new romance

Lukeyellow

I would like ask about the gay romance options and I was wondering why, at least from what I see on the forms, why you are deciding to add this. I personally, do not support this and was wondering why it sounds like you are adding it? Because, this was not in at the launch of the game it makes me wonder if you guys were pressured into doing this. I would like for you to consider my point of view, which I am sure I am not the only one. Part of the reason I play the game is because I enjoy "story", which you at BioWare and Lucas Arts do a wonderful job at, and this seems to be a huge part of the game and seems important to you. To me at least, having gay romance options seems to go away from the story/ lore for two reasons. Please just consider these.

1. It is not in any of the movies and not in any of the video games that I have played, which I have played just about every "Star Wars" game there is for the computer.

2. I have read about 60 "Star Wars" books and have not seen any gay references or marriage at all.

To me, it would seem to be odd to have gay romance 3,000 BBY yet to never see it at all in any “Star Wars” games or books.

Lastly, if you do add this I would like for you to consider that this would be an option that could be toggled “on” or “off”.

I would like ask about the gay romance options and I was wondering why, at least from what I see on the forms, why you are deciding to add this. I personally, do not support this and was wondering why it sounds like you are adding it? Because, this was not in at the launch of the game it makes me wonder if you guys were pressured into doing this. I would like for you to consider my point of view, which I am sure I am not the only one. Part of the reason I play the game is because I enjoy "story", which you at BioWare and Lucas Arts do a wonderful job at, and this seems to be a huge part of the game and seems important to you. To me at least, having gay romance options seems to go away from the story/ lore for two reasons. Please just consider these.

1. It is not in any of the movies and not in any of the video games that I have played, which I have played just about every "Star Wars" game there is for the computer.

2. I have read about 60 "Star Wars" books and have not seen any gay references or marriage at all.

To me, it would seem to be odd to have gay romance 3,000 BBY yet to never see it at all in any “Star Wars” games or books.

Lastly, if you do add this I would like for you to consider that this would be an option that could be toggled “on” or “off”.

Look at Biowares other games, they have them, they were not pressured by the community to add it, its because its sets them in-front of the other giants and shows that they are acceptance of sexual views, instead of forcing sexual orientation like every other game, i think it is fantastic, and before you ask no im not a homosexual, but to each their own.

Not everything was at launch what they wanted there to be, it was abit rushed and they are still adding stuff that they wished was.

Just because its not in books or any games does not make it impossible, there would be billions, or more likely trillions in the star wars universe, games and books cover a tiny tiny percentage of that, it does not show the sexual orientation of every body in the star wars universe now does it?

A toggable option? currently Romance is not forced onto a player its more of a side option that you can choose to pursue, so why would homosexual romance be mandatory all of a sudden?

You are coming of very homophobic, if you don't want to use the homosexual romance option, then don't, just because a minority is either unaccepting or homophobic does not mean the majority should go without.

So you think being able to have same gender romances would detract from the story? Even though all of these would be completely optional...

I hope it does get added for all the people that want it, they should be able to choose what they want to do with their characters.

SGRA's weren't available at launch due to time constraints. When they launch the patch, a few characters will be retconned to being bisexual (Top runner being Kaylio) and we will have homosexual only romances in new companions.

I hope you're right about everything except homosexual only romances, it'll only cause complaints when people get this new companions but can't romance them and then more changes will have to be added.

I hope you're right about everything except homosexual only romances, it'll only cause complaints when people get this new companions but can't romance them and then more changes will have to be added.

It's to keep it fair. There will be straight only romances and a few bisexuals. If anyone really complains that someone is just not attracted to them, then they have too big an ego.

I'd be happy if I could toggle off those annoying hetro guys that are hitting on me the whole time, when I just want to cuddle up to Kalyio or Mako. :p

No seriously, I think it's fine for everyone to have the opportunity for any relationship. Except with Khem. He's a jerk.

They are adding it because fortunately Bioware is a very open-minded and non-discriminatory company. There are same sex relationships in their other games and there is no reason for there not to be that option in TOR. They are not being pressured into anything, this is something they support and have for a long time.

It actually is already in the lore, both in the first KOTOR game and there's at least one gay Mandalorian couple in the books.

Bioware has stated that discussion of a toggle is considered discriminatory. You can't turn off any other aspect of gameplay, there is no reason to only be able to "turn off the gay". If you don't want to engage in a same sex relationship in the game, then don't click the flirt options.

Edit because I accidentally a word

Edited by Lurkz

I'd be happy if I could toggle off those annoying hetro guys that are hitting on me the whole time, when I just want to cuddle up to Kalyio or Mako. :p

No seriously, I think it's fine for everyone to have the opportunity for any relationship. Except with Khem. He's a jerk.

Khem is easy to get along with. Just give him a little belly rub.

*rubs Khem's belly*

Who's my favorite Dashade? Who's my favorite Dahade? Is it you? Yes, it is! Yes, it is you!

*watches Khem giggle on the ground*

I would like ask about the gay romance options and I was wondering why, at least from what I see on the forms, why you are deciding to add this.

Because it opens up the game to a loyal audience. Because Bioware have a history of including diverse romances. And because it's the right thing to do.

I personally, do not support this and was wondering why it sounds like you are adding it? Because, this was not in at the launch of the game it makes me wonder if you guys were pressured into doing this. I would like for you to consider my point of view, which I am sure I am not the only one. Part of the reason I play the game is because I enjoy "story", which you at BioWare and Lucas Arts do a wonderful job at, and this seems to be a huge part of the game and seems important to you. To me at least, having gay romance options seems to go away from the story/ lore for two reasons. Please just consider these.

KOTOR. Juhani was a lesbian and a romance option for female Revan.

Read Karen Traviss. Specifically, her Mandalorian couple Goran Beviin and Medrit Vasur are gay, married and quite awesome.

I think their decision to consider such a thing discriminatory probably means no.

Khem's an interesting one, of course... for a female Inquisitor wanting to pursue a *very* story-significant same-gender romance...

I hope the companions being considered to be made bisexual are those where the romance is a very definite part of the story arc, leaving the companion a bit 'flat' if it's not pursued. Again, with the Inquisitor, Ashara, for instance, who doesn't really have much reason to *be* with a female inquisitor at the moment, or Andronikos with a male one, and so on- whereas, much as my Jedi Knight would enjoy breaking the Jedi code with Kira, it none the less makes complete sense in-story for Kira to be travelling with my Knight, without romance being an issue, or, for a counterexample, Talos Drellik, romancing of whom isn't *really* necessary- though I have to wonder if he's being added as a male-only romance for the Inquisitor, given the early confusion about whether or not he was romanceable, and the slightly odd lack of *anything* flirt-wise for female Inquisitors with him, after the first one.

Kaliyo is a perfect example, seeing as how she still *has* her flirty emotes *toward* the female Agent, it's just that she delivers all those lines, but you can't flirt back, and she goes "Yuck" if you give her courting gifts at present.

As for the original poster... yes, there's an opt-out. It's easy. When the 'flirt' option shows up on the dialogue wheel, if you're not interested- or, more importantly, if the character you're playing's not interested- in the NPC you're conversing with... don't click it. Contrary to whatever MiddleAmericaTM might have taught you... just seeing the possibility of a flirt with someone of the same gender as your character on screen will *not* paint you gay. Honestly, it really won't :)

• 1 month later...

Dislike this. xD

Khem is the only possible new romance (at least in my head anyway) that I would actively pursue. Haven't married Andronikus for that specific purpose.

Didn't know sexual affinity was lore related.

I am happy with the coming SGRA, and I'm hetero.

It Bioware did not allow heterosexual romances, it would effectively be made sexist against GLBT due to it's diversity in allowing such in other games (Mass Effect, KOTOR, Dragon Age 1 AND 2) I'm not Heterosexual, Bisexual, or any of the others, but I support homosexuality/bisexuality because it's the right thing to do and everyone has the freedom to decide who they like and want to be with. If anyone, government or person, tries to stop that, they are overstepping their bounds and invading the privacy and rights of others.