Input on TOR content and why its losing subscribers fast.

Killgroth

So earlier today I was reading articles and reviews of TOR and it seems to be very surpiaing that out of the 1.7 million subscribers the game originally had upon release 400k of them have jumped shipped. The most common responses I have gotten is that it lacks the true Star Wars feel, and the content people expect is just not there. I am going to post a brief discussion between myself and another player about the game and would like to get some input on what you all think about this. It's a little on the longer side but I believe it has some very valid points...

Sadly enough you're losing your players because you have failed to deliver on this MMORPG successfully. Free trials and item give aways will not keep the fan base. You gave a very linear story with the Star Wars franchise tag which is fine, but some serious revamping of the game needs to be done or this game will fall undoubtedly to a free to play and then closure in due time. You have already lost 400k fans and counting because you failed to deliver the ground breaking MMO that was promised. This game deeply saddens many fans of the franchise and many MMORPG players because this game needs improvement in not allthe but a majority of its areas. Sadly enough when my game cards I have bought when I first bought the game expire, I will leave the universe alongside many others unless there are going to be promises of changes.

5 hours ago ·

Like · Comment

Mike Crook likes this.

Write a comment... Comment

John Kolb 1. EA nor Bioware read complaints on this page. You are using the wrong forum

2. The remaining 1.3 million subscribers and the many that will follow upon release to 38 more countries will not miss you nor your unfounded complaints. I think the majority are happy with the game as is and recognize it's long term potential.

3. Any game his ambitious will need some tweaks along the way as did WoW and every other MMO to hit the market. I have yet to see an MMO release as a finished product. 4 hours ago · Like

John Kolb this ambitious* 4 hours ago · Like

Johnny Gonzalez It's better than WoW 4 hours ago · Like · 3

Dennis Hall lol they arnt happy, they are just waiting for D3 and GW2 4 hours ago · Like

Leigh Groves This game has delivered more in it's first five months than others have in years. The unfortunate thing is the "me, me, me, I want/expect it now, now, now" mentality of so many players. Yes there are bugs. Yes there are some minor issues (These vary, depending on who you ask). If people don't have the understanding that these things can't be done with a push of a button & don't want to watch the game continue to grow: Those of us that are still playing, don't need you. Bye-bye. 4 hours ago · Like · 1

Adam Kempf @Leigh I think we should both give up, people are entirely too stupid to listen to logic... 4 hours ago · Like · 2

Phill Hardy 1. You're absolutely correct.

2. I'm not worried about anyone missing me smart guy. And I'm fully aware of their release plans, but thanks though on trying to shed light on nothing beneficial. The main reason I put this up here is to not attract you but just a small bit of attention to the increased problem they are facing now with declined sales an and ever slimming fan base. Which in turn is hurting their marketing value and possibly future money which could be spent making this game into a ground breaking MMORPG. The game had plenty of potential and is very fun, but after a certain point it loses its replay value which again in turn cuts back on marketing and gaining new players. To have 1.7 million subscribers to this game and lose 400k in the few months after release is a big statement by the people. If you haven't realized by now many games that start out like this tend to have a very short life. Not to mention when articles are written about this game and focusing heavily on the majority of negative aspects it tends to have negative impact on the future of the game. I fully understand that there will be a waiting period between major updates and content changes since it is a new MMORPG but what I am saying is if they do not proceed down the right path or do too little for players who expect and want more there will be the inevitable fate of the game possibly shutting down.

3. There will never be a prefect game from release or a finished product, which is understandable. I am simply saying this is not the first Star Wars MMORPG and they can learn alot about what can make it a successful franchise if they take the good aspects from the past ones and implement it into this one. 4 hours ago · Like

John Kolb Let me clarify... "They have a great game from release and have only improved it with more new content and fizes than any other MMO that has been released" (More content and fixes in the 5 months that the game has been out in comparison to the amount of content released for other MMO's in the same amount of time from release) 4 hours ago · Like

Phill Hardy You're right and I'm not saying it hasn't. But to be fair they also have a very linear game and story line, which makes it a little more easy to do so then the open world MMOs. So really in essence it wouldn't be as fair to compare the content released lately to other games. 3 hours ago · Like

John Kolb I've heard this multiple times and I don't get it. I wish someone would explain "linear storyline" to me. There are 8 different stories, one for each class in which you can make decisions which can affect the outcome to some extent. Is there an MMO that's doing this way better and no one told me? And doing it better while having a fun and competitive PvP? IDK, I've played Warhammer and WoW before this. WoW made me want to take a bath with a toaster it was so boring and Warhammer I actually thought was pretty good and SWTOR could really use some ideas from the open world PvP to improve the game but in the end.... I haven't seen anything "linear" about SWTOR. 3 hours ago · Like

Phill Hardy Linear is pretty much saying its not as open of world. There's only one set way to go, and yes you can make choices but in the end those choices dont effect your game or anyone else's really. Think double dragons on Nintendo, that was a side scrolling linear game. One set way to go but without options. If they were true to the franchise they could keep the quest all class specific and what they have now but more free roam and more expansive. There are boundaries in the game that make it "one set path" compared to the others that are out there. 2 hours ago · Like

John Kolb I don't have enough MMO experience to properly compare to others but as far as the mission/quest grind. I was very happy with how entertaining it was in comparison to WoW and Warhammer. But agian... those are the only 2 other MMO's I've invested ANY time into. 2 hours ago · Like

Phill Hardy The grind in the game was very unique and refreshing, but I along with other people think there needs to be more of a open world/sandbox aspect of the game to really explore the world and stay true to the Star Wars franchise. If they were to do that then they could actually provide more for players to look forward to for example, player housing and guild community's, actual space combat and customization of ships not just the one set ship per class, more unique mounts and class specific perks or travel modes. They could've bring back the pet trainer class to the game so you can tame and create your own mounts in the game for more diversity. PvP zones or even PvP worlds with quests to influence how the economy and world security operates. Cybernetics for a real Star Wars feel.

Like I was trying to state in the beginning this feels more of a basic MMO with just a Star Wars tag then what you would expect from an actual game set in the Star Wars universe/galaxy, which from that is why most people and myself are a little torn and don't see the reason to stick around if there are the other MMOs doing it better regardless of how long they've been out. I've played WoW, EQ, EQ2, Age Of Conan just to name a few and it feels like all of them not actual Star Wars. I've also played Star Wars Galaxies before the major updates and that by far felt like you were living seeing exploring and playing in the real Star Wars. If they took the good from that and put it into this game, I believe they would have their very own undeniable ground breaking award winning MMORPG that so many are/were looking for and the fan and franchise retention would be 100 fold better then what it is succumbing to as of right now

Apparently John Kolb isn't aware that SWTOR was made by mostly the same team as Warhammer Online (not the BioWare team that made previous beloved RPGs), which explains why he likes it.

Now lets see how wel Warhammer Online is doing and... oh that's right.

Edited by Gungan