Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Antialiasing on Radeon HD6900 cards?

Laurreth

AMD supposedly fixed AA issues in some games with Catalyst 12.3. While the release notes don't explicitly mention SWOR, they do mention Skyrim, which had an outstanding issue with graphical glitches while AA was enabled in 12.2.

Is the issue fixed in a way that allows using AA in the game being re-enabled for the affected cards by now? It's possible to force it in the control center settings, but there are issues with that, one example being a black screen in FMV playback.

I have a 6970 the AA works fine for me with either in-game settings or forced. Forced still works better though.

I have a 6950, and the in-game setting still has no effect. Forcing it through the driver settings "works", but reliably blacks out videos and sometimes causes horrible performance issues so the game runs at ~5 seconds per frame (not a typo, but optimistic), so it's not an option.

• 1 month later...
AMD supposedly fixed AA issues in some games with Catalyst 12.3. While the release notes don't explicitly mention SWOR, they do mention Skyrim, which had an outstanding issue with graphical glitches while AA was enabled in 12.2.

Is the issue fixed in a way that allows using AA in the game being re-enabled for the affected cards by now? It's possible to force it in the control center settings, but there are issues with that, one example being a black screen in FMV playback.

I have a 6970 using driver version 11.12 with AA forced to 4x in CCC and have never had a problem that's why I never updated the driver. In fact i have never had any of the problems others have with CTD, patching or anything else.

i5 2500K OC @ 4.2

6970 OC @ 950/1425

8 GB Memory

Windows 7 64 Bit SP1

Edited by blowmedown

• 4 weeks later...

It's in 1.3 on PTS now, but the AA options in there don't seem to do much. There's some improvement, but IMO even at the high setting, it still looks way worse than even 2× AA forced in CCC (there are lots and lots of shimmering edges and heavy moirée on high-frequency scenery like stairs), and setting AA to high blacks out video sequences.

My issue with forcing it through the driver was mainly that it'd lead to random massive slowdowns mentioned above. I didn't have crashes, but of course having to kill the client isn't smooth operation either.

I have a 6950 as well (unlocked to 6970) and forcing AA through CCC is the only way for me to get AA in game it has zero effect, but it does affect my other games like say bf3 since i have to put the AA back to default in CCC in order to play or it causes screen artifacts.

Sapphire 6970 @ 950/1425 With AA forced to x4 in CCC driver version 11.12 no issues at all.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.