Sgt Stone's Gutter Vanguard Talent Spec

ProwlerBCO

Hello folks,

I've been playing around with this spec (23/11/7) for a few days. So far all I've seen is amazing dps, survivability and insane pvp effectiveness (storm + harpoon = amazing pvp control)

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801GMMrboroMZMsbMoZbcb.1

Also, I focused on having a good mix of crit, surge and defense, leaving shield and absorb aside since the return on these latter two skills is irrelevant with ion cell turned on and good damage output (for both pvp and pve soloing).

I've even done a few FPs as the main tank, with no trouble at all.

Has anyone tried this spec, or something similar, with any suggestions to improve it?

Cheers!

For Rated I am a similar 23/12/6.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801GRG0bRboMZMsbrZbco.1

Few things even with the changes with gut adding a snare I dont see it being worth wasting even a global cooldown to use it. Also the 3 sec immobilize to harpon (for huttball alone) is worth it. And lastly points in rebraced armor unless to fill are not worth it.

I have been this spec for over a month and have tried both the pyrotech and parakeet builds and the utility I bring to a warzone is just to great. My stockstrikes hit harder than high impact bolt with my highest SS crit being 4500.

Edit: And opps also the reduced cooldown with interupt means I can harass a healer while my teammates kill everyone else.

Edited by niela

Both of these are just variations on Taugrim's Ironfist. Not that they're not valid, just pointing it out because there is a lot of information on playstyle and which talents to chose over what and what the tradeoff is in the sticky about it here on the Vanguard Forum. Check it out

Both of these are just variations on Taugrim's Ironfist. Not that they're not valid, just pointing it out because there is a lot of information on playstyle and which talents to chose over what and what the tradeoff is in the sticky about it here on the Vanguard Forum. Check it out

The OP is nothing at all like Taugrims build, unless you think everyone using all three trees are the same lol.

Look at where he spent his talent points, they are ZERO alike.

The OP is nothing at all like Taugrims build, unless you think everyone using all three trees are the same lol.

^This. People seem to think High Shield + Some Tactics + Assault = IF....

As far as the build goes, it looks to be a bit more "DPS Tank" rather than a "Control Tank" which for some people works out better.

The only thing I see which seems odd is there wasn't a snare talent taken. Albeit Ion's snare doesn't last long, it's better than nothing.

Edited by exphryl

Hello folks,

I've been playing around with this spec (23/11/7) for a few days. So far all I've seen is amazing dps, survivability and insane pvp effectiveness (storm + harpoon = amazing pvp control)

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801GMMrboroMZMsbMoZbcb.1

Also, I focused on having a good mix of crit, surge and defense, leaving shield and absorb aside since the return on these latter two skills is irrelevant with ion cell turned on and good damage output (for both pvp and pve soloing).

I've even done a few FPs as the main tank, with no trouble at all.

Has anyone tried this spec, or something similar, with any suggestions to improve it?

Cheers!

I am curious on your ammo regen with both Shield Cycler and Parallactic stims (looks like it might be pretty good). When I ran with the IF ammo at times would be a difficulty. I ended up favoring the CP build over it for Pvp (Dmg potential, free HIB, etc).

I am not trying to be critical, but I am not certain where the added dps on the spec would be derived from in the build. Leaving out the 9% Aim increase from Steely Resolve will hurt your dps. In the end, the dps in the spec might be below a 31 Shield Spec (1.2 with energy blast off the gcd).

As a poster mentioned, I'd recommend investing in one of the available snares (other than Gut, personally I feel the ammo cost is not worth it given the dmg).

The 10 second decrease on harpoon is really up to the user. It is very situational for me, I generally never find myself waiting on its cd so I tend to avoid tactical tools.

In the end you really have to play the way you enjoy. I had fun with the IF build (similar, but definitely not the same as your build). I think the ammo regen chance in your spec would allow you to fire off your abilities at a better rate than the traditional IF.

But, with regard to the IF, I found the Parakeet gave me the same utility with better damage. Unfortunately that build is gone, I'm left deciding between a 31 Shield spec or biting the Assault Spec bullet and saying good-bye to guarding and storm.

Edited by AzumaVicious

Nope, some of the talents are spent differently, but the mechanics are the same. Get Storm from the shield tree, both the flat mitigation talents for more beefiness, then get talents from the other two trees to boost Stockstrike damage. This build is the same concept, with some variance on what fillers you take... Its not about the exact talents you take, Taugrim has changed his around several times, the concept of the build is the same just with personal preferences changing things up a bit. Yes I looked at the spec, basically the OP gives up the utility of Defensive Measures, Neural Overload, and Frontline Defense and flat damage increases in Steely Resolve and Frontline Offense for some for some conditional survivabiltity in Rebraced Armor and Ceramic Plating (armor and shields arguable benefit in PVP, though the CD reduction is pretty nice) and some increased Endurance and some ammo regen when you're stunned. Again no right or wrong way to do anything, just different people want different things for their playstyle.

Different flavoring to how it accomplishes it, but the playstyle and rotation/priority of attacks are identical. That's why I said VARIATIONS on Ironfist and also pointed them to the Ironfist thread because there are lots of discussions on those types of variations to the build and what people have tested and what they felt their results were. For me and most people I talk to, Ironfist is not the exact talents Taugrim takes, but the playstyle of that type of hybrid (Shield Spec up to Storm, not high enough in Assault Spec for Parakeet) I didn't say "hey you're running the Ironfist wrong n00b", I said you guys are getting in the same general area as IF and if you look at the very long thread you'll see where a lot of people have discussed a similar build and why to take or not take the talents here over the other variations on the spec out there.

Edited by Yamirashi

I am curious on your ammo regen with both Shield Cycler and Parallactic stims (looks like it might be pretty good). When I ran with the IF ammo at times would be a difficulty. I ended up favoring the CP build over it for Pvp (Dmg potential, free HIB, etc).

I am not trying to be critical, but I am not certain where the added dps on the spec would be derived from in the build. Leaving out the 9% Aim increase from Steely Resolve will hurt your dps. In the end, the dps in the spec might be below a 31 Shield Spec (1.2 with energy blast off the gcd).

As a poster mentioned, I'd recommend investing in one of the available snares (other than Gut, personally I feel the ammo cost is not worth it given the dmg).

The 10 second decrease on harpoon is really up to the user. It is very situational for me, I generally never find myself waiting on its cd so I tend to avoid tactical tools.

In the end you really have to play the way you enjoy. I had fun with the IF build (similar, but definitely not the same as your build). I think the ammo regen chance in your spec would allow you to fire off your abilities at a better rate than the traditional IF.

But, with regard to the IF, I found the Parakeet gave me the same utility with better damage. Unfortunately that build is gone, I'm left deciding between a 31 Shield spec or biting the Assault Spec bullet and saying good-bye to guarding and storm.

To answer your questions :

#1 : The ammo regen is awesome for both pve and pvp : you're always getting ammo from either knockback, stunn or from shield rating.

#2 : The added DPS comes from having constant DPS due to full ammo, rather than quick burst.

#3 : The change to free Energy Blast is indeed something I have to check out, since this spec was pre 1.2. Apparently the animation is much faster too, so that could really up the ante for shield spec.

Cheers,

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.