Are server merges coming?

Colisius

Hi,

Is it just me or are you ready to quit swtor due to low server populations?

The only server with a decent size population is tomb of freedom nadd and that's a 50 minute queue time to log!!

Yet I'm so sick of playing on a low population server and feeling like I'm playing a single player game, I'm actually tempted to join everyone else and roll a character on tomb of freedom nadd, just so I can feel like its an mmo.

I'm playing on Tott Doneeta and although there is a great bunch of players on the server, the server is dead!

I really wish the Dev team would atleast take the time to confirm whether server merged are something they intend to address or not!

Edited by Colisius

server transfers are coming, soon hopefully. i'd suggest rolling an alt on the server you intend to transfer to. that way you get to experience the game as it should be, plus you can reserve your legacy name in the meantime (by getting past act 1 on the alt).

No word on server merges, and unlikely to happen. Character transfers will be made available when the developers figure out how to do so.

I don't think it's a matter of figuring it out so much as it's a matter of will to allow people to do it.

BioWare is not interested in server merges. They saw the potential problems with server population and just said "**** it". This is how they are revolutionizing the industry of MMO's. No server merges. True ingenuity was borne with BioWare.

Maybe its just me....but i dont think server merge is really the answer to the problem....I would say that if they impliment cross server queing for pvp and ops, then no one would care. Cross server the GTM also....get it booming!. Then who would care?

Maybe its just me....but i dont think server merge is really the answer to the problem....I would say that if they impliment cross server queing for pvp and ops, then no one would care. Cross server the GTM also....get it booming!. Then who would care?

No, I love world pvp also, servers merges are definitely necessary. There is always a rush of people at the start and full servers, then people get back to work, and some people quit, so it goes down by a good amount.

They need to do a good few server merges or people are going to just get bored of feeling like they are playing a single player game. I want to see lots of people out and about, so we can group, pvp, talk trash and what not. I agree yes cross server queueing and a LFG tool would help with getting groups, but is not the only thing needed.

Got 600+ people online on empire at 22.00 at night,500 or so on republic side.people mostly ask for server merges due to long pvp queues or hard to find flashpoint runs,im a healer and can find runs in a heartbeat...pvp is very slow later in the day BUT that has nothing to do with numbers,if people dont want to pvp then they wont.

Only way to guarantee a faster queue has to be cross server pvp queues,sure a touch of community gets lost but the community is there,just doesent seem to want to queue 24/7.

To put it into context for others to compare. At any time we usually see between 4 to 15 republic on fleet and at best I've seen 22 onimp fleet. As for planets, usually 1-2 players on any given planet.

Is this much lower than other servers?? Have I just rolled on a server that's dying or us this problem wider spread?

This whole "losing community" mess is nonsense. There is no community to worry about losing to begin with. "Building community" is not supposed to be done by making people sit in a 30 minute queue so that they can talk in general. I pay to PLAY the game, not sit and talk with people.

I am all for server merges and cross-server queuing. It is the only reason I played WoW for as many years as I did.

I don't think it's a matter of figuring it out so much as it's a matter of will to allow people to do it.
No, they literally don't know how to transfer a character while maintaining Legacy information. They have to figure out how. Edited by HeavensAgent

No, they literally don't know how to transfer a character while maintaining Legacy information. They have to figure out how.

It never once occurred to them, in all their planning and all the time and effort put in to the game that one day, and probably sooner then later, people are going to want to change servers? Stuff like that should have been built as a core part of the game, and have other things built around those abilities and features instead of trying to just tack it on at the end.

It never once occurred to them, in all their planning and all the time and effort put in to the game that one day, and probably sooner then later, people are going to want to change servers? Stuff like that should have been built as a core part of the game, and have other things built around those abilities and features instead of trying to just tack it on at the end.

Yes, and if everything that everyone wanted had been done at launch, this game would have never launched.

Things had to be prioritized, and transfers got pushed down the list.

It would have been better to let the queues continue.

But Rift did the same thing at launch, and then closed a LOT of servers. It is kind of da**ed if you do and da**ed if you don't.

It should be looked at like: do you serve amazing wine to the first 50 people in the queue and ask everyone to line up to a glass or do you water down the wine enough for everyone to take a glass?

If u ask me, it's better to wait for something u want rather than have something there available that's only 50% of what it can be.

I imagine they did, and I believe they planned on a way to transfer characters in the first place. I also believe that complications resulting from the Legacy system were not foreseen ahead of time, and could not have been accounted for.

Hi,

Is it just me or are you ready to quit swtor due to low server populations?

The only server with a decent size population is tomb of freedom nadd and that's a 50 minute queue time to log!!

Yet I'm so sick of playing on a low population server and feeling like I'm playing a single player game, I'm actually tempted to join everyone else and roll a character on tomb of freedom nadd, just so I can feel like its an mmo.

I'm playing on Tott Doneeta and although there is a great bunch of players on the server, the server is dead!

I really wish the Dev team would atleast take the time to confirm whether server merged are something they intend to address or not!

Just wait till GW2 comes out. The NPCs will be so jelly of your gear

BW said for they are focusing on:

- More Legacy Rewards (1.2-1.3)

- Group Finder (1.3)

- They have stated they are working on Character Transfers as a priority but have not released more info than that.

(To me it would make sense to offer free character transfers from the 10 lowest population servers into the 5-10 of the mid range ones in their same time zone. But no official word. I definately dont want everyone jumping over to Fatman due to it having the biggest population.)

- We know Multi Spec is coming in 2 parts –1st part allow switch between skill trees, 2nd part switching changes to gear loadouts - but no ETA yet.

Yes, server population imbalances make me want to leave the game. I love SW:ToR, but when you don't have anyone to play with, how are we supposed to enjoy an MMO?

The problem is that merging servers will cause all kinds of havoc. Players will lose the names of their characters, guilds...just lots of general bad things.

BioWare needs to open up free character transfers to and from any and every server, including PvE->PvP, PvP->PvE, RP->Whatever, etc etc. Let players stabilize server populations on their own, and begin to slowly close down a few servers until there are nothing but High+ population servers left.

At that point, they can open up a new server or two when the population actually begins to grow again. It will grow, too. When players are having fun on thriving servers, they get their friends to join them. When players are mad because they have nobody to play with, they do not try to get their friends to join, because no rational person wants their friend to waste time and money on something that neither of them will ultimately have fun with due to lack of other players.

This question was answered at the PAX East Q&A, day 2. You can check dulfy's transcript to confirm. They said getting character transfers to work is top priority after 1.2. It will come first to the Asia servers, then PTS, then the American Servers. They will let player transfers be the norm for a while and then, if it is necessary they will look at merging servers that reall need it. I imagine no server that has anything higher than light volume during primetime will be considered though.