Master Nala's Guide for the Bored/Frustrated SWTOR player

Master-Nala

Too long; Didn’t read version

1) It’s OK to play MMORPGs a lot (hardcore), folks telling you to ‘get a life’ are wrong;

2) Sign up for a Freemium game to play on the side;

3) The real joy of playing alts is that you don’t have to grind...SO DON’T!

4) You don’t have to stay subbed continuously. It’s OK to unsub then return when the game is up to your standards.

DON’T ‘GET A LIFE’, YOU HAVE A LIFE AND MMORPGs ARE AN IMPORTANT PART

First, I want to start by giving you a break. A lot of time when someone posts here that they are bored or frustrated many folks will suggest that they do something besides play MMORPGs. It’s usually something along the lines of, “Go outside, read a book, etc.” Well, I’m not going to do that. It’s entirely OK to consider video games your primary source of entertainment.

For example, I don’t really watch television. A couple of shows, but I may watch 1 hour of TV a week. I play MMOs probably 20+ hours a week. I do go outside. I do have a life (Wife, two boys, house, dog, car, profession). I enjoy movies and books and sex and food and all the other things that others talk about. That is entirely besides the point. You have a right to make MMORPGs an important part of your life. Everyone needs a hobby is how the saying goes, and there’s nothing wrong with making MMORPGs one of them.

That said, you have to have some balance and perspective. Ultimately, this is just a hobby and a form of entertainment. And it has to be seen in that light. It’s OK to be a rabid fan, it’s really not OK to let MMORPGs take over your life. If you find that the forums, or the game are making you really feel sad or angry or depressed, then it’s time to log off. And if the feelings are still there, talk to someone about it.

CHEAT ON SWTOR!

As any MMO enthusiast knows, a number of AAA games have went F2P or more accurately ‘Freemium’ in the last couple of years. This is absolutely wonderful for the bored gamer. There are tons of choices out there for games to play and enjoy in a number of settings and catering to a number of playstyles. I have never been one to sub to only one game. For the vast majority of my MMORPG playing career, I have played City of Heroes and Everquest II. I also have accounts (with serious characters) in WoW, DCUO, and FreeRealms. I also have played a number of other games lightly like LOTRO, DDO, Conan, Everquest, EQOA, and others.

I must tell you that there is nothing that breaks boredom than going to another game for a week or two. I still have an active subscription to City of Heroes and I took a long break when SWTOR came out. After I got my main to level 50, I went back to CoH for a couple of weeks and worked on a new character and did some of the content that launched after I took my break. When I came back to SWTOR to start on my Marauder, I was refreshed and SWTOR felt new and I had a blast. Playing the Empire faction for the first time (my first character was a Sage), was a wonder and it didn’t feel grindy at all.

My point here is that with all the Freemium games, you don’t have to spend much, if any, money to go out there and get some new experiences. This will give SWTOR the time to grow into the game you probably are looking for, but don’t feel it is now. And you don’t have to spend money on SWTOR in the meantime (more on that later.)

ALTING FOR SMARTIES!!

Playing an alt can be a real joy in a MMORPG. Seeing new mechanics, stories, and perspectives in the same game can give the whole experience a richer feel. Or alting can be a painful grind. Which one it is, is wholly up to you.

I’ve found that the first thing that a player needs to do when starting an alt is, “Take your time.” There’s nothing but a short gear grind waiting for you at 50, so what’s the rush? Don’t want to do the same side-quests for the second (or third or fourth) time? Don’t then. Believe it or not, even in the same faction, you can craft a completely different experience than your main. For example, I didn’t do space missions or PvP on my Sage at all. Nor on my Marauder because he was doing completely different side-quests. Then my Assassin, I gained a large amount of exp, doing both. And I also made an effort to do all the heroics on each planet. Now to be fair, I’m on Harbinger where grouping is a lot more available. My fourth alt, my Scoundrel healer has done a fair number of flashpoints for exp, along with Republic heroics. He’s 42 now, and I’m in no rush to get him to 50. I have a lowbie Powertech I’m enjoying quite a bit.

The key to alting is: 1) Don’t get caught up in the grind to 50 (there nothing there anyway); 2) Craft a different experience at all costs (even if that takes longer than grinding sidequests you’ve done before); 3) If the alt is not fun, stop, reroll something that is.

YOU CAN COME BACK YOU KNOW?

Lastly, the way many folks talk, it seems like if you leave SWTOR you are forevermore precluded from returning. That’s just plain nonsense (that’s the harshest I will be in this guide). There’s nothing wrong with taking a break. In fact, I encourage it for anyone who isn’t having fun.

I was reading a post by a player who had 5 level 50 characters. He was saying he wasn’t having fun. I was a bit amazed because it seems he just had a LOT of fun, playing those 5 alts. I think that poster really does like SWTOR, but he was tired and looking for something else. I think someone in that state would do well with a few months off. Maybe even a year. Let the devs add all the things that people, quite reasonably, feel should be added to the game like a LFG tool, server transfers and the like. Then try again.

CONCLUSION

Well, I hope someone takes what I’m saying to heart. I know that the majority of people who have read this far will have something snarky to say. I understand, it’s the internet. But I hope someone will try the things I’ve written and I hope it helps them enjoy the game.

Thanks for reading!