The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Companion

Rogashi

I've been trying out a powertech as shield tech from the get go. So far it plays pretty decent, even while leveling (overleveling mobs a tad because of lots of missions). I'm about to get my next companion which is a ranged DPS. Is it overall better to use him because of the defensive boosts you get from going shield tech or stick with Mako. Reason is you usually can only gear 1 companion up while leveling, and not sure if you'll have alot of downtime later on at act3 where mobs do hit harder.

If your shieldtech definitely stick with Mako. You literally have no downtime with her. Gault will make the fights slightly faster but you will have to pause to heal after every fight, and your not going to solo champions with him like you can do as a ST with Mako.

I've been trying out a powertech as shield tech from the get go. So far it plays pretty decent, even while leveling (overleveling mobs a tad because of lots of missions). I'm about to get my next companion which is a ranged DPS. Is it overall better to use him because of the defensive boosts you get from going shield tech or stick with Mako. Reason is you usually can only gear 1 companion up while leveling, and not sure if you'll have alot of downtime later on at act3 where mobs do hit harder.

If you're shieldtech then a dps companion is better. I went from lvl32-50 using Torian 99% of the time. That way you wont need to come to the forum and start a thread about the later quest that needs you to kill 2 healers in the same fight. I am not saying people cant do it with Mako, but it is far easier with Gault/Torian.

If you switch to Pyro or AP, then stick with mako. You want your companion to compliment you.

Thanks, I guess once I get torian I'll give him a spin. He says gear with me, so it shouldn't be that hard to keep both mako and him geared. Should I need mako for the ocasional harder missions.

When you first get torian, you will need to invest a decent amount to get him geared. I even had to go to the Republic GTN to find him a purple weapon. After that, it is easy as he will always take your gear that you replace. He is like a mini version of you. He jumps in the middle of the mobs and does some aoe as well. So it is nice when all the mobs are all bunched together, and you aoe everything.

Occasionally you might call Mako on tough Boss fight, or sometimes soloing some hard Heroics. I even used her to main heal some Heroic 4, and even some easy Flashpoints. So make sure to still upgrade her as much as you can.

At 50 I switched to pyro, and I have used Mako/Torian 50/50.