Commando blaster rifles?

Elvandar

I'm currently in the process of leveling a commando healer. I have no desire to play this character as DPS, ever. My question is are blaster rifles viable if you're just going to be healing?

Don't get me wrong, I love big guns, but when I see a Vangard I can't help but feel a little jealous of their classic stormtrooper look. My understanding is certain commando damage abilities require an assault cannon, although as a healer the only damage ability I will really use is hammer shot. Am I right in thinking this, or is there something I'm missing that would put me at a disadvantage healing with a rifle?

I'm currently in the process of leveling a commando healer. I have no desire to play this character as DPS, ever. My question is are blaster rifles viable if you're just going to be healing?

Don't get me wrong, I love big guns, but when I see a Vangard I can't help but feel a little jealous of their classic stormtrooper look. My understanding is certain commando damage abilities require an assault cannon, although as a healer the only damage ability I will really use is hammer shot. Am I right in thinking this, or is there something I'm missing that would put me at a disadvantage healing with a rifle?

You could get away with a rifle if you were doing nothing but healing but some fights in the game require you to dps as well, even as a healer so you would be at a disadvantage during those. Take the infernal council fight in the Eternity Vault for example, everyone in the raid has to 1v1 their own boss so during this fight you would be at a disadvantage if you chose a blaster rifle over an assault cannon(especially because you wouldn't be able to use charged bolts).

True. I would of course be keeping an assault cannon on me for those odd times like that where I am required to do a significant amount of fighting. :)

Thanks for the heads up.

Edited by Elvandar

True. I would of course be keeping an assault cannon on me for those odd times like that where I am required to do a significant amount of fighting. :)

Thanks for the heads up.

Np, yeah other than those fights you should be perfectly fine. I would just have 1 of each if you truely want to use a rifle.