New 50 planning head: power/surge or crit/surge

enthrop

I'm a new 50 (hit 50 4 days ago) and I've been cranking out the dailies and such. Trying to plan ahead a little so whatever I buy can be used almost forever. Mostly about pieces like Rakata Implants & Columi/Rakata weapons. I've noticed that a lot of the non-accuracy pieces have power/surge or crit/surge, and haven't been able to pick which one to get. I know the general recommendation of taking crit to 32-35%, but I'm trying to plan ahead a little.

For example, if I pick crit/surge Rakata Implant now because I'm only at 20% crit, but once I get my Columi/Rakata pieces and have Crit at 37%, then maybe I should have picked the power/surge piece.

So I'm just wondering if most geared mercs are using the crit/surge or the power/surge pieces when end game geared.

Ok I have a really nicely geared merc on Nightmare Lands and from my experience Power is the way to go. You want to aim for around 1800-1900 Aim because after this point the crit aspect diminishes almost completely, and after that point Power is more damage-per-point than more Aim.

Ideal build:

Stack surge rating until your multiplier is 75%

Stack crit rating until your tech crit hits 35%

All the rest in power.

At the moment i am running with 643 power, while still mainting 75% surge and 35% tech crit (40% with agent buff), this means that your tracer/powershots have a 55% crit chance which is fine. The reason power is so nice is because it doesn't rely on crits to do nice sustained damage, and it buffs your crit damage too so everyone is happy!

Ok I have a really nicely geared merc on Nightmare Lands and from my experience Power is the way to go. You want to aim for around 1800-1900 Aim because after this point the crit aspect diminishes almost completely, and after that point Power is more damage-per-point than more Aim.

Ideal build:

Stack surge rating until your multiplier is 75%

Stack crit rating until your tech crit hits 35%

All the rest in power.

At the moment i am running with 643 power, while still mainting 75% surge and 35% tech crit (40% with agent buff), this means that your tracer/powershots have a 55% crit chance which is fine. The reason power is so nice is because it doesn't rely on crits to do nice sustained damage, and it buffs your crit damage too so everyone is happy!

I'd love to see you list a more complete spec for all of your stats. I'd also love to know if you are switching out certain armor slots for power AND if you're going for power based augments over aim based.

I ask because I am pushing 2100 AIM with all group buffs and a Rakata reflex stim and I wonder if I'm capping out. My power is running around 525.

Thanks

Edited by ShadowAxx

I have 5 power augments, both pistols, chest, helm and legs. I am at 2082 aim with an exotech reflex stim, which is in itself overkill but the aim is unavoidable.

I maintain the two piece set bonus of the Rakata eliminator set using the gloves and the boots.

Aim augments are 100% pointless for a PvE build, in PvP sure, but after you hit 1800 the crit aspect of your main stat diminishes and power adds more bonus damage, so after 1800 aim go for pure power.

My ranged bonus damage fully buffed is 580 ish, and my tech is around 860-870.

I have also swapped out 2-3 enhancements on my armor for power/surge using 56-58 mods from predominately agent columi/rakata gear.

Edited by HeVans_

I have 5 power augments, both pistols, chest, helm and legs. I am at 2082 aim with an exotech reflex stim, which is in itself overkill but the aim is unavoidable.

I maintain the two piece set bonus of the Rakata eliminator set using the gloves and the boots.

Aim augments are 100% pointless for a PvE build, in PvP sure, but after you hit 1800 the crit aspect of your main stat diminishes and power adds more bonus damage, so after 1800 aim go for pure power.

My ranged bonus damage fully buffed is 580 ish, and my tech is around 860-870.

I have also swapped out 2-3 enhancements on my armor for power/surge using 56-58 mods from predominately agent columi/rakata gear.

Very interesting.

I had thought AIM always continued to bonus Crit, and various damage stats, and that as a Primary stat you could always benefit from more.

I also like your idea on just keep (2) of the Rakata pieces for the crit set bonus, skipping the heat reduction set bonus in favor of using the other three pieces for augment perks.

I will say finding reasonably priced Overkill (power) augments is just as hard as Reflex augments. :)

Thanks again.

Very interesting.

I had thought AIM always continued to bonus Crit, and various damage stats, and that as a Primary stat you could always benefit from more.

I also like your idea on just keep (2) of the Rakata pieces for the crit set bonus, skipping the heat reduction set bonus in favor of using the other three pieces for augment perks.

I will say finding reasonably priced Overkill (power) augments is just as hard as Reflex augments. :)

Thanks again.

Get a nice friendly 400 armstech guildie/friend to make you some, the augmentors are quite easy to farm if you have slicing + max affection companions, that's what I did. If the crafter is lucky you even get 2 augments for the price of one!

Get a nice friendly 400 armstech guildie/friend to make you some, the augmentors are quite easy to farm if you have slicing + max affection companions, that's what I did. If the crafter is lucky you even get 2 augments for the price of one!

You can still get THE augments with slicing?

I assume the tech parts missions get the resources and maybe the mats.

Edited by ShadowAxx