Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Crafting multiple items at once?

Tenora

If you closed the crafting window after starting an item, you can open the window back up (default N) and just click on the corresponding crafting skill to open up the crafting list again.

The queue is limited to 5 items, but they can be different items.

The developers made this crafting system (with your companions doing the crafting) so you don't have to stand around crafting. Let's see how that works out ....

I had an alt do my material gathering, and I now have enough mats to finish my first crafting tier. That's 200 items, at 1 minute apiece: 3 hours, 20 minutes of crafting.

BUT I can only queue up 5 minutes of crafting at a time. So I have to assign 5 items, wait 5 minutes, 40 times.

So, yeah, this is the worst crafting experience I can imagine in an MMO. Now, if I was crafting as I gathered components, I could spread those 5 minute increments out as I adventured. Which would leave me companionless most of the time, because I have just one companion at this early juncture.

So I can, say, read a book in 5 minute chunks while I craft, or I can adventure at a severe disadvantage, if I do my own gathering. Both are lousy choices.

This needs a serious rethink. Please allow us to queue more than 5 items at a time. I don't mind the total crafting time -- it adds some welcome verisimilitude to MMO crafting. But babysitting my companion for 3 and a half hours is absurd.

Remember, you do eventually get more than just your first companion. You can go about your business and quest/flashpoint/spacecombat/etc while the companions idle on your ship go out and do stuff for you. Queue up 5 crafting skills (or a mission) with each companion not currently with you and go do a few quests. They'll finish up their tasks in their own time and then you can do it again! I like the system as is; I currently have artifice at 260, archaeology at 250, and treasure hunting at 245 from doing just as I've said above.

Edit: To reiderate, you keep 1 companion next to you at all times to assist with questing and combat while the the OTHERS carry out crafting duties.

Edited by Natarii

Yeah, I understand what you're saying, which is why I pointed out in my post above that I have only one companion. Now, mine is not a unique situation. There are enough mats on your home planet that, with just a bit of effort, you can finish the first crafting tier. And you will, like me, have just one companion.

So your method, which requires multiple companions, is simply unavailable in this all too common situation. Instead, you must choose to go without a companion, or babysit your companion for hours.

The second companion comes around lvl 16 when you get your ship. I dont really see this as a huge issue, personally. Just send him away to craft while you're turning in quests, training new level skills, etc. Otherwise, just gather from world nodes while questing and stockpile your materials until your second companion comes along to be your workhorse. Seeing as you cant even use a crew skill until level 10, level 16 really is not that far off.

You can also do what I do, and just set your companion to create items when you log off. It is slower than keeping him constantly gone, but you won't be inconvenienced by not having a companion available for battle.

I switch between my characters (I have one of each class) so, this means I get lots of crafting done in those intervals.

True, waiting for the second companion is another way to go. Though I do think that delaying your start of crafting until level 16 is a bit, well, not preferred. And level 16 may be a bit early, from my experience. Getting to the fleet, doing a few PvP missions, then doing all the missions on the homeworld as they come up - I've always been past 16 when i got my ship.

I'd also like to note that I made an incorrect assumption, apparently. I assumed that the 400 possible crafting points displayed on my panel was for the first tier. But crafting with level 1 mats stopped adding points at 60 - so now it seems that 400 is the total possible crafting points. So in fact there are only 12 5-minute intervals for me to max tier 1. This is much less of a burden to get done.

By the time you can get more crafting points, you need level 2 mats, so you'll have a second companion, unless you get all your mats from an alt or the GTN.

I am surprised how few mats it takes to max tier 1, and, by extension, max completely. I have enough scavenged mats, apparently to get not only my Cybertech through tier 1, but an Armstech and Armormech too, with mats left over. That's the cheapest crafting advancement I've seen in an MMO.

In light of this, I think what the developers have said about crafting being less of a grind is demonstrably true (the 12 5-minute increments with 1 companion notwithstanding). So I guess the focus with crafting is getting good schematics, which is a lot more engaging than gathering mats, whether on a crew mission, or while adventuring.

You made another incorrect assumption, you can get more than 1 point per item crafted. You get 1 point for every item with a yellow dot, 2 for each with an orange dot, 1 about half the time for green, and none for grey. If you did all the way to 60 on yellow or green items, then I feel sorry for you. I got my crafting to 60 in 45 minutes or so while I was running around in cities finding/turning in quests, managing items and skills, etc. Once you get a second companion, then you can really start bringing in the points since you can always have one with you and several off doing stuff for you. I love the crafting system in TOR and wish more games did something like it.

I also like that you can essentially just buy gathering skills and crafting materials by having your companions go on gathering and crew missions for you.

Edited by DRayX

I am surprised how few mats it takes to max tier 1, and, by extension, max completely. I have enough scavenged mats, apparently to get not only my Cybertech through tier 1, but an Armstech and Armormech too, with mats left over. That's the cheapest crafting advancement I've seen in an MMO.

I thought this at first as well, but then realised if you grind out the blue and purple schematics you'll need all the mats on a single character.

I've had some really bad runs on my toons. I've stopped worrying about the purples atm after going on a run of around 30ish blue synthweaving reverse engineers without getting the purple. I had one companion making belts and another making gloves while I did some space combat. This is after going through around 10 or so blue chests a couple levels earlier without a purple either. Being in the high teens I had to stop myself and realise it's not worth it at that level anyway, the stat/surviveability increase is tiny atm.

At least it leveled me up ready to make the lvl 21+ items when I get there :p Burnt a fair amount of credits getting hold of all the blue mats, but again it levelled me for grade 2s so not all bad.

I thought this at first as well, but then realised if you grind out the blue and purple schematics you'll need all the mats on a single character.

I've had some really bad runs on my toons. I've stopped worrying about the purples atm after going on a run of around 30ish blue synthweaving reverse engineers without getting the purple. I had one companion making belts and another making gloves while I did some space combat. This is after going through around 10 or so blue chests a couple levels earlier without a purple either. Being in the high teens I had to stop myself and realise it's not worth it at that level anyway, the stat/surviveability increase is tiny atm.

At least it leveled me up ready to make the lvl 21+ items when I get there :p Burnt a fair amount of credits getting hold of all the blue mats, but again it levelled me for grade 2s so not all bad.

Yes, while leveling it's generally best to not work too hard to get blues and purple recipes. If you get them, it's a bonus, but generally I don't make a major effort to get them. Basically when I get access to new recipes, I craft the ones I want to use, then I pick a recipe I would like to maybe get a blue or exception result from, and I use that to level up to the next skill bracket. If I happen to RE a blue or purple or get a crit, it's nice, but I don't waste effort on it otherwise. You level too quickly in general for it to be worth the effort. Especially since the blue and purple results are semi random. I've gotten a couple purple recipes on my synthweaver, both heavy armor, which is generally for my companion Khem Val, both the purples ended up with +presence, which is useless on a companion, and not worth much on a player.

I already have issues with this crafting – even though overall it seems ok.

I have some good items I can make at the 1st tier – but after making a few of them you get bumped to another Mission level and sadly the items needed are not available anymore. So if you get a blue item recipe using level 1 Mission items – it is now worthless unless you make an alt and keep dropping and restarting the Mission class in an attempt to gather the rare level 1 items needed for the good recipes.

The word was that some of the vendors would spawn a few of the rare items needed but I have not seen one do it yet – just the same, normal, Vendor Stuff.

It would be nice if could keep the early level quests - even if they do not give a tic to the proff class you could still make that cool rare recipe you gathered.

For scavenging I just did Esseles (equivalent to Black Talon) and farmed the droids you get to kill, the flashpoint is easily soloable at lvl20 (I resisted pretty much all attacks), just can't get the bonus mission droid to come out and play while alone. For the other gathering-professions I'm sure there are other equivalent resources out in the world ready to be plundered (I've seen lots of crystal formations around for example) If you do missions with your companion while exploring you should gain points quite fast.

edit: I might have responded to the wrong topic here...I'll just let it be anyway.

Edited by Nizzemancer

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.