Mumble Vs Vent

davhut

Servers are about half the price of Vent as well.

The only drawback to mumble is that there is a higher chance for you to echo your speakers if you use a stand mic over vent.

Actually there is a setting in Mumble to turn on echo cancellation now. I use a stand mic and never have any issues

Shouldn't even have to use a third party program, it should be built into the client like EQ2. EQ2's built in VOIP blows vent away. And if it was built into the client they could have auto join channels in warzones and FP's and make PUGs a lot more competitive.

Played EQ2 for almost 4 years, the in game voice chat for groups/raids/guilds was always reliable and very user friendly.

Use Vent. I own a vent server, have for years for raiding in EQ2. The EQ2 VOIP to me was quite unreliable and very buggy and not worth dealing with.

I have had a couple experiences with mumble, none of them were pleasant. I turned raids down in Rift because they used mumble instead of Vent.

It's greyed out for me for whatever reason, same for my fiancee.

There should be a drop down under Audio in the Interface that will let you disable echo, if that doesnt work run the Audio Wizard again and check it when in the screen where you select your device types

How does this work?

Thanks for all the replies. And to answer your question, you just need a dedicated pc. Like I said we are just using an old P4 system a friend had lying around, we are running on windows xp. Download the mumble server software and setup. If you don't have a static like most home users do not just use a free service like http://www.noip.com to setup the ip name. The person that setup the server just used google to figure out the software setup.

Looks like most see mumble as the better way to go though. I agree, free and better quality.

Thanks for the input. I just wanted to see how popular mumble is becoming vs vent and teamspeak.

My guilds been using Team Speak 3. We're pretty happy with it.

My guild has also been using TS3, it offers a lot of server control with very granular security over rooms.

I love the 3D positioning option so that you can put your group leader front centre and push the rest of the chatter around the back of your head. Really helps concentration.

Thanks for all the replies. And to answer your question, you just need a dedicated pc. Like I said we are just using an old P4 system a friend had lying around, we are running on windows xp. Download the mumble server software and setup. If you don't have a static like most home users do not just use a free service like http://www.noip.com to setup the ip name. The person that setup the server just used google to figure out the software setup.

Looks like most see mumble as the better way to go though. I agree, free and better quality.

Thanks for the input. I just wanted to see how popular mumble is becoming vs vent and teamspeak.

There is another option if you have a technically au fait person in the guild. Amazon allow a free micro linux/windows server in EC2 right now for a year.

http://aws.amazon.com/free/

Edited by Bhaers