The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Help with tank stats

Obligate

I've been doing research on how to set my BH tank up based on stat prorities for damage mitigation. The trouble I am having is that I have seen 3 different guides all claiming 3 different stat priorities are the best. One claims defense is the best mitigation stat, another says absorption/shield rating, and the third says neither is best and focus on all due to the diminishing returns of stats. Consequently, I'm confused and looking for some reliable recommendations on how to set my BH up the best I possibly can.

I have been focusing mostly on shield/absorption so far because that seems to me how the class is built based on the talent trees. If there is another approach I should take, I would really like to know which it should be.

Thanks for your help.

First off, avoid accuracy as much as you can.

With that out of the way, you'll have shield rating on almost every peice of gear anyway, so the real choice will be between absorb and defense.

Until pretty far in, you'll have a lot more trouble getting absorb than you will getting defense, so when you have the choice, favor absorb (such as on augments and etc).

If you want more detailed than that, you need to use something like MorningMusume's spreadsheet (on this forum) to tell you the relative stat values, to tell you which is more valuable for YOU with your current gear.

But as a general rule, for PTs, we get a ton of boosts to shield/absorb, which makes stacking them as a tank MORE valuable, so shield/absorb are very attractive for us.

Shield/Absorb, that's the main focus of PT tank, which is different from other tanks.

It is also worth noting that too much defense for a PT actually lowers dps and hence "Threat", since in theory you will have less procs on Rocket Punch.

I just go for all absorb/shield, in that order, and get defense only if no other option. Sadly, by and large you have to go with shield/defense columi enchancments for all of our slots, as the rakata ones are by and large worthless across the board. To get better ones, you'll have to do HM/NM Ops, which normally drop a defensive enhancment off the 2nd boss.

If I could have any enchancements I wanted, i'd go with 40 End/51 Shield/20 Absorb ones across the board. I've only got two on my PT though.

And while Shield/Abosrb do have DR, this is largely mitigated by the fact that going from 48->49% absorb decreases damage more than going from 20-21%, so I wouldn't worry a ton about the DR.