The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Are Vanguard viable PVE DPS?

I would say with spec/gear vanguard are a good dps class :) we have less burst then before the assault nerf, but with changes to commando we are on line with them..

I am a full dps vanguard, don't regret at all. love the class, looking at the numbers we are useful. If u only want to dps I would go sentinel or gunslinger. If u want taunts, heavy armor, harpoon and at same time have good dps go vanguard ( or if u already got one) keep playing him. :cool:

guys i like your feedbacks regarding the vanguard class. can you share your skill tree set up for assault tree(if im not mistaken this is for dps,correct me if im wrong)? i'm a lvl 36 shield spec. i wanna respec to assault, indeed i felt that my HP,def ,and absorb is doin OK but when im in the warzone it ALWAYS comes to a point wherein my target is only like what, maybe a hundred or even 50 remaining HP and i still can't kill the darn guy.in short i felt like im lacking the fire power that i need to finish the job.thanks guy:D

We are, both in assault and tactics. When running assault, it is very hard to manage your ammo however, which will often end up with you being dry for extended periods on longer fights, which means a massive DPS loss (note, didn't try Assault post 1.2).

Tactics has good sustained however, and we have usually have 1 tactics vanguard joining us, sometimes 2 if I don't tank. We seem to make the enrage timers easily every time, and I usually finish first, or close to first on the Infernal Council.

Edited by Fdzzaigl

I raided in tactics spec running high energy cell. I did very well and had very little ammo issues with extended fights. 3/4 of my stocks strikes where free and a similar number of my HiBs where crits. Ion pulse hits hard in the build as does fire pulse which add stacks for your pulse cannon.

Plus the spec is mobile.

Before you all poo poo it you can give it a shot and with the parsers compare to rest of raid and see what kind of numbers you put out.

Edited by bglodt
Grammar

in rubbish gear i did about 1100dps with a tactics "norse" spec and close to 1200dps with assault(on dummies).

the specs play completely different although tactics is much more fun and has much more utility built in the spec, problem is far away from a mob you feel helpless often particularly in boss fights where they dont stand still. assault is only hard to manage ammo if you dont know what your doing but if you do get carried away and burnt all your ammo it sucks waitings for it to regen and leaves you powerless todo anything and just reapplying your dot will screw you, tip is NOT to go below 60% ammo if your in a "constant dps" fight although on the last boss on eternity vault, when he drops his shield you have far more scoop to burn him hard than you ever will with tactics!. Tactics is far more forgiving with ammo, although i still prefer the spec that doesnt use gut or high impact bolt as ion pulse spam is easier todo and manage your ammo around.

I'f your new to the class i'd recommend giving tactics a go as its far more forgiving, read TheOpfs post in the bounty hunter section and use the "norse" spec, if you find you dont enjoy it then try out assault for higher dps:)

problem ive found playing pve dps is everyone expects/wants you to tank:(

Edited by mendicantdog

Problem I've run into is everyone thinking that I'm a 30m ranged DPS. Um...no...I need to be about 10m...sorry if that doesn't coincide with where your healing circle is.... drop another one or find a different button to mash,lol

Actually, if DPS isn't crucial, we can do decent at 30m. Some Assault Vanguards have done testing, and they find they can do roughly 75% of max DPS from 30m range. So if you could put out 1200 DPS in melee range, you can put out 900 DPS from 30m away. Obviously in fights with enrage times where you need every drop of DPS that won't work. However, if there's a fight where you being out of melee range would be more important than squeezing every drop of DPS that you can out of your class, Assault can handle it.

Also, there's a third option. Assault takes a hit of 10% or less DPS attacking from 10m away. So if there's a mechanic that would make it dangerous or difficult to be within melee range, Assault at least can DPS pretty competently from 10m.

Clearly, Tactics isn't going to do nearly as well from 30m away.

guys i like your feedbacks regarding the vanguard class. can you share your skill tree set up for assault tree(if im not mistaken this is for dps,correct me if im wrong)? i'm a lvl 36 shield spec. i wanna respec to assault, indeed i felt that my HP,def ,and absorb is doin OK but when im in the warzone it ALWAYS comes to a point wherein my target is only like what, maybe a hundred or even 50 remaining HP and i still can't kill the darn guy.in short i felt like im lacking the fire power that i need to finish the job.thanks guy:D

Go to Taugrim.com and look up the vanguard guides.