Regarding server queues

StephenReid

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The server caps must be set really low.

I would tend to agree with this statement.

For an instanced game on a heavily populated server with so many people starting characters in the starter areas, I have not seen more than 2 instances of any given map or area.

This either means we have not seen all the instances or that the server caps are relatively low.

Cheers!

2_more_cents_Canuck :)

Wait in a queue once for a long time is one thing. Waiting again over and over after being booted off of an overloaded server is another. I dont understand why with all of the planning on prelaunch guild server deployment that prelaunched guilds are stuffed into overloaded servers. The queue issue needs to be solved, otherwise any preorder headstart benefit that was advertised by the team is pretty meaningless.

Add extra RP servers, Since somehow you have avoided adding any extra EU RP servers. Then Stop.

Add more shards, to at least... 5. Of EVERY server. Then double AT THE VERY LEAST population caps.

Then Offer free transfers solo / Guild to EVERYONE (just cus some girl is sat on her own doesnt mean she has to stay on a crappy server, offer to EVERYONE)

Then... Add a friggin grace period of 10 minutes for DCs.

Problem solved. Everyone Quits whining, Everyone stops threatening to cancel... Suddenly you hear "Oh wow thats Awesome, Look at that AMAZING BW / EA Launch of SWTOR, those guys are pro's"

(My consultation Fee Invoice is in the post)

agreed. . .

Waiting any time over 10 minutes is too long.

Agreed. 10 minute que times is understandable during a launch event. But sitting in que for 30+ minutes because of a server side disconnect is just downright ********.

If you're havin this problem over the next couple weeks, you're going to have a lot of very unhappy customers and your launch will be leaving a foul taste in a lot of peoples mouths.

You've been making people wait for over 6 years for this game. Then when it finally comes out, they get to sit in long que lines. Really Bioware?

Edited by Liquil

only 29 now .... yay

hope i get more than the 15 mins i got last time ....

24 hours of gaming = 10 hrs of indifference 5 hrs of bliss and 9 hrs of utter frustration

Just hope you dont get disconnected as soon as you get in.....like me :mad:

You know what you NEED to fix? When a computer freezes (like mine just did), and I reboot in less than 60 seconds, go to log in and am placed 385th in line. That's borderline ********. Give at least a 5 minute change for the person to reconnect. This is effin stupid.

Oh, and guess what? At the end of queue, I get "Error 2005 Your account has been disconnected." Back to 161 in queue. This is so awesome.

You did not "pay" for early access. You simply pre-ordered the game and by doing so, were given the chance to access the game a few days before launch. You paid the same as everyone else so have no more rights than any other player. In fact, EA/Origin/Bioware has even added a 2 day grace period to accomodate those who have early access but have to wait for their retail boxes to get their keys. This is a good thing and a solid move IMO.

There are queues on only the busiest servers. Granted, I think EA/Origin/Bioware did park some of the bigger guilds on certain servers (which forces some players to have to use those servers to be with their guildmates), but such is the nature of multiple server games. Some are more busy than others.

It's like going to a club in New York, Paris or Toronto. There are some with lines and others without lines. If you choose to go to a club where you know there will be lines, then you can't complain about being in a line waiting to go into that club.

FYI, believe it or not, there were queue for, wait for it... Star Trek Online. Yes, even that game, at launch, had queues for the first month for those who were not Lifetime members. Granted, it was a single, instanced, server, but still, it had queues and guess what, people complained about it and eventually, the queues went away.

This is a "no win" situation.

MMOs that want to keep servers populated, can't risk over commiting servers, because, after the first wave of players, populations die off as people don't continue in the game.

Overcommiting the number of servers forces server-merges too quickly, which, in turn brings in a whole other world of QQ on the forums about whose server is getting merged with whatever.

Look at Age of Conan and Warhammer Online. Both had very very big numbers at launch, with far too many servers. Eventually, as initial players did not sub / re-sub, they got stuck in the server-merger loop which, considering the dismal state of the games beyond a certain level, led also to a sense that the games were doomed, dying and dead.

STO, well... STO was just broken from day but that's another thread for another forum.

Obviously, there won't be the same fall off for SWTOR because, despite issues that are coming up, there are far less bugs and glitches than other games, the servers are, for the most part behaving and let's face it, the IP has a far stronger base and an already loyal following.

If your worse problem is that more people want into your game than you can accomodate initially...

... then that's a good problem to have.

Cheers!

My_2_cents_Canuck :)

ps - although I have my chars on a popular server as well, I have yet to be in a queue and the server load on my home server has not surpassed Very Heavy, so... me and my friends have not been suffereing through the same issues as some others.

Me and my guild were located on a very crowded server. We didn't choose a crowded server, the choice was made for us. If you haven't experienced the trouble other's have then please don't talk about it. BW should have thought in advance, if they knew big guilds were put on the same server than don't let any more people other than guildies in.

I really dont see how two hours q's can be acceptable. I know that BW are trying their best to adjust the servers to make sure they are all nicely populated so you dot get 90% imp 10% republic ect but these q's are just not fun.

Hell I phoned the wife and asked her to log me in at 1700 when I was at work and was told the q was 980. 1 hr later it was 538 I just turned the game off.

From what I have played I really am enjoying the game but there is no chance in hell I am going to keep loggin in and wating for 2hr + to try and play it. I really hope this is sorted in a few weeks and not months as I wont be actavating my game code if it stays like this . And after more then 2 years of looking forward to this release its really sad to see :/

Have not seen the game today, been in the que for 6hrs... Once I got from #366 down to #21, but then my internet dropped and put me back at #450. 6 hrs, no gaming.. weee

Guess there is no way to go but up. I might get to play by Christmas (for 5 minutes, then back in the que)

The ques on Tomb of Freedon Nadd are only showing bout 2 - 3 hours on the "Estimated Wait" but most of the guildies report actual waiting time around 5 hours. Five hours a day is the typical gaming time. I would say that this server does not need much "Art" anymore, it needs intervention and fast, the guilds assigned to the server are seriously suffering losses in various areas. One would say that the preorder Early Access function has been entirely nullified in fact.

You did not "pay" for early access. You simply pre-ordered the game and by doing so, were given the chance to access the game a few days before launch. You paid the same as everyone else so have no more rights than any other player. In fact, EA/Origin/Bioware has even added a 2 day grace period to accomodate those who have early access but have to wait for their retail boxes to get their keys. This is a good thing and a solid move IMO.

There are queues on only the busiest servers. Granted, I think EA/Origin/Bioware did park some of the bigger guilds on certain servers (which forces some players to have to use those servers to be with their guildmates), but such is the nature of multiple server games. Some are more busy than others.

It's like going to a club in New York, Paris or Toronto. There are some with lines and others without lines. If you choose to go to a club where you know there will be lines, then you can't complain about being in a line waiting to go into that club.

FYI, believe it or not, there were queue for, wait for it... Star Trek Online. Yes, even that game, at launch, had queues for the first month for those who were not Lifetime members. Granted, it was a single, instanced, server, but still, it had queues and guess what, people complained about it and eventually, the queues went away.

This is a "no win" situation.

MMOs that want to keep servers populated, can't risk over commiting servers, because, after the first wave of players, populations die off as people don't continue in the game.

Overcommiting the number of servers forces server-merges too quickly, which, in turn brings in a whole other world of QQ on the forums about whose server is getting merged with whatever.

Look at Age of Conan and Warhammer Online. Both had very very big numbers at launch, with far too many servers. Eventually, as initial players did not sub / re-sub, they got stuck in the server-merger loop which, considering the dismal state of the games beyond a certain level, led also to a sense that the games were doomed, dying and dead.

STO, well... STO was just broken from day but that's another thread for another forum.

Obviously, there won't be the same fall off for SWTOR because, despite issues that are coming up, there are far less bugs and glitches than other games, the servers are, for the most part behaving and let's face it, the IP has a far stronger base and an already loyal following.

If your worse problem is that more people want into your game than you can accomodate initially...

... then that's a good problem to have.

Cheers!

My_2_cents_Canuck :)

ps - although I have my chars on a popular server as well, I have yet to be in a queue and the server load on my home server has not surpassed Very Heavy, so... me and my friends have not been suffereing through the same issues as some others.

How's all that ball washing workin for you?

Ironically, as I'm currently in queue at the moment, I don't have time to read all the pages listed here so please forgive me if this has been asked:

Question: Once the Dev's get there head around population ideal and acceptable queue times, what could be the solution for those servers that are already saturated? Will player's be given the opportunity to move character's? Will the Full Servers be 'locked' to new players until the population is deemed manageable for that server? Will the player's on saturated servers have to grin and bear it?

I noticed today that Shadow Hand, The Fatman, and a few others were 'Full' with wait times by 11AM CST. Many of the other servers were 'very heavy' or 'Heavy' at that time as well.

I'm ignorant to the 'architecture' of servers, so I don't know if any of these questions are valid, but I'd be curious to know possible solutions.