Server Transfer: Name Placeholder

EternityDre

Hi,

Apologies if this question has been answered, but I can't seem to find an answer.

My main, named Bobby, is on a US server. When the Australian servers first came up, I created a character on the PVP server named Bobby to reserve my name. Now, from what I've read, if I try and copy my main character over to the Australian server, I will be prompted to choose a new name when I first log in to my main. Now, I'm not sure how to proceed.

If I go and delete my "placeholder" Bobby, there is a chance that before the 24th while transfers are being processed, someone will create a character named Bobby and I'm out of luck. Obviously I want to avoid that, hence making a placeholder character in the first place.

What I want to know is, If I copy my main it will reset his name and ask me to choose a new one when I first log in. If at this point, when I know its been copied, I delete "placeholder" Bobby, then log in to my main and name him "Bobby" will this work? Or will it reject the name because it was his original name? Or will it not recognise the name even though I just deleted placeholder Bobby?

I'm basically looking for a dev to confirm how this will work so I can guarantee my main retains his original name during the transfer. Or does anyone else know how this will work?

Thanks for your time.

Edited by EternityDre

I'd say keep the place holder, there truly isn't a need to delete it yet as the actual transfers don't begin until the 24th, if I read correctly. That's only the beginning of the transfers, not necessarily yours, it said in the FAQ that the actual transfer of only your characters shouldn't extent beyond 3 hours, so any random 3 hours within that 7 day transfer period.

What I would do is keep the place holder until your main is transferred, I believe you don't have to change the name until you log in again(I may be wrong, but if it's the case then..), delete the placeholder and then you should be able to rename your character to Bobby in those few minutes that span from deleting the placeholder to naming the main, unless you're really unlucky and someone steals the name in those few moments.

I'd say keep the place holder, there truly isn't a need to delete it yet as the actual transfers don't begin until the 24th, if I read correctly. That's only the beginning of the transfers, not necessarily yours, it said in the FAQ that the actual transfer of only your characters shouldn't extent beyond 3 hours, so any random 3 hours within that 7 day transfer period.

What I would do is keep the place holder until your main is transferred, I believe you don't have to change the name until you log in again(I may be wrong, but if it's the case then..), delete the placeholder and then you should be able to rename your character to Bobby in those few minutes that span from deleting the placeholder to naming the main, unless you're really unlucky and someone steals the name in those few moments.

Yep that's what I think too, but wouldn't mind a confirmation that will work, since it's renaming back to the original name.

When transfers become available, aren't they instant?

1. Delete placeholder (when transfer is available).

2. Transfer

3. Set name.

Problem?

It doesn't work like that. You have to sign up before the 24th for a transfer and then sometime within the next 7 days, you won't know when exactly, your character will transfer over. I believe it said in the email this transfer could take up to 3 hours.

I'd really like an answer to the name thing too. I want to know if I need to delete my placeholders before the 24th or not. BioWare's being really quite on the issue though and locking these threads.

The problem will be if they prompt you to pick your new toon name before or after you get access to the screen which allows you to delete characters.

This is what is in the FAQ:

If your character name is already taken on the destination server, your character will be transferred and assigned a temporary name. You will be prompted to choose a new name for the character when you log in to the new server.

What is not clear if "when you log in to the new server" means when login and access the character select screen, or if this means when login to server with character you transferred.

I would be really nice if Bioware would clear this up before the 24th. Otherwise they can expect another round of trashing on their forums from unhappy customers due to their incompetence at customer service/support.

I am in the same boat - created placeholders for my 4 characters on US server, In the FAQ it says

What happens if my character name is already taken on my desired destination Asia Pacific server?

If your character name is already taken on the destination server, your character will be transferred and
assigned a temporary name
. You will be prompted to choose a new name for the character when you log in to the new server.

Therefore I would suggest deleting the placeholder before the 24th and hope like hell your transfer happens before someone else pinches your name :)

Edited by DavydM

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.