RAMDISK for SWTOR (increased performance)

Ocmer_

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a WPF developer I noticed a problem with the way SWTOR Unleashed creates the secondary dialog when you press the Settings button.

If you want the Settings window to act as a dialog, you need to set its owner property to the main window, and you should set ShowInTaskbar to false. This prevents focus issues.

So in essence the code to launch the window would be:

SettingsWindow settings = new SettingsWindow();

settings.Owner = this; // 'this' being the Main Window

settings.ShowInTaskbar = false;

settings.ShowDialog();

PM me if you need any help.

well you guys seem like programming wizards,so ill pose as question to you guys

i have my cyberpower gua250 computer,recently upgraded the graphics with an amd radeon hd 6850....

i have a 12 mbps connection

3.6 ghz,8 gb ram,1 tb hardrive...

yet im having absolutely no problems whatsoever,lag wise or otherwise,and i can play swtor on this comp,and another game on another one of my computers,or swtor on this comp and then stream a high definition movie on amazon

youd think that id atleast have some trouble...any explanation for the luckyness?

i also almost forgot to mention i run swtor on maximum settings and get 60 fps

Edited by Baphomet_x

As a WPF developer I noticed a problem with the way SWTOR Unleashed creates the secondary dialog when you press the Settings button.

If you want the Settings window to act as a dialog, you need to set its owner property to the main window, and you should set ShowInTaskbar to false. This prevents focus issues.

So in essence the code to launch the window would be:

SettingsWindow settings = new SettingsWindow();

settings.Owner = this; // 'this' being the Main Window

settings.ShowInTaskbar = false;

settings.ShowDialog();

PM me if you need any help.

I had noticed the Settings window doesn't always re-focus properly.

Edited by BellaEva

1- Changelog is available in english in the french thread.

2- Thanks I'll try your WPF fix in 3.2.

3- Also, I'll remind you that if you have a very good computer like in this last comment... you will not gain higher FPS. Instead, you will only gain less FPS drops (meaning higher FPS when FPS drops ... in pvp or crowded areas).

So even though I am the administrator on my computer it keeps telling me I do not have sufficient privelages to make changes to the ramdisk drive after I create it so I can go no further with the process. Is there something I am missing or doing wrong while creating the ramdisk?

So even though I am the administrator on my computer it keeps telling me I do not have sufficient privelages to make changes to the ramdisk drive after I create it so I can go no further with the process. Is there something I am missing or doing wrong while creating the ramdisk?

2 options:

1- right clic and start as administrator

or

2- disable Windows UAC and try again

• 2 weeks later...

Important update!

SWTOR Unleashed 3.2

http://www.metasharp.net/swtor/SwtorUnleashed_v3.2.zip

Version 3.2.0 ; 2012-07-29

• [iNFO] BioWare changed the way the game manages some of its files in 1.3, so if you were using Swtor Unleashed you should : "Remove and Quit", start the real launcher.exe of the game, connect a character, disconnect, then you can start using Swtor Unleashed 3.2 again.
  • [FIX] removed the additionnal taskbar icons when the settings or about windows were open (thanks Moozhe)
  • [FIX] Start Retail works again

Edited by exca

• 2 weeks later...
If I have to restart the game for what ever reason, do I have to restart the ramdisk as well? So if I exit the game, can I start it again from the "retail" executable or do I have to use "SWTOR remove" + "Swtor Unleshed" every time I restart the game? Hope this makes sense. Thanks!

If I have to restart the game for what ever reason, do I have to restart the ramdisk as well? So if I exit the game, can I start it again from the "retail" executable or do I have to use "SWTOR remove" + "Swtor Unleshed" every time I restart the game? Hope this makes sense. Thanks!

No, you dont have to restart the ram disk. If you notice, the ramdisk is still present if you exit the game. You can simple launch the game using the normal SWTOR shortcut, you do not have to launch the Unleashed program again.

I haven't read the entire thread but here's info for setting up a ramdisk for Windows XP 32bit, using the information in this thread and taking advantage of PAE to make use of RAM over the normal 3GB address limitation(haven't tested it with more than 4GB).

Rramdisk is used for setting up the ramdisk. There's a registry setting included with the download(ram4g.reg) that enables it to use physical address extensions, thereby making memory over 3GB available(there's a couple of download links in this article).

Junction is used for setting up the symbolic links.

The low disk space warning is removed by adding a registry entry.

In the game path, rename the swtor folder to swtor_orig.

Under documents and settings\{username}\Local Settings\Application Data, rename the swtor folder to swtor_original .

The Ramdisk is configured as a 1.2GB fixed disk(haven't tested it thoroughly yet).

Make a text file called swtor ramdisk.bat on your desktop and edit these commands in, adjusting for your system setup. My ramdisk is drive R:

FORMAT /FS:NTFS /FORCE /Q /V:RamDisk /A:512 R:
md R:\swtor
junction -s "{gamepath}\swtor" R:\swtor
junction -s R:\swtor\retailclient "{gamepath}\swtor_orig\retailclient"
md R:\swtordoc\swtor
junction -s "C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Local Settings\Application Data\swtor" R:\swtordoc\
junction -s "R:\swtordoc\swtor\settings" "C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Local Settings\Application Data\swtor_original\swtor\settings"

Save and run the file and you should be good to go. :)

Once it's all setup, the only thing you should have to do is run the batch file after rebooting.

Edited by Antargal