Context: raid bosses with enrage timers. Is mercenary dps still viable?

Some people just have very different notion of what "viable for progression raids" means.

For others, it means is the fight doable?

For others, it means is the class competitive within acceptable range with others?

The fights are doable, it is only HM.

Atleast 2/3 of the class, bodyguard and pyro, are not competitive within acceptable range with others. I'll check arsenal today on Kephess and see how it fares ...

Some people just have very different notion of what "viable for progression raids" means.

For others, it means is the fight doable?

For others, it means is the class competitive within acceptable range with others?

The fights are doable, it is only HM.

Atleast 2/3 of the class, bodyguard and pyro, are not competitive within acceptable range with others. I'll check arsenal today on Kephess and see how it fares ...

if you do not hit enrage timers you are doing fine, the acceptable range is defined by not hitting enrage timers, any other "accpetable" that is higher than that is just elitism.

elitism.

Oh please, that's your comeback I guess... "Elitism".

It's a different playstyle, JUST AS I SAID, some people think "killing" is enough, some people wish to "excel", some people wish to PvP, some PvE, etc.

You can't just say that since YOU think it is okay for some classes to do 20+% less dmg than others as long as the raid kills bosses that SOME PEOPLE do not have the right to call it unbalanced and unviable in hardcore progression raid settings.

Repeat, hardcore, progression, raid settings.

Here an example: on a end of game progress content boss try, a part of the fight fails by 1-2% of mob health. It results in a wipe. 8 people lost again time by failing. If class A is noticeably weaker as a DPS class even if played well and specced and geared well than class B, _for some hardcore progression raiding people that means it is UNVIABLE_, as they _lose real life time by wasting time on wipes caused by class balance issues_.

Yeah we missed a walker kill on 3rd stun by 1-2% tonite...

Edited by Ewert

Give up, Ewert. You can't argue with this particular brand of forum illogic, also known as "the problem isn't affecting me, therefore it doesn't exist".

For the record, I understand your position fully and completely agree.

Oh please, that's your comeback I guess... "Elitism".

It's a different playstyle, JUST AS I SAID, some people think "killing" is enough, some people wish to "excel", some people wish to PvP, some PvE, etc.

You can't just say that since YOU think it is okay for some classes to do 20+% less dmg than others as long as the raid kills bosses that SOME PEOPLE do not have the right to call it unbalanced and unviable in hardcore progression raid settings.

Repeat, hardcore, progression, raid settings.

Here an example: on a end of game progress content boss try, a part of the fight fails by 1-2% of mob health. It results in a wipe. 8 people lost again time by failing. If class A is noticeably weaker as a DPS class even if played well and specced and geared well than class B, _for some hardcore progression raiding people that means it is UNVIABLE_, as they _lose real life time by wasting time on wipes caused by class balance issues_.

Yeah we missed a walker kill on 3rd stun by 1-2% tonite...

how to you plan on "excelling" more than killing the boss in the hardest mode?

having fun playing the class you like and killing the boss in the hardest mode > everyone being a cookie cutter trying for e-peen and being on top of the dps charts

yes, it is elitism... i am good with it, elitist carebears are the new "in thing" ... and yes raiding is a carebear activity :)

how to you plan on "excelling" more than killing the boss in the hardest mode?

having fun playing the class you like and killing the boss in the hardest mode > everyone being a cookie cutter trying for e-peen and being on top of the dps charts

yes, it is elitism... i am good with it, elitist carebears are the new "in thing" ... and yes raiding is a carebear activity :)

Assuming, you know what it does.

For some people, since you still do not understand, "excelling" as in doing well with their characters is the fun part. However, that excelling is things like pushing the boundaries to the max, for example getting good dps with a class that is perceived to be weaker. Getting poor dps with a class that is perceived to be totally gimped isn't rewarding enough, it tells there is TOO big an imbalance in the game.

For excelling in healing, for example I did solo healing 8man hardmode ops pre 1.2. That was insanely intense at times, like Jarg n Sorno. Exhilirating.

Excelling in tanking, like in Rift where I rogue tanked Hammerknell some and rogues were considered gimped tanks on Hammerknell, rotating CDs precisely to stay alive was excelling, and good fun.

Excelling in pvp, pulling 600k+ heals 100k+ dmg in warzones while in Champion gear versus premades of battlemasters (while in own champion/bm mix premade), that's excelling.

I've played MUDs, with pvp characters in games where you could literally be attacked at pretty much any place, any time, I'm no "carebear", I take part in every aspect of games usually.

So, assume much more about me please.

How about, as a favor to everyone of us, you open your eyes a bit and understand people differ, and if a game is so unbalanced a big portion of the people think it is unfun, and some specs are marked as unviable by such a large margin of dps / healing / tanking ability lacking in them, that the game IS actually unbalanced enough to constitute a very fair reason for "whining" ...

Over n out, by unviable bodyguard, unviable pyro, semiviable arsenal.

I'm no "carebear", I take part in every aspect of games usually.

So, assume much more about me please.

How about, as a favor to everyone of us, you open your eyes a bit and understand people differ, and if a game is so unbalanced a big portion of the people think it is unfun, and some specs are marked as unviable by such a large margin of dps / healing / tanking ability lacking in them, that the game IS actually unbalanced enough to constitute a very fair reason for "whining" ...

Over n out, by unviable bodyguard, unviable pyro, semiviable arsenal.

everyone is a carebear in this game, pvp is pathetic and weak at best, so even if you pvp this is a carebear centric game, with storylines and voice overs ruling the day. Touchy much?

so you understand people differ, good, then you should understand that excelling in a class is just that, you cant compair rauder to arsenal just like you cannot compair hunter to a deathknight in wow.

you excell with what you have.

but if you want to roll the FOTM every time they go through nerfs/buffs to be sure that YOUR class is the BEST class and everyone else is GIMP and LOSE... naaa, that isn't elitist at all.

in the end BH arsenal is VIABLE in raid, the title of this thread after all is "Context: raid bosses with enrage timers. Is mercenary dps still viable?"

I am one of the more open minded people on these boards, or so I am told by other posters, but at the same time if someone says something that is false (such as BH arsenal are gimped and unviable) i will stick to my guns until the end of time, because I am also one of the more stubborn people on the boards.

fyi doing it with the non-best in game class is more of an achievement tbh.

I dont play to watch for the biggest number, I play for fun, but I am not an elitist.

peace out.

everyone is a carebear in this game, pvp is pathetic and weak at best, so even if you pvp this is a carebear centric game, with storylines and voice overs ruling the day. Touchy much?

Wow, you are so full of fail by assuming *laugh*. First off your notion of carebear vs. non-carebear is false in itself, can't help if the GAME is pve centric, I'm not. Fail much? And no, I'm just plain bored of your inability to grasp obvious matters.

so you understand people differ, good, then you should understand that excelling in a class is just that, you cant compair rauder to arsenal just like you cannot compair hunter to a deathknight in wow.

Please read again, since you obviously didn't understand anything at all, and are just touting your own horn. I already said excelling _with a perceived-as-underpowered_ class is great. Failed again. As well as you failed in understanding the difference between competitive vs. too big difference, so, fail.

you excell with what you have.

Ooo, finally you get the point (though you think you are making some kind of point). As long as excelling with ones class is competitive, it's fun. If it's just plain gimpy so that a faceroller of another class makes you be a drag to raid performance, it's not.

but if you want to roll the FOTM every time they go through nerfs/buffs to be sure that YOUR class is the BEST class and everyone else is GIMP and LOSE... naaa, that isn't elitist at all.

Fail, fail, fail. Assume more please. I have never "rerolled" in MMORPGs, EVER. So, yes, you failed. Again.

in the end BH arsenal is VIABLE in raid, the title of this thread after all is "Context: raid bosses with enrage timers. Is mercenary dps still viable?"

Now where did I say arsenal is unviable? Oh, you mean you again just assumed and made a failure of yourself? Congrats. Arsenal is semiviable, so far, of course they bugged out the TM/HSM buffs, and if a fight doesn't have AoE and lots of movement, some classes are a bit unbalanced, like marauders, comparably. Yes, you cherrypicked your "retort" against me, so, fail.

I am one of the more open minded people on these boards, or so I am told by other posters, but at the same time if someone says something that is false (such as BH arsenal are gimped and unviable) i will stick to my guns until the end of time, because I am also one of the more stubborn people on the boards.

Wow, if you are open minded then the future of mankind is doomed. Anyways, you still failed by choosing to harp on the arsenal part, which I said in previous post, seems to be semiviable. You can read atleast the last lines of my previous post with full concentration again, yes?

fyi doing it with the non-best in game class is more of an achievement tbh.

And again you fail by assuming. I usually roll a class conceived to be weaker / harder in MMORPGs, and as I said, I don't reroll (I don't have time for that). Sure I have obliterated some games back in my late teens / early 20s during the 90s by picking purposefully an awesome combo of race/class in some MUDs. As a healer I've done raiding in MUDs where I had like a lvl 50 character whereas the other guys were lvl 70+, doing endgame areas ("best" raids I was almost only 1/10th of the total xp of the rest of the guys in the raid). I have probably played the underdogs longer than you have played video games total ...

I dont play to watch for the biggest number, I play for fun, but I am not an elitist.

peace out.

And yet you say you are open minded, but fail to grasp what people are saying. It is not fun to play if one can't pick one of the 3 main specs of a class you wish and be viable in either progressive HC raiding content or PvP.

Currently, BH seems to be mostly shoehorned into arsenal, period, to perform at atleast somewhat comparable level.

Anyways, Tera launched early access, I'm there now playing a warrior, which happens to be the class the game designers ranked as "5 star in difficulty", which is perceived to be worse as a dps class than most others but brings some good buffs, and which is insanely harder to tank with compared to the other tank class in the game. If I had wanted "easy" mode, like you for some inexplicable reason seem to wish to blame me of, I would have taken the other tank which is easy as pie to tank with, which is perceived as the best solo pvp char / good group pvp char ... dunno about it's dps potential as it is more a pure tanker I think. Didn't care, not interested in it the least bit since it was so brainlessly easy one to tank with, it seems.

Edited by Ewert