Full outages vs those of us who aren't in a USA timezone

glrashopper

Grrr!

I just found out via SMS message that Bioware are doing another full outage tonight. Why oh why do they insist on taking down the asia/pacific servers during our prime gaming time? It gets very annoying when you get home from work, unwind, have some dinner etc, then find out that the servers are going down in 15 minutes and won't be up again until the wee hours of the morning!

I'm sure that I'm not the only person in this part of the world trying to collect the armour set from the Tatooine event. Two long prime-time outages this week has now put us two days behind in unlocking the dailies. If Bioware ends up ending this event before those of us in this part of the world have even been given a resonable chance to unlock all the quests then there is going to be quite a few angry players over here!

Disclaimer: I work in IT, so I understand the need for outages, but come on; you're making sure that USA players get a fair chance at gametime, why not the rest of us? Surely rolling outages can't be that difficult for you to implement?

Edited by glrashopper

I posted a similar thread a while ago. Let me save you some time.

1. No one from Bioware will respond.

2. You will get people in the same timezone agree with you.

3. You will get even more people, effected by it or not, telling you to get over it/get a life/it's not that important/it's how it is. etc. saying things will never change.

FWIW, I completely agree with you and I do think it needs to be addressed, but you're battling complacency and people who feel the need to put you in your place and hint you're acting like you're over entitled.

I think it would be cool of them to cycle downtimes to make it fair for every region, but given that the majority of players are in the US, ( I assume of course) then they would look to keep the masses happier. I agree that it sucks to have your time affected. I know I didnt care much for it when it has happened to me. Games are like crack, gotta get our fix! lol :D:wea_03:

OP, I feel for you. I'm in the US, but I've often thought how annoying it must be to have prime gaming time often ruined by updates.

You would think that on the non-US servers they could arrange the downtime to be during the wee hours of your morning like it is for us over here.

Edited by Lunazen

The problem is that they currently only have once instance of a login system and all traffic is run through it.

So even though AU / PAC have their own servers in Australia, the login server is still in the USA. They have already stated that they are going to stay with the global shut down system. Probably because its too hard otherwise.

The problem is that they currently only have once instance of a login system and all traffic is run through it.

So even though AU / PAC have their own servers in Australia, the login server is still in the USA. They have already stated that they are going to stay with the global shut down system. Probably because its too hard otherwise.

That. If they could stagger the shutdowns they probably would but the fact is all of the servers are in one location, the only thing separating a "West Coast" server from "East Coast" is name.

Greetings everyone!

We appreciate your feedback! In the interest of consolidating feedback regarding the topic of tonight's maintenance, we are going to close this thread and ask that you please continue this discussion here:

maintenance, why so much

If you would like to discuss maintenance and it's impact on our EU community, you can do so in this thread:

Weekly server maintenance EU times?

The current information regarding tonight's maintenance can be found here:

Maintenance: April 19th, 2012

We will be deploying a patch and performing an unscheduled maintenance this Thursday, April 19th, 2012. Patch notes will be made available shortly after the servers come back up.

The servers will be down for four hours on Thursday, April 19th, 2012 from 2AM CDT (12AM PDT/3AM EDT/8AM BST/9AM CEST/5PM AEST) until 6AM CDT (4AM PDT/7AM EDT/12PM BST/1PM CEST/9PM AEST). All game servers will be offline during this period. This maintenance is expected to take no more than four hours, but could be extended.

After the maintenance, please login via the launcher to download the latest patch. If your launcher was open during the maintenance, you must close and reopen it for a fresh login.

Maintenance

Date: Thursday, April 19th, 2012

Time: 2AM CDT (12AM PDT/3AM EDT/8AM BST/9AM CEST/5PM AEST) until 6AM CDT (4AM PDT/7AM EDT/12PM BST/1PM CEST/9PM AEST).

All game servers will be offline during this period. This game maintenance is expected to take no more than four hours.

Thank you for your patience as we maintain service for Star Wars™: The Old Republic™.

Thank you for your patience!