New Template *Hybrid*

Caesar

Hello,

I am trying out a new template. I have played a trooper since launch and have played both dps specs Assault and Gunnery. I like aspects of them both and do well with each of them but, since 1.2 I am rethinking a few hybrid specs. here is one that so far i'm having decent success with and wouldn't mind some feedback.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#8000MZMIk0oZbIMrzGhMc.1

It is basically full Assault minus Assault Plastique and replacing Plastique with grav round for additional dps. my rotation goes like this.

Sticky Nade>>Incendiary Ground>HiB>Full Auto>HiB>>Grav Round>hammer shots rinse and repeat. The only issue i'm having of course is ammo management because its real easy to blow that ammo real fast. I have noticed an increase in damage per warzone and it also is a good PvE hybrid. I usually crit on a Assault Plastigue charge between 3.5k-4k & Sticky hits for 1.5k-2k in an area of target, and my reasoning is i'm only losing the 2k in damage but, picking up more damage in grav rounds especially with the 4% debuffs. I am in full augmented battlmaster eliminator gear with Artifact Power Augments and am 400 biochem using Rakata Stims/Adrenals. What are your thoughts?

I've never tried a build like this so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

There are 3 reasons why I wouldnt pick up grav round as Assault spec:

1) It doesn't proc HiB so even though its output is greater than charged bolts, I'd rather spend the cast on bolts for the potential HiB.

2) It hurts your mobility to add a cast ability to your rotation. I cast charged bolts only if everything else is on cd and I really want to burn a target down. Otherwise I'm completely mobile.

3) I don't really see a need for another DPS ability and would far prefer to spend those points in the healing tree for some utility if I was going to cut points from Assault.

That said, if you enjoy it by all means play it!

i'm enjoying the same build.

here my thoughts...

1) grav round is very nice because hits hard, debuff the armor, has 10% accuracy and more crit rate because with plasma cell you have 6% more crit rate than armor piercing cell.

2) sticky granade has a AoE damage that is very usefull.

When i was gunnery with 1.2 patch i had terrible 1vs1 against Marauders/Juggernaut and i was very effective against sorcerers/sages and operatives/smugglers.

with more and more marauders populating the WZs gunnery has become terrible and frustrating.

I raccomand you to stay mobile and hit with your AS tree the melee classes even if you are doing less damage and it take more time to kill them.

Against Smugglers/Agents Grav Round with high accuracy is the only chance to defeat them.

The whole problem is about the Ionic Acc. that doesn't trigger with Grav Round.

Now i'm wondering to change my set from Combat Tech to Eliminator to put more accuracy (i'll loose surge rating and the grav round are going to be less effective) and take the 4 pieces 15% crit chance on HiB.

When i'll get the full Eliminator set honestly i think i would leave the use of Grav Round and i'll be an AS only.

P.S. a tip for you is to lower by 2 skill points Rain of Fire and get 2 skill points on Reflexive Shield.

I took a closer look at your build.

I would say this is better:

link

Faster vortex building and charged barrier for a bit more DR.

I still believe that straight assault is better and that hybrid CM/Assault is more effective than this build.

without burnout is difficult to kill a marauder.

the nicest thing is to run away and leave him die slowly.

yeah lol i don't know how many times i've been killed by a marauder only to watch him run off and die from my DoTs lol. I agree with everyone here straight Assault is best imo but, my reasoning was Assault Plastique although great on the run is not considered a significant enough improvement over sticky grenade to justify the points spent and would rather have them in grav round for the debuff and instant damage when needed instead of a 30 second cooldown ability. It is also good for not having to respec gunnery for pve lol. i'm still playing around with it, i might go back to full assault.

Awesome thread guys I do love when people try to make the best out of things. It's kind of sad and funny to see all these hybrid specs, but what can we do? we got to make the best out of scrap bioware left us with. not to be disrespectful but I went combat medic and left the damage dealing to more suited classes.

well i've been consistantly doing 300k+ 400k+ damage and witnessed an assault commando do 527k damage the other day. I even saw either a powertech pyro or mercenary pyro do 700k dmg in a voidstar yesterday. I'm consistantly placing in top 3 every game in damage. Maybe its cause we have decent players on my server or just stroke of luck but so far so good. I do have decent gear though full battlemaster and custom augmented gear with power augments so i wonder if thats the case. my top buffed damage (class buffs) without adrenal/relics is 1057 with relic/adrenals its over 1250 i think 33% crit 71% surge.

this thread and a couple other things inspired me to use this build for a couple days this week.

played about 20 WZs, and i was fairly consistently in the top 3 dps (except when i spent the whole match defending), but i probably topped dps only once. this is roughly consistent with my full assault spec, but i didn't seem to be doing as much dmg going full assault.

that said, i usually got the most kills, and killing enemies seemed a bit easier than full assault. i was really worried about the burst potential, but IR > HIB > FA > HIB was able to give me quite a bit of burst. i'm not sure if the boost from charged barrel or deadly cannon / rotary cannon really made all the difference, but it was quite effective. and quite a fiew times i would start bursting someone down and they would die during full auto, ionic accelerator would proc, and it would be ready for the next target.

unlike the OP, i forgot about sticky grenade (d'oh! i've been using assault plastique so much since 1.2), but i'm sure it would have helped a bit.

i also really liked having the extra knockback potential for concussion charge and stockstrike and the shorter CD. i didn't seem to notice any more survivability (if anything, it seemed to me that i died more often). i'll still keep charged barrier though, especially since charged bolts and grav round boost it.

my rotation wasn't very consistent, but i would generally try to get a few GR and HS on the target early along with HIB > IR > FA > (HIB)

then i would switch between GR > HS and CB > HS for an ionic accelerator proc while FA was on CD

i could probably put points into degauss instead of sweltering heat or parallactic combat stims, but overall, i like the build.

i do miss burnout, assault trooper, and rain of fire though, so i will try out the other builds in this thread once my skill respec cost resets (it's been bugging lately and not resetting) and see how it goes with more assault.

overall, i'm really loving it though. i don't do as much dps, but i have added versatility and utility, and i can manage to still kill things, perhaps better than i was before.