RAMDISK for SWTOR (increased performance)

Ocmer_

I have 12GB of RAM so I can add more files manually using the Unleashed program. I see all the planets are listed twice...once as "swtormain_area" and then as "swtoren-us_area". I can add all the worlds but it has to be either one or the other category. Can someone please tell me if i should add the "swtormain_area" files or the "swtoren-us_area". I am on an english EU server if that is relevant. Thanks!

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SWTOR UNLEASHED 3.0

http://www.filedropper.com/swtorunleashedv30

Changelog :

- fixed the need for speed issue hopefully

- New UI with amazing works from my friends Tilz and Ugleez.

- full code cleaning and rework for the UI

- fixed the drive letter choosing which was not fully working since MVVM

I hope you will all love it. I put a lot of work into this those last 7 days (60 hours or so since I was new to quite a lot of stuff regarding UI).

Edited by exca

When I use this it crashes. I hit the SwtorUnleashed button. Login and then hit play. Then the game crashes. Any Ideas?

Update: I un checked the Add DiskCacheArena (1GB) and it works now.

Edited by Calcifur

As said in the instructions, you can turn on the log "on" in the swtorunleashed.xml file so we may help you.

Are you using v3.0?

How much ram do you have? Don't' forget that you need to leave enough ram for the game itself!

The new 3.0 worked great for me. It's a little goofy if you position the first window low on the screen and then open the settings. Because the main window does not allow you to move it and you have to click/drag on the settings windows to reposition.

Yeah I know, but it's a little goofy to position it on the lower end before opening settings or about ;)

Also you can press escape to close any opened window.

For those just wishing to give the tool a look here we go :

launcher screen : http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/715315swtorunleashed3launcher.png

about screen : http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/781162swtorunleashed3about.png

settings screen : http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/516538swtorunleashed3settings.png

Edited by exca

I got banned for using this "fix". ***?

Dear Customer,

We are contacting you regarding your account for Star Wars: The Old Republic.

We wish to notify you that you have carried out a serious violation of our Terms of Service and upon a full investigation of your account we have determined that your character has carried out the following violation:

You may not use any of your own software or third-party software to modify the Service content to change game play.

Due to the severity of this Terms of Service violation, we have suspended your account effective immediately for one week (168 hours). Please be aware that further breaches of our terms will amount to further action on your account up to, and including, account closure.

Should you wish to review our Terms of Service they can be found here:

http://tos.ea.com/legalapp/WEBTERMS/US/en/PC/

If you feel that this action has been applied in error, please contact us at swtoraccountdisputes@bioware.com.

Yours sincerely,

Star Wars: The Old Republic Terms of Service

I guess not since this software does not modify the gameplay and doesn't run while the game runs either.

Also, there are a lot of people using it, the batch or the manual method, how could you be banned for this? It would be like saying : "you installed the game on an SSD drive, it's unfair => ban" or "you GPU is too fast => ban" That's a non sense.

Do you really think we would be stupid enough to post anything on the official boards that may get us banned or something? Could you ask for a clarification about your ban please so that you can know why you got banned?

Regards,

I got banned for using this "fix". ***?

This is total bull, then even real-time desktop parsers would be illegal but it is not and they actually confirmed it yesterday in another thread that it is not in their policy. Also on top of what Exca just said, even support yellow posts have been linking (as a solution suggestion!) to the old original thread back in January and February, so they absolutely know about us and I have yet to receive a single PM or post from support stopping me.

Also I've read the Terms and policies and EULA and in no way they say we can't move game files around, unless you modify to gain an unfair advantage which is a violation.

Sorry troll failed.

Edited by Ocmer_

I've got an official answer from Bioware :

Thank you for contacting us regarding your complaint (ticket number 5232735).

We have now completed our investigation into your inquiry. Please be reminded that we cannot discuss actioned against other player's accounts. However, we can confirm that the provided software is not against our Terms of Service.

Thank you for your diligence in bringing this matter to our attention. As a valued customer, your feedback is very important to us.

Yours sincerely,

Nicole

Star Wars: The Old Republic Terms of Service

Edited by exca

May you please elaborate on how can I install DX9? I've googled high and low and none gives a definitive near answer. DX9 cannot install since I already have DX11. Thanks.

:edit:

Just found full DX9 package, ty.

Edited by Imani-Hype

Kudos for all the effort that went into this.

Question: Is this supposed to help at all with the long load times on planets like Correlia?

I ask because I tried the program out today, everything worked, but I compared the load times to before and after setting up and using the program, and in both cases it took me 70 seconds from hitting "Play", selecting my character, to finishing loading Correlia.

I tried a few times selecting various assets with no change.

Should I be seeing an improvement? Did I do something wrong?

Kudos for all the effort that went into this.

Question: Is this supposed to help at all with the long load times on planets like Correlia?

I ask because I tried the program out today, everything worked, but I compared the load times to before and after setting up and using the program, and in both cases it took me 70 seconds from hitting "Play", selecting my character, to finishing loading Correlia.

I tried a few times selecting various assets with no change.

Should I be seeing an improvement? Did I do something wrong?

I know the inital topic is a bit long. but it explains it all. The improvement will be with be the ability for your system to keep high FPS even when a lot of people are standing or fighting near you. Without it if you fell from 80fps alone to 10fps with 30 people fighting around.... with unleashed you might be able to get 40fps in this situation.

Also interface reload is faster (CTRL+U twice).

If you want faster loading times, you must select the planets assets and put them in ram, but each one of them is quite big.

Guys, I would have a suggestion - what do you think to add in Settings menu more pre-selected options choosing relevant files to particular area - e.g. Corellia, Denova etc?

Your program works like a dream now - sometimes I have game hitching when I get aggro from mobs in operations but I do not know if it is related in any way.

Thanks!

Bogy

PS. since I could not find how to rate positively this thread, I started my own :)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=444027

Happy players, go and bump this post!

Edited by BogyOne

We just had another BioWare agreement directly on the french SWTOR Unleashed thread by FrancoisHardy (French Community Coordinator)

Message jaune :

SWTOR Unleashed ne constitue pas une infraction à nos Conditions d'utilisation où la CALUF, son usage est donc par conséquent autorisé.

Cependant, s'agissant là d'une procédure technique de modification de la configuration du jeu, nous ne saurions la recommander, yadda yadda utilisateurs expérimentés yadda yadda vos propres risques.

Voilà. :)

François Hardy | French Community Coordinator

Guys, I would have a suggestion - what do you think to add in Settings menu more pre-selected options choosing relevant files to particular area - e.g. Corellia, Denova etc?

Your program works like a dream now - sometimes I have game hitching when I get aggro from mobs in operations but I do not know if it is related in any way.

Thanks!

Bogy

PS. since I could not find how to rate positively this thread, I started my own :)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=444027

Happy players, go and bump this post!

The only way I can think of doing this would be to run Procmon and see which assests are getting interacted with.

SWTOR Unleashed is a pretty cool way to quickly get around the patch day nonsense that you normally encounter while maintaining a RAMDisk for the game.

One question I have about it though...

It copies all of the files onto the RAMDisk it creates except for the DiskCacheArena. I can't for the life of me get it to properly put this file on the RAMDisk.

It creates a Symbolic Link to the DiskCacheArena and then it simply erases the original file instead of moving it to the RAMDisk like it should. So I end up with a RAMDisk that is 3/4 full and a DiskCacheArena symlink that leads to FILE NOT FOUND.

I went back to manually using IMDisk with a backup image until I can get this figured out.

SWTOR Unleashed is a pretty cool way to quickly get around the patch day nonsense that you normally encounter while maintaining a RAMDisk for the game.

One question I have about it though...

It copies all of the files onto the RAMDisk it creates except for the DiskCacheArena. I can't for the life of me get it to properly put this file on the RAMDisk.

It creates a Symbolic Link to the DiskCacheArena and then it simply erases the original file instead of moving it to the RAMDisk like it should. So I end up with a RAMDisk that is 3/4 full and a DiskCacheArena symlink that leads to FILE NOT FOUND.

I went back to manually using IMDisk with a backup image until I can get this figured out.

The game will internally wipe or clean out DiskCacheArena and will recreate it if it is missing. Hench we take this opportunity to just delete this file (both during setup and removal) and the game will recreate it. If it is linked to the ramdisk it will recreate the file there, else it will recreate the file on the normal position.

We have tested it and there is absolutely no advantage or disadvantage over keeping the DiskCacheArena as it seems it will be rebuild at loading after character selection, loading with the needed files of where the character is at that point.

Also keep in mind if you add local cache, most of the time these are 0kB in size, only during loading sequences these are used. Also these files are hard deleted and recreated by the game thus we had to move the whole local folder to the ramdisk, as it would delete the "links" and recreate the files on the normal place.

Edited by Ocmer_