The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

1.2 and Shield Tech Heat management vs Mitigation

Razuil

I looked through the first couple pages of posts and saw a lot of healer and dps feedback but I did not see this issue brought up. I've only been playing for a few hours with the new talent trees. I have a 49 power tech with the equivalent of green gear. I am on Voss so I'm not facing anything higher than 47.

The adjustments made to armor and the new Heat Screen talent put in have created what I see as a problem. Since the CD on the buff is 15sec and the CD on heat blast is 15 sec I feel like I am forced to choose between DPS, Mitigation and Heat management. My DPS isn't all that high anyways so I am mostly left with mitigation vs heat. I can use flame burst and keep my mitigation stack up which also makes my heat rise much faster or I can let the stack drop and not have the mitigation buff.

I actually used flame burst as a filler when my heat was low and I had everything on CD but now I feel like I need to use it to keep from getting smacked around. I feel like it would be better for the buff to last 16 or 17 seconds rather than 15. While I do like that we have to think more about keeping our mitigation active I don't think it should come at the cost of cutting out a tanking spec's dmg or heat management.

That's alot of feelings in that paragraph but it's what I noticed when I played.

I may figure out a better rotation in the next few hours but I would love some feedback from people about the change. If they noticed a difference and how they coped. If there is a better way to do things I'm all for it.

Thanks guys.

We always had a mechanic that this ties into, our flame burst (and flame sweep) applied a 15 second debuff on enemies. Now, instead of just a debuff, our shield chance is tied into flame bursting. My only real complaint is that flame sweep does not buff us for those AOE situations, but that was probably intentional. As far as single target goes, as long as you don't let the debuff fall off, your shield chance buff won't fall off either.

Hitting flame burst twice, heat burst once, and then flame burst once more ties our debuff (only has one stack) and buff (at four stacks) together nicely, and while leafing us with more heat than just a single flame burst, does not put us into crazy heat management issues.

My question is: Are we going to be able to stack more shield chance without hitting diminishing returns now that we are effectively lowering our static shield chance? I really don't know, but it would be interesting and counterintuitive to allow even more mitigation.

After I logged back in I wasn't getting hit as hard. Maybe I just had a bad string of luck with the rng.

I just had to stop using rocket punch every time the CD reset. I also started using my channeled abilities more strategically and not using every GCD. This seemed to settle the heat issue. I will probably start peppering in the basic attack to utilize all the GCD's. If I figure out a better way I will update the thread. I just feel like I must be doing something wrong with my rotation if I have to pepper in the default attack to keep my resources in check.

I haven't tanked anything yet so we'll see how that goes later.

Look at it this way..

You now have 4% less shield chance passively, BUT you get 4% absorb the moment you get in a fight and use Flame Burst then Heat Blast (with an additional +4% avail if necessary for higher heat overhead).

Now you have 8% shield absorb for the next 15s. It now costs your 1 GCD to get to, but you can Flame Burst/Heat Blast from 10m away so it may be a GCD you would have spent runnin to melee range anyway (assuming charge is on CD).

Edited by Prolyfic

Your spec should be changing as well to maximize efficiency. On the PTS with all the parsing data we had available, PT's were taking the most amount of damage compared to the other two tank specs on the same fights. Not an RNG factor at this point, but because of the changes in talents, I went from DR on shield chance to 45% (coupled with the item changes) so will have to work harder getting the shield chance back up to be competitive.

Currently, Sins are faceroll tanks, with Juggs slightly behind.

Your spec should be changing as well to maximize efficiency. On the PTS with all the parsing data we had available, PT's were taking the most amount of damage compared to the other two tank specs on the same fights. Not an RNG factor at this point, but because of the changes in talents, I went from DR on shield chance to 45% (coupled with the item changes) so will have to work harder getting the shield chance back up to be competitive.

Currently, Sins are faceroll tanks, with Juggs slightly behind.

Woah woah woah, I have yet to hear this. If this is true, we need to start a separate thread and figure out how to best mitigate this fact (spec/rotation/itemization etc.) If you do start a thread, it would be helpful to know what your stats/gear is at as well as the Jug/Sin's gear for comparison.

I wanted to compile the data over the next couple of weeks to provide solid mitigation numbers between the classes, but alas, I am not going to be able to do so. Our tank situation is, let's just say, poor atm with the two main tanks both being PT's now.

I am currently leveling a Sin and may main switch to it (I already have a Guardian on a diff server) and we will see how it does when comparably geared.