[bug] Particule acceleration

Vankris

i have noted a thing on my shadow. I think it is a bug, i can't imagine it is intended. I haven't seen a thread reporting it.

When i am under the effect of Particule Acceleration, Project should be a garanty crit.

if i use the ability while under the effect of the buff Particule Acceleration, he pick the rock off the ground, and let it levitate for a few tenth of seconds. If the Particule Acceleration run out during that time, that is i am not under the effect of the buff when the rock hit, it doesn't crit.

In effect that means, i have to use Project, at least 1.5-2 second before it run out, which in turm means, the effective duration of the buff is reduce due to the animation delay.

PS: Is there a forum section to report bug?

Yes the buffs related to Project each follow a different approach... In general they are consumed when the action is physically resolved:

- Harnessed on Activation (When force cost is deducted).

- Calrvoyance & Particle & Potency on impact of the 1st chunk (In case you have Upheaval proc).

Something similar happens with FW for example and Shadow Strike is much faster... If you really go to the limit I have seen the animation starting with FW still up and the force cost been 50 at impact which looks to me as a "buggier" version, tbh (But with SS and Spinning you can never be sure if it's the buff what's wrong on the freaking "looping" animation... That has started to appear again on the recent patches).

In short, hard to say if it's intended or not, but yes "effective" buff duration is shorter... But has been like this since the beggining, AFAIK.

if it's intended, it's not intuitif, but i don't believe it's intended.

Project is an instant spell, not a cast. Once i press the key, the force is consumed. I understand the animation spam over the 1.5s GCD and the damage text appear at the end of the animation, when the rock hit the target.

however,

- I can't cancel the spell, i can't get the force refunded to me, the damage will happens, even if i'm stun during the animation.

- Target HP is reduced as soon as i press the key, not when the rock it.

- Crowd control is broken imediatly, not when the rock hit.

- harnessing shadow buff appear on my buff bar as soon as i presse the key, as my shadow just start lifting the rock off the ground

only the Particule Acceleration buff does not behave accordingly to an instant spell.

I suppose my next question is: How about the sith counterpart? Do they have the same reduced effective uptime of the buff? Cause if no, this is a quantifiable difference in term of power (DPS) between 2 mirror classes.

The Inquisitor spell suffers from the same restriction, it does not activate the buff untill the spell hits the target. However in the inquisitors case, Shock is almost instant, so its rare that it'll fall off Edited by Shardie

- Target HP is reduced as soon as i press the key, not when the rock it.

- Crowd control is broken imediatly, not when the rock hit.

I don't agree on those 2 cases... Damage is really delayed serverside...

...When fighting on teams, plenty of times the mob dies while my chunks are on the air (I don't remember if Clarvoyance, Potency or PA are consumed in those cases... Will test it). And on PvP you can get plenty of cases where the owner of a flying chunk is killed before the chunk hits the other person.

This effect is particularly easy to test... Get a friend and both damage yourselves to the point of been able to be killed by 1 Project and one of his instant powers.

Stay at 10m and both use a synch signal to launch your finishers, you activate your Project and your friend runs away while activating his instant power...

...You will die while your chunk is still flying to him and he will receive no damage at all (If both have latency below 100ms he can even react to the Chunk "lift" to kill you).

Edited by ragamer

...When fighting on teams, plenty of times the mob dies while my chunks are on the air

happens to me to, have the mob die on activation of project, and the rock just hit his corpse.

Easy to verify. engage a mob solo, deactivate your compagnon offensive ability, and monitor carefully its HP bar.

I notice this when i was low level, my rock would hit but i didn't see any HP reduction. Then, i carefully pay attention and realize the HP was reduce upon activation of the spell, even if the damage text still hasn't appear on screen

try it...

happens to me to, have the mob die on activation of project, and the rock just hit his corpse.

Interesting... I remember always seeing the opposite, when I'm alone (I use Tharan with his DoT off) and when the finisher is Project I always see the enemy dying after the rock lands and the big final tick of damage flies up...

...There are some rare "anomalies" when soloing but I always assigned them to Tharan single shot or one of my common procs (Shadow Technique and the Plasma Device)... But will keep my eyes open on solo PvE also.

Easy to verify. engage a mob solo, deactivate your compagnon offensive ability, and monitor carefully its HP bar.

Redid my tests on a wide array of PvE mobs, solo without companion. What I found (with stable latency at 120ms) about Project as finisher:

- The HP loss is synched with the impact. The mob dies AFTER the impact and the flying text appears normally.

- You can use Out of Global cooldown CDs while the proyectile is on its way and they affect the impact. I tested it with relic & potency. Potency is particularly illustrative as you can delay its activation up to 1s AFTER the animation stars and it's correctly consumed and triggering the critical chance. When an overkill Upheaval proc happens (I mean that you get the 2nd chunk but the mob is killed by the original Project impact) the second charge of Potency is NOT consumed and no damage is been shown on the Floating Text.

I was Infil specced on this tests... Are you observing what you comment ONLY when specced for PA? Or also as Infil with Clarvoyance, for example?.

EDIT: I asked a friend to help me by killing mobs after he saw the boulder raising (at 10m) and he managed to kill the mobs always 1st (We didn't use any external synch mechanism) I intentionally wasn't warning him on when I was activating Project. The floating text didn't appear when the boulder hitted the corpse and Clarvoyance & Potency weren't consumed by the aborted hit. Circling Shadows was consumed normally (It happens on energy discount at the beggining of "Project" cast). The PvP results are the same as before.

Edited by ragamer

i accept your findings.

Yes i did observe mob HP decreasing upon activation, not rock hit, but that was before the big "ability delay fix patch" a few month back, never pay attention since, so i was sitting on my old conclusions, but it may have beeen change. haven't have the time to run some test on this.

Still, my point stand, project does not crit if it run out during the animation. If it was a cast, that would be normal but since project is a instant spell, it should take the time of key press, not the rock landing to calculate damage and apply effect on target/player.

PS: Yes always be tank spec.

PS: Yes always be tank spec.

Interesting... I usually spend the 1st half of the week on tank specc... I will test your observations again with PA to see if there is any difference next time I'm on "tanking duty"...

...You never know when you catch a glaring bug, there is the possibility that PA assisted Projects are different... Wouldn't be the 1st time I see on a MMO that a buff affecting a power in reality is programmed as an independent power and, as such, can be subject to completely different behaviour.

Still, my point stand, project does not crit if it run out during the animation. If it was a cast, that would be normal but since project is a instant spell, it should take the time of key press, not the rock landing to calculate damage and apply effect on target/player.

Indeed it does... The delay is so big that is very easy to check, you loose around 1s of effective buff duration.

Edited by ragamer

I don't agree on those 2 cases... Damage is really delayed serverside...

...When fighting on teams, plenty of times the mob dies while my chunks are on the air (I don't remember if Clarvoyance, Potency or PA are consumed in those cases... Will test it). And on PvP you can get plenty of cases where the owner of a flying chunk is killed before the chunk hits the other person.

This effect is particularly easy to test... Get a friend and both damage yourselves to the point of been able to be killed by 1 Project and one of his instant powers.

Stay at 10m and both use a synch signal to launch your finishers, you activate your Project and your friend runs away while activating his instant power...

...You will die while your chunk is still flying to him and he will receive no damage at all (If both have latency below 100ms he can even react to the Chunk "lift" to kill you).

Also, if you fight someone with stealth in PvP they can cloak and escape the damage completely while your boulder just hovers there for a bit. This is part of an old, known bug that has never been completely fixed and most likely isn't going to be fixed.

Edited by RobNightfall

Also, if you fight someone with stealth in PvP they can cloak and escape the damage completely while your boulder just hovers there for a bit. This is part of an old, known bug that has never been completely fixed and most likely isn't going to be fixed.

This makes me want to rage as it should still hit them and pull them out of stealth.

Don't turn this into a "remove the delay" thread please. Thanks.

Personally I don't care what they do with this, but...

...It's infuriating that a power as important as Project is not perfectly mirrored between Factions.

They could make Rep Instant or...

...They could add a slow travelling "Lightning Ball" effect to Sins.

The current situation systematically benefits Sins on any 1v1, and that makes no sense at all.

Edited by ragamer

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.