Acceptable spec, build, and rotation for a pvp assassin

Frostwyrm

As it is currently, going from an un-geared lvl 50 to playing against geared lvl 50s is like being a lvl 10 fighting a lvl 40 in open world pvp. The chasm between the two is truly absurd. I didn’t get it either until I hit 50 with a toon. I had PvP’ed 95% of the way up slow boating it. Going into a warzone, even sporting Rakata gear, I was completely ineffective. It became so bad most of the other team started to ignore me and that stung most of all since I had gotten used to consistently dishing out the top, or nearly the top, damage sub 50.

Thankfully 1.2 will close that gap some.

Id recommend playing all of the builds at least a little so you know how they are played and can counter it with whatever you choose. When im darkness (tank) I completely stomp most deception (dps) sins and when Im deception I can counter a darkness sin.

99 percent of the time im 31/0/10 Darkness (im the premade ball carry and support).

This spec really gives you the best of everything.

Huttball - you can put your full tank on and carry the ball if needed and can defend very well with good fire pulls. If you dont need to carry just put on your dps set and you are good to go as well.

Civil War - I always wear full dps gear on this map and go to the right side turret at start. If they send 1 average player I have the node no problem. If its 1 decent player I can still usually take it without too much trouble. Even if it is 2v1 I can sometimes win or call for my healer to drop from mid and we take node. If they send 4-5 you just stealth sap them all while your team gets the other nodes and can support you.

Voidstar - Usually full dps gear (always for attack) but the spec also lets you go full tank and guard your healer while defending if they have a good team. I have held off 6 people with my healer while in full tank gear against some of the best republic on our server.

As for damage, yeah im usually not going to blow through a healer if they are good but I can put pressure on them while also AOE damaging their team. You will do more sustained damage but dont let people full you into thinking there is no burst. Get 2 stacks harnessed darkness with an energize proc then pop your recklessness (sorry I dont know repub terms.) Highest ive seen this do was a 4500 shock followed by 2200 force lightning tics and then 4800 assassinate. That is 18k damage in 6 seconds (just enough time to whirlwind a healer and kill his buddy). Granted you wont see this all the time as this person wasnt full gear but you can expect 3-4k shocks and 1500-2000 force lightning ticks on non tanks.

As for utility you have tons. You can guard your healers, taunt enemies to reduce damage, peel enemies off your healers with your pull, and most importantly survive long enough to be a part of the fight.

But as I said in the beginning I would try all three trees and see what works for you.