The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Made my first Vanguard this week

Playing the war zones to level, I'm usually in the middle of the pack in damage and kills, only level 18 and so I think there is pleny of room for improvement and not ready to give up yet...however:

The main thing I'm concerned about is that I feel that my trooper is just plain slow. Am I doing anything wrong? I'll be attacking a glowstick and they'll just turn around and run off and it's very hard for me to catch up to them to finish them off. Also, if I need to retreat I can never get away...I'll throw a Cryo Grenade turn and run but they always seem to catch me.

Also, the Shadows/Assassins run circles around me...not sure what to do against them when they close on me, they are so fast for my Vanguard. Will I gain better short range abilities at higher levels? Right now, Pulse Cannon is pretty much useless because it's so slow and they'll just run behind me and yeah Stockstrike is good but then I'm just sitting there with normal attack for 9 seconds and by then I'm dead.

Any help or suggestions?

Edited by FourPawnBenoni

It would be helpful to know what tree or playstyle you are looking to pick up. The Shield, Tactics and Assualt playstyles are all different.

I would be using Ion Pulse for any combat <10m if you need filler talents and have the ammo. Typically when I fight melee I will try and kite them if it is a solo fight. I am level 18 shield spec so with Neural Overload I slow movement speed by 50% for 2 seconds when Ion Cell procs. This allows me to get some distance and Hammer Shot away for easy damage and a chance to slow. You can also HIB and Sticky Grenade from a distance to try and build up a health advantage before you move back into close range.

With Pulse Cannon you can start casting it and then right click and move your mouse to pivot your character. This will allow you to point yourself at your target even while moving so that Pulse Cannon continues to hit them. Since it is channeled you can pivot but you can't move anywhere or you will stop casting.

I run Ion Cell so I am typically in the upper third for damage / kills and lead the WZ in protection with taunts and guards. I am just itching to get harpoon at 22.

The reason some players are moving faster than you is that Shadows/Assassins and Sentinels/Marauders both have talents that let them move 15% faster in combat. If that's something you want, you could always go Tactics. It's almost impossible to run away from a Tactics Vanguard; their specialty is being in your face and interrupting your skills.

As for being able to run away, welcome to Vanguard class. In PvP, we are able to take down any other class, or at least have a fighting chance. If you lose a 1v1, it's a gear/skill issue rather than a class issue. However, we have no good escape abilities like other classes. As a Vanguard, you finish the fight or die.