Star Wars Pong

SavageSock

So I have like 7 months of programming experience and I just finished a 2 week project which ended up being a tribute to Pong. I themed it Star Wars, and it has sprite animations featuring Vader, and Luke, against a backdrop of Dromund Kaas, courtesy of this website.

Therefore I figured it'd be suiting to share said game here, and see what everyone thinks. It's nothing super fancy, but I thought it was pretty cool/good for the amount of experience I have :)

Without further ado I present Star Wars Pong!

Download Link

Just make sure that you keep the .exe in the folder with the animations otherwise they won't load correctly. Please take note that this will only run on a Windows OS, and will require the latest .dll of Visual C++. You can find the link on the Microsoft Download Center here

Also feel free to run it through any spyware, or anti-virus scannign software you have, I assure you it's none of those things.

Anyways enjoy, and take note that there is an instructions text file in the folder as well :)

EDIT: Just noticed I posted this in the wrong Forum, needs to be switched over to Star Wars Discussion, sorry guys! :(

Edited by SavageSock

As a programmer and web developer for about 7 years now, i'm always interested in seeing people learning and getting to like this often misunderstood profession. and seeing work done by students and those learning is always interesting.

I wish i didn't need to sign up for 4shared and their email spam to download it, but there isn't really any way to handle that for free. I suppose if it's small enough, i could put it on my server for you, but then the link would be at my site which would be weird for people you show it to.

I'll still give it a look because, well, it's Star Wars. While i do that, can you tell me what language it's written in? What operating system you use? I'll assume I can run it on Windows, but if i can't, that's information worth having.

Ok, some feedback.

1) I can't give you feedback via email, because the instructions file says to use the email address in the info menu in the game. This is a problem, because the game doesn't run.

2) The game gives me an error that a dll file is missing. Depending on the language used, sometimes it relies on the system having access to certain assets that simply don't exist on every machine. This is why many programs have installer packages and/or larger shell programs doing the installation.

I'll find myself a copy of that dll file and see what happens, but that's something you should be aware of. It can be hard to find different machines to test stuff on, and not everyone has access to virtual environment software, but it's something to consider.

Edit:

I found this link: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6580685/what-is-msvcp100d-dll, which might or might not be the issue. I don't use C++, so it is likely I wouldn't have a needed dll from it.

Edit #2: Putting the dll into my system32 folder (which is where it would be expected in any windows environment), appears to have worked, but the error comes up expecting yet another dll that I don't have. I might have to actually install the C++ redistribution package, which, for sending out a program to numerous people, is largely an unacceptable issue.

Edited by IronJelly

I'm sorry about the whole 4Share thing, I posted somewhere else with this and people quickly let me know about that issue, so I've since then moved the file to mediafire. I'll be updating the download link in a minute when I finish posting this.

Anyways, I also had a couple of people run into that problem as well. I did code all of this in Visual Studio 2010 using the latest version of Visual C++. That link that you have there will fix the issue.

Sorry about all that.