I want to roll a FOTM. WAIT! Hear me out!

originaltodzilla

Ok, I'm being serious, I want to roll the best FOTM Republic class I can. Now this statement alone will make people mad, but I have my reasons, so hear me out. Also if you don't want to read this long post, just jump to the last few sentences where I sum it all up.

I'm not an MMO player or a PVPer normally. To be honest, the only reason I'm here is because I'm a big Star Wars fan. When I got SWTOR, it was basically for the SW content, nothing else.

My PvE journey was WELL thought out: I wanted to play a Trooper because the Clones, and even those silly Stormtroopers were some of my favorite characters from the movies. Sure Jedi and Sith are cool, but I like being the anti-cool character. So BW sold me on the story of this "elite trooper/commando" that can take on a Sith Lord 1 on 1! I mean you guys saw the same trailer I did!!! Darth Malgus got jacked up by a trooper!!!

So I rolled a Commando and NEVER turned back. I went through the entire story and NEVER HIT THE SPACEBAR once..

Long story short I got to lvl 50 and wanted more to do, so I started to PvP. Now I know I'm a PvP noob, but I put in a lot of time to "L2P". I feel I'm a decent player, not the worst, not the best. However it is apparent, my class just isn't in the same leauge as the other classes. Yes some of you can say "L2P", or "if in really great circumstances" you can win. I know this. I have won, but the averages are against the Commando. Especially in 1.2

I'm not giving up on my main character, but to really compete, I need to take the class out of the equation and that's why I want to roll a FOTM 1.2 class. Remember I said I'm a SW fan, so I'm going to enjoy the story of my character in PvE anyway, but if I'm going to roll an ALT, I want one with the skills to compete.

What's the current FOTM? Help a brother out!! If you just can't bring yourself to support a FOTM, then at least recommend "YOUR" class, and the reasons why it's been so good to you in PvP. Also if there are any Gunnery Commandos out there (post 1.2) that are rocking Imps in their league, please let me know what you are doing.

Already a disagreement LOL!

I actually heard Sages remained relatively "un-nerfed" for 1.2, but then again, that's why I posted this because I want to see "real world" reactions post 1.2.

But I Sentinels are probably pretty strong still.

Sages? Not nerfed? xP

Funniest thing ever.

My alt Sent is rolling almost every class in WZs. Its so fun to see peep dropping like flies. :D

Give it a try!

Nice! I was going to eventually roll a Jedi for the story, but I wasn't sure which type. I'll still hold out a bit, because you know BW will probably roll a patch right after to "right" some things with 1.2.

My alt Sent is rolling almost every class in WZs. Its so fun to see peep dropping like flies. :D

Give it a try!

I would but I'm stuck with a big cannon which should make even a jedi turn into dust. Maybe the tech is too early to deal with Jedi.

Nice! I was going to eventually roll a Jedi for the story, but I wasn't sure which type. I'll still hold out a bit, because you know BW will probably roll a patch right after to "right" some things with 1.2.

It depends on your play style.

I have not mastered the commando, but I am assuming that the testers at BW have balanced the game based on people mastering their classes and being balanced that way.

So the fact that certain classes are owning others should mean they are just easier to play compared to other classes. Should mean that, if they are all balanced.

Also, before you agree that sents/marauders are better like everyone is suggesting consider the beefier brother, the guardian/juggernaut which still does a lot of dmg and brushes a lot of dmg as dps tank.

So for pvp a dps tank is still really good. The problem with a dps tank is that its not a good thing for OPs/raids since they are not pure dps, and they are not tanks either.

Just my input, from what I gathered, and also assuming based on logic as well. For example troopers using Line of sight, distance techniques, crygernade, and high dps should balance out the advantages of a marauder even though line of sight does not come into play, but the force leap should balance it out.

A quick scenario.

A commando throws a gernade, and casts dps ability,

The maruader jumps in, stuns and has the advantge,

Commando uses knock back, and uses the mez dps, full auto

the maruader has 15 secs to close in, and uses wards to reduce dps

the commando knocks back again and uses cyrogernage and casts dps abilties

the maruader jumps in, does dps (edit i mixed an ability for sen with guardian here)

the commando puts thier wards up and does the same dps and rotation but with less time to race against the maruaders dps without cyrogernade to freeze them, and no wards to reduce dmg.

Also the fact that alot of fights may vary on people using wards, heals, stims, adrenals, and getting support from other groups easily throws off the balance.

However, I am having a hard time facing the Maruader atm, but I am still experimenting a better way to approach the situation.

edit: since I made a mistake mixing up the abilities, how do you people study the other classes? Would it not be easier with a dueling arena and fighting specific classes until you mastered them. It would be fun and educational, or possibly a way to test end game lvl 50 characters to get a handons practice with them, and maybe play on warzones with them for fun.

The more and more classes they put into the game, the more difficult it will be distinguish them. The new 1.2 sign above the head helps a lot, but to study a class needs more of a hands on approach, or specific focus with practice that a duel arena/tourny could offer.

Edited by VegaPhone