This could have been avoided.

Aaoogaa

90% of the missed bugs and down time could have been avoided by allowing a large number of players to copy to test. A little effort by the company could have saved you a great deal of customer frustration. Nice job on erking your entire player base because of a little lazy development. I hope that allowing either a copy to test function or premade 50s is on the immediate horizon for this game's test server because those currently being paid for QA are not doing their job.

to be fair it looks like someone cocked up the hotfix this morning. That being the case nobody could have stopped this from happening (except the person/s who made said **** up)

Maybe the hotfix could have been avoided in the first place though. :csw_yoda:

Agreed, as mentioned on other threads I work in this environment, after Dev QA and UAT should be signed off. And their deployment plan should never be 'lets take down every single server and patch it all beyond the point of no return' - would have loved to be in that change control meeting (if there even was one).

Whether it's a professional service or entertainment, it's providing a service to paying customers and they really should use some common sense with their planning.

I've had issues with software releases before or server patching, solution? Follow the rollback plan, re-instate the old server images and or roll back the software, fix and re-schedule and impliment. Of course if it's a minor bug that isn't a show stopper, ok run with it and fix it on the fly.

I think with all the hype though they may feel they have passed the point of no return and do not want to go back rather than forward. Still a stupid decision in my book, they created more harm than good locking everyone out of the game, they should have rolled back, fixed the bugs then released it properly.

Oh well, just my 2p.

P.S forgive typing errors as I am typing on a mobile device in a restaurant :)

Edited by RougenFarstar

to be fair it looks like someone cocked up the hotfix this morning. That being the case nobody could have stopped this from happening (except the person/s who made said **** up)

This ^ There were bound to be problems when 1.2 launched no matter how many people tested it. And someone just screwed up is all. OP doesnt understand what they're talking about.

This could have been avoided with a proper backup of stuff which i think they failed to do as the patch was so minor.

Lesson learnt i guess.

coming from IT, no minor patch is minor. ALWAYS backup. What could be a small patch CAN produce major disaster (standard IT stuff)

I'm shock it is this bad for EA who is much bigger than my company.

coming from IT, no minor patch is minor. ALWAYS backup. What could be a small patch CAN produce major disaster (standard IT stuff)

I know i know, but i guess Bioware didnt know. ;)

90% of the missed bugs and down time could have been avoided by allowing a large number of players to copy to test..

I doubt that. Public testing never, ever finds all the bugs.

And from what has been published it seems the main issues was in configuration management (how the patch code was deployed and what was deployed) which is a completely separate area.

^^ this, but that said it sounds like they can't back down now and want to push through, seems crazy working through it and giving customers 8 hours at least of downtime.

I doubt that. Public testing never, ever finds all the bugs.

And from what has been published it seems the main issues was in configuration management (how the patch code was deployed and what was deployed) which is a completely separate area.

That's what QA is for before UAT.

Idk though, it is what it is I guess. I just don't understand their logic.