The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

1.2 AP PVP cylinder?

jorgehyde

i see threads with people talking about using ion and/or high energy... i am personally leaning towards ion because i like the utility/survivability and how the talent points work out by not taking the hegc specific talents.

what is the general concensus? or is there one? opinions at least?

Before switching to Pyro early on, I ran 10/31/0 Spec PvP, and i advocated it because you get far better survivability with Stabilized armor in PvP then in Shield Tech.

You can be a very beefy Tank/DPS as a AP (I've actually tanked EV as AP before with ion going) so it's not a huge difference between the two.

You just have to manage your heat slightly more as an Ion Based AP.

PvP wise you'll see that it is extremely beefy for a DPS.. and you can't really go wrong with either one.

I also did an AP and shield hybrid just giving me a slight customization to synergize with shielding/rocket punching, for the purposes of flashpoint tanking, on my vanguard. It's really great. I think since the class design is so well rounded, you can do fine using the tank cylinder with just a little less damage because of heat management. It's compensated by using the key skills that synergize in the spec, especially stacking the free rocket punch and then the free ability cooldown and 1 or 2 base shots. It's a more creative way to play with ION, in my opinion. The bonus for a pve minded spec is you're free to hop into the HE and go to town with awesome heat dissipation, if you're not tanking at that moment. This also could be really useful for pvp (attacking vs defense where applicable, for example!)

It's really cool to have such a well rounded set of options. Speccing one thing doesn't cripple you in the things you aren't specced.

General concensus?

You can tank any HM 4 man, any Normal OP and any HM OP in any spec, in tank gear in ion cyl. I even tank HM 4man, Normal OP's in DPS gear.

For NMM I've only been OT, so like the 2 dudes in KP and the trash compactor. Always in DPS spec (pyro or AP) and in tank gear/ion cyl.

This game is very forgiving to tanks.

I would not recommend MT'ing in DPS spec, not enough Tanky CD's IMO, for NMM I mean and certain fights in HM OP (The beast dude in KP having to eat those 20 punches without a CD is bad).

I'm running the 8/31/2 build (no RS) and I run High Energy for the most part, while using Ion occasionally. I tried AP a few times before, but always with RS builds. I am enjoying it a ton more with the no RS build.

The occasions when I normally swap to Ion are:

In Huttball, when my team is on offense, so that I can guard swap or ball carry.

In Voidstar, when we are on defense for the initial push.

In Civil War, when I am respawning over and over to hold a side node.