The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

3.1k Ranked WZ Comms for some War Hero? And no Ranked WZ's...Wow.

Valant

So nevermind the fact that Bioware implemented 1.2 without Ranked Warzones. But have you checked out the prices for some of this War Hero gear? Some pieces are over 3k....

I just turned in my saved 1k Merc Comms and over 800 WZ comms- and I have about 650 Ranked Warzone comms. Not even close to halfway for some of these pieces of War Hero gear. So basically Bioware has instituted yet another grind while we are sitting here waiting on Ranked WZ's....wow, just wow.

How about NOT failing for a change Bioware, and actually instituting price cuts since we have no way to directly earn Ranked WZ comms right now, and are stuck converting regular WZ comms at 3:1 ratio. You guys honestly think even 'some' of your PvPers are going to stick around and put up with this nonsense? The BM grind was ridiculous as it was - now you want us to do this all over again with the same warzones, with less subs now, with no server mergers, with no ranked warzones. Are you guys even making an attempt to KEEP your PvP population at this point?

I Pre-ordered 2 new upcoming MMO's today which sucks because i though this game would at least last me a year...Wasn't expecting a game to flop faster than Age of Conan...On my Realm Forums its Pages of people saying there goodbyes....So now the Que times are going to be stupidly long so honestly there is really no reason for me to attempt to get war hero gear peace out and gl with this ruined game.

Don't they have normal "War Hero" gear that doesn't require ranked warzone commendations? I thought the ranked wz commendation gear was just a different color with the same stats as the war hero gear you could buy with wz commendations.

That would be the gear that requires "Rating"

at 3475 Ranked comms, and a 3:1 conversion ratio, it's about 30 hours of grinding WZs for JUST THE MAINHAND. 30 hours is conservative, as you don't get back to back queues very often. I love 1.2.

ROFL!!! Wasn't it just yesterday that PvP'ers were whining because there was no sort of PvP progression past Battlemaster? Guess what... here's your goddamn progression. QYB.

I'll be playing TERA sooner than later.

I only played CBT4 so far but from my understanding that game is not about gear grind.

90% skill 10% gear sounds more on par with how PvP should be anyway.

Not this 50% skill 50% gear bullshyyyyt anyway.

It's meant to be so that you don't have full War Hero gear by next week. They are making this game easier and easier and yet people like you are still complaining.

Oh and this game is very much skill, a good player wearing champion gear and beat any player in BM gear if they know what they're doing. Kids just whine cause they go up against a person in full BM with no expertise and get destroyed.

You need a baseline of expertise to compete in PVP and once you have it, your skill takes it from there.

You took the time to grind to BM, what's so bad about doing it again for more than double the expertise!?

BM gear was ridiculous too - 3 BM Comms for main hand = what? 12k warzone comms? Which is something ~ 150 Warzones? I think it's good because you have to actually put in the time for awesome gear.

I do agree however with there not being much PVP going on...sometimes Qs take foreverrrrrrr

Edited by Schriztopher

You took the time to grind to BM, what's so bad about doing it again for more than double the expertise!?

BM gear was ridiculous too - 3 BM Comms for main hand = what? 12k warzone comms? Which is something ~ 150 Warzones? I think it's good because you have to actually put in the time for awesome gear.

I do agree however with there not being much PVP going on...sometimes Qs take foreverrrrrrr

It is my opinion that this what everyone is upset about. Good gear should be obtained by those players with the most skill not the most time to play.

Guys, whats the problem? You're not meant to get War Hero gear like this anyway - rated Warzones will be out in a week or two and those will directly give rated wz comms. If you already had full battlemaster then getting a few extra rated wz comms is just a nice bonus.

• 1 month later...

The grind is much too long, especially this early in the life of a game.

Some people grind like nuts and get everything and then tell the devs they're angry at the lack of anything to do. Others find the amount of time needed to get anything too great, and decide they won't put up with the rat race anymore and quit.

I played LOTRO from launch until very recently. As the grind increased, some people started saying it was too much. It didn't start that way though. In the early stages most people, to my surprise (seemed like shooting themselves in the foot... or the face: P ) argued that it was "fine", and in favor of the grind, even welcoming more of it. /shakeshead

Eventually though more and more people reached their annoyance/breaking point.

It gets to a point that the majority of the players agree that's it's excessive, and will fuel each others discontent about the amount of grind, and though people have been foreboding doom and gloom, and mass quitting of the game for some time.... finally, when other games present themselves to fill the void, people do indeed start leaving in droves.

There is in reality a breaking point.

THE BOTTOM LINE: SWTOR has created a clearly excessive grind. The pattern with MMOs is to slowly increase the grind and difficulty over time. LOTRO killed itself by ignoring the players who were saying it was becoming intolerable. BUT that was in the game's 4th-5th year. SWTOR is approaching those levels in it's first few months! There's no room to increase the grind except to make it absolutely unendurable. It's already driving people away.

Ultimately, game developers need to come up with a new model - one that has re-playability, and keeps people's interest over extended periods, but isn't based on heaps of drudge work for items and tiny increments of advancement. That entire model is increasingly unpalatable to their players. Keep in mind - it's the same people who got sick of grinding in their last MMO that are coming to play the new MMOs at this point. We're already sick of it before we start. They don't have the same leeway of early MMOs.

For SWTOR to get back on track, they need to seriously reduce the amount of time required to get current top tier gear. The same is true of the top tier crafting. And they need to get some creative people working on developing new models that retain our interest, but which we aren't already fed up with.

It is my opinion that this what everyone is upset about. Good gear should be obtained by those players with the most skill not the most time to play.

But what dictates actual skill? Pushing buttons in sequence isn't skill. Rolling up an OP combo group (ie WOW arena teams) isn't skill. This is just another whine post by someone that wants to have the gear over everyone else so that they can have the recurring notion that their pixels are better than others. Get over yourself.

They're not hard to get but the daft round about way they implemented it makes it seem a lot worse than it is. Whoever thought gathering one type of commendation only to have to trade it in for a third of the amount then rinse and repeat doing that until you have enough for the item was a good idea needs their head examined.

Welcome to the world of 99.9% of all mmo's and mmorpg's. By the way how do you rate skill when not just gear can turn the tide but the char you play. Only way to be sure would be that all play same char, same skills, same weapons and same gear.

Edited by Badlander

I agree - it's ugly to walk around thinking you're better than others, and wanting to have advantages over other people. E-peen.

Do our best. Play as well as we can. Anyhow it's way more important (and way harder) than skill with your character in a game, to try to have good sportsmanship; respect, etc... But no matter how good we think we are... we're really all noobs.

MMOs make the mistake not only of driving their players away with excessive grinds, but also with this notion that the difficulty needs to keep going up. I've seen it happen in other games. There IS a breaking point.

The challenge for developers is to keep coming up with interesting, new, intriguing mechanics of the fight. Things that feel fresh, and are enjoyable. Giving the mobs bombs that destroy you if you make the tinniest mistake, or half a billion health so it takes forever to win, is the lazy way out, and spoils a game too.

The hardcore elitists out there love to brag when they beat something very hard before other people... What can ya say.

Edited by myrrhbear