, fail here and you might as well start from scratch, it's a Game breaker, full stop.

2. Immersion, break it at your peril, allow your Game design to break immersion and gratz you just failed MMO school and made a first person shooter.

3. Progression, the player chosen Hero must feel exactly that "Heroic", he/she must at all times be the center of attention in the Game world and must progress and grow stronger, building to a given purpose, there has to be a goal, something in the Hero's future that becomes an aiming point, even if it cannot be achieved, fail at this one and you risk player boredom.

4. Story is not that important, it really can be pritty much any old nonsense it is simply window dressing, as long as it does not blunder around all over the place with obvious mistakes your pritty much ok.

Note to Devs - Story does NOT create the immersion, your Game World creates the immersion, again you just failed MMO school, gratz.

5, Graphics, again not important, simply window dressing, an acceptable level is desirable but the game world, and how well the actual game functions, ie it's actual playability is a million times more important, WoW proved this point years ago and still game devs choose to ignore it.

SWTOR fails hard on 1, 2 and partly 3, due to forcing the use of companions.

I should add - In my opinion, lol

:rolleyes:

thank you for your opinion, i could go on and make several points and offer several examples in counterpoint....

but i refuse to exchange witty remarks with people who have not the first clue about building a video game. you sound like an FPS console player taking the first steps into the PC gaming world. welcome sit down and absorb...shhhhhhh close the mouth open the ears youll learn more.

please enjoy your bliss whilst the remainder of us go play a video game on a computer sitting in the real world with other real people..... not some fantasy romance novel with you as the star. theres role play servers for that.

2. Immersion, break it at your peril, allow your Game design to break immersion and gratz you just failed MMO school and made a first person shooter
. <<<< ill just leave this here for example.

oh heck why not another gem

4. Story is not that important, it really can be pritty much any old nonsense it is simply window dressing...

... Note to Devs - Story does NOT create the immersion, ... you just failed MMO school, gratz....

...Graphics, again not important, simply window dressing, ... WoW proved this point years ago and still game devs choose to ignore it....

sigh.......