The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Is Ion Cell Broken for Vanguards too?

Rischardo

Hello Troopers, I decided to wander over to these forums to see if ya'll were having the same problem Powertechs have. Right now it seems like Ion gas cylinder (Ion Cell for you guys) is broken. Here's my post on the Powertech forums:

I tested IGC on the Boss dummy on my ship and calculated that it has about 35% damage reduction from armor. IGC and its shock are supposed to do energy damage which, to my knowledge, is not mitigated by armor, but I wanted to see if this was the reason for the damage reduction. Here are my findings:

My IGC tool tip: 539 energy damage

My Ion Overload tool tip: 227 energy damage over 6 seconds

Actual IGC: 117 energy damage (no crits)

Actual Ion Overload: 146 energy damage (no crits, two hits of 74) over 6 seconds

IGC difference: -423 (-78% than tool tip)

Ion Overload difference: -81 (-35% than tool tip)

Assuming for a second that energy damage is mitigated by armor, IGC is losing much more damage than it should. Thus, at least IGC is broken. Ion Overload isn't as bad, but it seems like it's missing a tick. If Ion Overload ticked one more time, it would do 222 damage, which would more or less match the tool tip.

This needs to be fixed. We have two talents that are supposed to increase IGC damage (I did not have either in my test) by a total of 33%. Since IGC is broken, these talent points would net me a whooping 38 extra damage per IGC proc. If IGC was properly working, these talents would give me a 177 damage increase to every IGC proc and would actually be worthwhile.

As of right now, Supercharged Ion Gas and Prototype Cylinders are next to useless for Powertech tanks, so steer clear of them.

Could a Vanguard test Ion Cell and see if you're getting the same results? It would be much appreciated.

I am not sure but I know a lot of people have said that ion cell's initial damage doesn't even work for trooper. Not sure if that means all of the ion cell damage and the dot is the only thing that works for us or what. Haven't tested it myself so no idea. But I know it has been mentioned on more then one occasion that ion cell seems to be bugged in some fashion damage wise. Add it to the list of bugs for trooper.

Kinetic and Energy are the two damage types that are mitigated by armor. Sage skills like Project (throwing a rock at you) are Kinetic, which we all know is mitigated. The Sorc mirror skill Shock deals Energy damage. If Energy wasn't mitigated, that would be a massive imbalance. Also, all weapon damage (except maybe if you're using a vibrosword or something) is usually Energy.

Hover your mouse over "Damage Reduction" in your character sheet, and you'll see that Kinetic and Energy are mitigated by armor.

However, those numbers are still clearly bugged.

Okay, my mistake...I saw "energy" damage and assumed it was linked to tech/force power. I knew that armor mitigated kinetic damage, so I figured the 35% armor on the target dummy by figuring out how much my rocket punch (stock strike) was reduced by.

So it looks like Ion Overload is working properly and should be only doing 2 ticks. I guess this makes sense since Supercharged Ion Gas/Cell adds three seconds to the shock and presumably one more tick. 1 tick/sec means 2 ticks in 6 seconds.

IGC (IC), however, is having the damage reduced way more than 35%, so something else (buggy coding) is reducing it more than it should. If a Vanguard could test this out real quick and see if they're getting similar results on Ion Cell, that would be great.

As stated a couple posts up

ion cell is an energy ability, while plasma cell (plasma cylinder or whatever for BH) is the external damage cell which is not mitigated by armor, and high energy cell is the internal cell

and put into the fact that ion cel has a 50/50% chance to actually activate, which of course can be increased in the sheild spec/ sheild tech tree