The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Why do healers benefit double from Expertise? Can a Dev explain this design decision?

xdvesper

The issue you mentioned is always an issue in any expertise/resilience system, which is a part of why many were against this type of system in the beginning. Damage & Mitigation can be counter-balanced pretty easily. On the other hand, healing screws everything up, because there's no easy way to counter the way it scales (there are technically ways, but many are fairly complex and tough to implement). As far as healing goes, as you get more expertise/resilience, it just gets better.

Now they can't just get rid of the healing effect. They have to give +healing to expertise, because otherwise we'd all just use our PvE gear (even in 1.2 there are a few pieces of PvE gear you can swap in without losing survivability or healing output).

They try to counter the problem by using the static -healing debuff in WZ, and by giving heals a lower % from expertise than DPS or damage-reduction when it comes to scaling.

It's not perfect, or anywhere near. But like I said, healing screws up the system. Thus we see band-aids like Trauma and lower % healing from expertise. It's a matter of trying to make healing work in a system that by design never worked properly for healing.

That "other" MMO had (probably still has) the exact same isssue with resilience. And they've been doing PvP for a while now.

This would be the issue. Resilence is what made healing king in WOW, thus leading to 80% healing teams. Many servers have seen the same thing here, mine included.

1.2 is a dps zergest anyway, if you ask me healing does need some boost

Agreed, my 11% healing increase in comparison to at least the 4-5% dmg increase over my dmg reduction is ridiculous. NTM marauders getting buffed and with their healing debuff it's just a joke that ppl would think healing is OP at all. I do significantly less healing in WZs then i do when i go PvE yet ppl are complaining about healers being OP? IMO people who complain about healers are those who don't know how to use their cc/interrupts effectively because i can easily get crushed by say, 2 maras in equal set of gear (im a sorc healer). I wouldn't mind this if they didn't have awesome survivability with their defensive CDs on top of it. And any other dps class it's pretty much the same. Use your cc/interrupts wisely on healers, focus target, and healers are a joke, 8 dps teams can crush if they actually know how to play the game.

Whatever though, apparently healers are OP... that's just ridiculous to think.

Btw those numbers are ridiculously off, this thread is a joke.

The real problem is that it is much easier to inflict a huge amount of damage quickly while healing it takes time. The result from nerfing the already nerfed healing and buffing dps at the same time is that healing cannot keep up with dps. Then, you end up with a very quick time to kill. If Bioware had even considerd dps vs hps then this wouldn't have gone live. :rolleyes: