The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Rolling a Tank

Michaelsawdey

Hey guys im in Afganistan Finshing up the tour i been leveling a Marader with my horrid lagg not trying to tank and screw people over once i get my Legendary and last name i am going to roll a Tank i been thinking a Power Tech since i already levled a assassin and Had to change servers for a friend leaveing it behind not wanting to level a 2nd one ... even tough a tank that can invis is prity usefull ... But i want a serious opion wich is more Afective AOE and blunt Force Tanking in the Game is a Power tech a serious tank class to use and at the same time a good killer in PVP ?

Powertech is the best aoe brute force tank, has the best aoe threat generation, and relies on absorb rating to avoid incoming dmg instead of avoid so sees fewer spike hits. It is the best positioning with both grapple and charge so its a hard class to be kited with, go to your enemy or bring your enemy to you. Powertech is very survivable in pvp, and while it has great burst on CD with +crit buff, outside of that its dmg is going to feel low to you compared to marauder. I know because my maurader is my second char and hes pvp dmg is killer - though he tends to see less overall kills due to survivability. More DBs, less kills than powertech.

they have different prey though, the PT cant easily burst down a healer so he focuses more on CCing, taunting, guarding, interfering and otherwise limiting the enemy DPS. The marauder takes out the healers from the backline with superior burst, hopefully while everyone's shooting at the tarpit PT making as much noise as poss building player agro.

If you want a tank that can do everything well, powertech is a great choice. At the highest end there are raids that prefer assassins, but these are few and far between. Shieldtech PTs can and have tanked all content in the game atm.

Edited by Prolyfic

The OP is going to roll a tank after he gets his marauder to the end of chapter 1. That's why I was comparing it to marauder because that's what he has experience with. It wasn't intended to be a role comparison, but rather a class comparison to a class he if familiar with.

As a person who took his Jugg tank through Nightmare Ops, I am now very satisfied with my Power Tech Tank. The main reason I find is the balance and smoothness in my tanking rotation. It just feels very fluid and well designed. The most fun I have had with any of the many tanks I have played across various games.