Vigilance Spec viable?

EQrunnr

Hello folks.

As stated above, I would like to ask if Vigilance tree is viable for both PvP in premade and PvE guild runs. It seems like very good sustained DPS, although I worry about the PvP part where some bursty DPS is neccessary and if I could do as good as any other DPS class.

I have played around a bit with torhead and I made this spec. I would like to hear your opinions and tell me if it is viable for what I said before.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#500MZfRMoruddGR.1

As you have registered, the spec is not finished. The reason for that is I really don't know where to put the last 6 points. My first thought was to put it into Focus tree into Insight + Master Focus + Second Wind. I'm not sure how high 8% increase for Master's Strike is but it sounds intriguing.

Next idea was Defense tree, 3 points in Dust Storm and 2 in Solidified Force for spammable freeze and last point into Accuracy or Insight. I'm trying to figure what would be best for both PvP and PvE purposes as I plan doing both with coordinated guildies.

Short answer is yes. Yes it is very very viable. This is the spec that I am running.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#500MMZforRruddhRZMM.1

There are a number of different very viable specs that you can do for the Vigilance skill tree. I chose this one because it maximizes damage output in a lot of ways. I took points out of improved sundering because that really doesn't make as big of a difference as Gather Strength does. The extra stack of sundering doesn't make as big of a difference as the boost to your melee damage when slowed.

The 8% damage buff to master strike is also huge. If you take Zen strike at the top of the Vigilance tree you'll want to spam Master Strike whenever it's off cool down. That way whenever you use Plasma Brand or Overhead Slash you'll have a chance to reset it, get 2 focus and then use it again. So if you're spamming this ability then you want it hitting has hard as possible always. It's kind of a no brainer ability for the Vigilance tree.

I spec'ed out of Insight because the difference in critical hit chance on your force attacks doesn't make as big a difference as the other abilities that you can get for the points. Blade Storm and Victory Rush are actually kind of essentials for any Guardian. In the Vigilance skill tree Blade Storm will be a critical hit pretty much every time you use it and it will be free after every force leap. Free Critical hit Force attacks are never a bad thing. Also, you'll be spamming Sundering Strike on cool down. So the extra focus Generation is key.

But yeah, Master Strike damage is huge in PvP. I love mentioning this because I just hit someone for 6k damage on the last hit of Master Strike alone. It was amazing!

Short answer is yes. Yes it is very very viable. This is the spec that I am running.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#500MMZforRruddhRZMM.1

There are a number of different very viable specs that you can do for the Vigilance skill tree. I chose this one because it maximizes damage output in a lot of ways. I took points out of improved sundering because that really doesn't make as big of a difference as Gather Strength does. The extra stack of sundering doesn't make as big of a difference as the boost to your melee damage when slowed.

The 8% damage buff to master strike is also huge. If you take Zen strike at the top of the Vigilance tree you'll want to spam Master Strike whenever it's off cool down. That way whenever you use Plasma Brand or Overhead Slash you'll have a chance to reset it, get 2 focus and then use it again. So if you're spamming this ability then you want it hitting has hard as possible always. It's kind of a no brainer ability for the Vigilance tree.

I spec'ed out of Insight because the difference in critical hit chance on your force attacks doesn't make as big a difference as the other abilities that you can get for the points. Blade Storm and Victory Rush are actually kind of essentials for any Guardian. In the Vigilance skill tree Blade Storm will be a critical hit pretty much every time you use it and it will be free after every force leap. Free Critical hit Force attacks are never a bad thing. Also, you'll be spamming Sundering Strike on cool down. So the extra focus Generation is key.

But yeah, Master Strike damage is huge in PvP. I love mentioning this because I just hit someone for 6k damage on the last hit of Master Strike alone. It was amazing!

Yes, vigilance is very good at both PVP and PVE. I do very well in any PVE content I've played with my guardian, and do even better in PVP.

Focus on building your spec around your goal as a DPS, squeezing out as much damage as possible. With that in mind, I use this spec:http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#500MMZsMrRrhddGkZMM.1 The nice thing about vigilance, is that while focusing on damage, we also get some very good utility talents. Vigilance also allows for very good uptime on targets.

If you need a bit of burst, do this: Saber throw, leap, (pop relic/adrenal) plasma brand, blade storm, overhead slash (might require combat focus if you do this from 0 focus.) The 3 attacks after leap all will count with the 10% damage after leap for 5 seconds and the target now has 3 dots on him/her, if specced into dots. If you REALLY need to make sure your target dies, you can then do freezing force (to ensure they don't get away), force push, force leap, master strike.

man i dont intednt to sound mean but there are pages of pages of pages of this discussion already and i guarantee it includes your build and ur spec however you want to name it or flip it... with a plethora of theory crafting nerdgasms that break down everything.. ( no i wont link it just scroll donw)

and the short answer yes.. but im sure you will find info on it if you take the time to look for it.